Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders. I've had my cbr250r for a yr now and decided to keep it as a daily comutter. I just bought taller tires and a set of 15/36t sprokets. I will report my findings once i install them. Right now a am getting about 55mpg and my goal is to get to 65mpg. I do not know if it's duable but ill try. Mod suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Welcome.

You have picked the right cycle for MPG. There are members here that have gotten over 100 MPG with their CBR - so it's doable.

There is a point where tall gearing isn't going to show improvements, but overall it should help. It does depend on your type of riding as well as your size/weight.

Search for posts by "Sendler" for some ideas for mods, or he may chime in.

He has a large tail that helped with mileage, and a few other things I'm sure.

The type of riding you do will effect it a lot. What do you do with it mostly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do some canyon riding here and there but I use it mostly for 1hr-3hr trips. This mostly highway speeds (thats why i got taller gearing) i do find myself riding at 80mph - 85mph most of the time (i know that doesn't help lol) and ive lost about 20lbs myself and looking to loose another 20. I read that i should leave the exahust alone and honestly I dont want to spend big bucks on the bike. Ill search for what you mentioned. Thank you for chiming in.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
Fuel economy really drops off when running the 250R at highway speeds above 65 MPH.

In other words, 55-60 MPG is what you can expect when running WOT. And for a heavier rider, changing to taller gearing isn't likely to improve MPG's. Those riders who do see a fuel economy improvement with taller sprocket ratios are typically on the lighter side of the weight spectrum... like in the range of 130 to 150 lbs. with all their riding gear.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
As Mike noted - speed kills mileage.

For most vehicles, 45 MPH is where mileage peaks - and it's all downhill from there.

Slowing down is the easiest way to improve mileage as long as you are at a safe speed.

A larger windscreen may help mileage also. It's probably more frontal area, but directs the air over your helmet and shoulders better.

As also noted, there is a point at high speeds where too tall of gearing will drop the RPMs to a point where less power is available, and top speed in top gear may be reduced.

EDIT: Knowing your engine's torque peak RPM can also be beneficial when modding for mileage. Cruising at the torque peak puts the engine in its most efficient range normally. You need to balance that with the lowest RPMs and minimal throttle opening.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys for the help
Like you guys mentioned the gearing did not help It just made the bike boring haha. I plan to go back to the stock sproket on the front but I think ill be keeping the 36t for the back. For what you guys have told me there isn'tt much I can do to improme mpg other than loosing weight (i weigh 188lb goal is 170lb) so ill go the oposite route. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the bike more fun to drive maybe some powermods that dont brake the bank?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Like you guys mentioned the gearing did not help It just made the bike boring haha. I plan to go back to the stock sproket on the front but I think ill be keeping the 36t for the back. For what you guys have told me there isn'tt much I can do to improme mpg other than loosing weight (i weigh 188lb goal is 170lb) so ill go the oposite route. Do you have any suggestions on how to make the bike more fun to drive maybe some powermods that dont brake the bank?
There aren't any simple mods that are going to really "wake up" the CBR like there are with some bikes. The CBR is best in mid-range, mid-speed, riding where the single's torque is best utilized. It's never going to be great on the hwy, though it is somewhat do-able.

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
Changing to the 15T/36T sprocket combo was a big step on the chart towards a taller final drive ratio, compared to the 14T/38T stock ratio... +1 tooth on the front sprocket is about equal to - 2 on the rear sprocket. Have to be a really light weight rider to ride this bike with such a tall final drive ratio.

As for making the bike fun to ride, definitely go back to the stock gearing (both F&R sprockets).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts