Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i noticed when i was breaking in the cbr is that there is a loss of torque when your rpms reach around 7 to 8 which is why i always shift just before then....after the first service i noticed the cbr pushing further into 8k rpms before i have to shift.. the bike just got more fun :D......maybe its just me but did anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I find that when an engine is brand new, it takes a while for everything to bed in, and when it does, it'll perform better. When I picked my Ninja 250 up from the dealer, he told me that it'd free up after a thousand miles or so. I thought he was having me on to be honest, but he was right. It did feel like it would rev much more freely after about 1k. I can't comment on the CBR, as I've only done just over 100 miles on it so far, but I imagine it will be the same.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I find that when an engine is brand new, it takes a while for everything to bed in, and when it does, it'll perform better. When I picked my Ninja 250 up from the dealer, he told me that it'd free up after a thousand miles or so. I thought he was having me on to be honest, but he was right. It did feel like it would rev much more freely after about 1k. I can't comment on the CBR, as I've only done just over 100 miles on it so far, but I imagine it will be the same.
Yes vary true, the more miles you get on the bike the better it runs. Takes time for the engine to break in

·
Registered
22 Posts
We'll see in an hour or so, I'm just getting my first service done :D

BTW, just wondering, for me it's been 2,5 month now til first service (book says first service after 2month/1000km). I heard in India it's 1month/1000km. How about the U.S. and Europe? Is there any time limit or just 1000km/600mi.? Just wondering why there are different time limits but same km limit everywhere? Any reason?

And I noticed a little decrease in bottom end torque the last week or so, why might that be? Oil got old?

·
Registered
999 Posts
It'll keep getting better & better over the next few thousand miles.
It takes a long time for an engine to fully wear in.

An older very experienced mechanic once told me that an engine breaks in through out it's entire life and an engine never runs better than it does just before exploding :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I had that exact same issue when I got it new, couldn't even get much over 80kmph because it was a bit sluggish... started to get better over the first 1000 km, but then I got the first service (in Canada it's 1month/1000km), and everything just zipped!

Throttle was tighter, brakes were much more responsive, overall she (my bike) seemed so much happier! Very very happy with how she ran, though now she's in storage till march :(

all I can say is, at least they only get better!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I can only assume (uh-oh :D) but what would make sense to me is that Honda is planning on dusty riding conditions in India. That's just my educated guess, I've never been there.

·
Registered
40 Posts
An older very experienced mechanic once told me that an engine breaks in through out it's entire life and an engine never runs better than it does just before exploding :D

I'll second that... something to do with the engine tolerance's being at there optimum I believe :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts