Votes: 3 33.3%
  • For now; but don't give up your passion forever

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after owning my 2011 CBR for nearly 10 years, it finally happened. I was on my way home from work and had reached my housing subdivision. While waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left, I was rear-ended by a motorist who was not paying attention, and insisted he "Did not see me.".

Turn signal on, brake light on, reflective jacket, reflective helmet, stopped for a good 10 seconds. Sun behind us, flat road, sunny, light traffic. No excuse.

I was thrown backwards onto his hood, shattering his windshield, deploying his airbag, and caving in the front of his roof. He was traveling approximately 50mph and had no indication he tried to stop or slow down. I was wearing full gear as I do for every ride, and was thrown 144 feet down the road where I came to rest between my fallen steed and his vehicle. I emerged with no injuries (ER confirmed), and only neck/back muscle pain. In fact, I was in such good shape, I'm sure the insurance company is flagging the report as too extreme to be true.

I'm meeting the adjuster this morning, and I'm 100% sure the bike will be totaled. The bike fared relatively well considering. I am going to attempt to save the bike as she deserves as much, although this obviously hinges on how much I can purchase it back for from the insurance company.

I am also unsure as to my riding future. I've gotten many trouble-free and accident-free years of riding, and enjoyed all of it. I've now survived a near-unsurvivable accident, with no injuries. I do not have children, but have a wife with a chronic condition that requires my attention and help, from now until the end of our lives. I had been contemplating stopping riding well before this due to that fact, but could not bring myself to sell the bike that had served me as well as it had. This is probably the tipping point to shift my decisions for the later part of life. As much as I enjoy riding, this like other things in life, will shift and change as we move through it.

I will still be a part of this forum and will be dropping in from time to time. But it will likely be years before my leg swings over another bike; probably when I'm too old to care anymore. :)

Everyone be safe. Realize no one sees or cares about you out there. Keep your head on a swivel, but know there are some situations you cannot account for and must always be prepared for. ATG, ATT = All the gear, ALL the time.

Just for funzies, there's a poll to see what side of the fence people sway on (or sit in the middle of). :)

Many thanks to many members of this forum; many of whom have not been online for a couple of years. Many have likely moved on to other bikes and forums. Shisoshin, live_to_ride, MotoMike, TrueFaith, cbrdave, and many, many others.

Much love.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
That sounds nasty. Glad you made it without serious injuries.

You were doing all the right things.

I have a very similar situation when entering my subdivision, and think about it all the time. I do all the same precautions you did, but also keep one eye on the mirror and plan an exit. I also hug the centerline when stopped and waiting. If traffic is heavy I will enter in a different location where I have a turn lane that breaks-off from the main lane.

That's a tough call. I've crashed hard before, but haven't ever been struck by another vehicle.

I'd probably take some time off and think it over, but most likely would get back on.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Glad to hear you made it out without serious injuries!

I wouldn't try to fix bike, it most likely has bent frame. Don't let them low-ball your settlement, take them to cleaners!

Then take break from riding for bit. Eventually you'll see bike that catches your fancy. Then you'll know you're ready to get back on.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks for the shout-out, cbrlocal. I've enjoyed your contributions to the forum as well and I'm very thankful that you survived this horrible incident unscathed!!
I've been riding since 1980 and have been relatively lucky in all that time. Once I was sideswiped in traffic, but I managed to keep the bike upright even though my knee had been crushed 4" into my gas tank from the impact. The second incident involved a low-speed washout on gravel. I should have been able to walk away from that lowside, but the clutch lever deeply punctured my thigh during the crash and I spent a week in the hospital after almost bleeding out in the ambulance on the way to the ER. The bike was declared a total loss, but I was determined to keep riding and had my dealer deliver a brand new bike to my home while I was still limping around in my cast. I had many of the doubts you're now feeling as my leg healed and regaining my confidence on the new bike didn't happen overnight, but my love of riding was too great to ever seriously consider quitting.
Allow yourself some time to process what happened before calling it quits. The accident and all the second-guessing that comes with it is still very fresh in your mind. A little time and distance does wonders in a situation like this and it is far too early to be making life choices that are set in stone. Even if you do eventually decide to stop riding it's not a decision that should be made while the accident (and any possible PTSD from it) are still so directly impacting your thoughts.
It's a curious thing, but the trauma of an accident will tend to fade over time while the joy of doing something you love rarely does. It's much too early in the process to write yourself off just yet.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the support guys. I've always loved riding the bike and never felt the need to swap/upgrade. I've loved being around the forum as well, and we have a great community that while has slowed and seemingly been lost to time, we're still here. :)

I was over to the left of the lane; it's a two-lane road. Rear mirrors were clear, and I was watching the traffic for a gap. I was maybe 1-2 seconds away from making my turn, when I saw the driver approaching in my left side mirror at a high rate of speed and it was obvious he wasn't going to stop. There was no time to react or move; maybe a quarter of a second. Just enough time to process what was going to happen and make your peace.

As far as I can tell the frame is ok, and now that the adjuster has inspected the bike I can pull off the plastics and get a better look at it before they attempt to lowball me. It was of course the other driver's fault, so hopefully they can find his current/up to date insurance amount and recoup their costs. The subframe and rear wheel seem to have taken nearly all the impact, and are decently easy to change. Have to get the bike squared and get some measurements before I decide though.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Wow, glad you came out unharmed. I've never crashed in my 7 years of riding ( once dropped the bike with me on it in the first week but that was that) so I can't really comment on your question. I would wait some time and see how you feel then.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
234 Posts
So, after owning my 2011 CBR for nearly 10 years, it finally happened. I was on my way home from work and had reached my housing subdivision. While waiting for traffic to clear so I could turn left, I was rear-ended by a motorist who was not paying attention, and insisted he "Did not see me.".

Turn signal on, brake light on, reflective jacket, reflective helmet, stopped for a good 10 seconds. Sun behind us, flat road, sunny, light traffic. No excuse.

I was thrown backwards onto his hood, shattering his windshield, deploying his airbag, and caving in the front of his roof. He was traveling approximately 50mph and had no indication he tried to stop or slow down. I was wearing full gear as I do for every ride, and was thrown 144 feet down the road where I came to rest between my fallen steed and his vehicle. I emerged with no injuries (ER confirmed), and only neck/back muscle pain. In fact, I was in such good shape, I'm sure the insurance company is flagging the report as too extreme to be true.

I'm meeting the adjuster this morning, and I'm 100% sure the bike will be totaled. The bike fared relatively well considering. I am going to attempt to save the bike as she deserves as much, although this obviously hinges on how much I can purchase it back for from the insurance company.

I am also unsure as to my riding future. I've gotten many trouble-free and accident-free years of riding, and enjoyed all of it. I've now survived a near-unsurvivable accident, with no injuries. I do not have children, but have a wife with a chronic condition that requires my attention and help, from now until the end of our lives. I had been contemplating stopping riding well before this due to that fact, but could not bring myself to sell the bike that had served me as well as it had. This is probably the tipping point to shift my decisions for the later part of life. As much as I enjoy riding, this like other things in life, will shift and change as we move through it.

I will still be a part of this forum and will be dropping in from time to time. But it will likely be years before my leg swings over another bike; probably when I'm too old to care anymore. :)

Everyone be safe. Realize no one sees or cares about you out there. Keep your head on a swivel, but know there are some situations you cannot account for and must always be prepared for. ATG, ATT = All the gear, ALL the time.

Just for funzies, there's a poll to see what side of the fence people sway on (or sit in the middle of). :)

Many thanks to many members of this forum; many of whom have not been online for a couple of years. Many have likely moved on to other bikes and forums. Shisoshin, live_to_ride, MotoMike, TrueFaith, cbrdave, and many, many others.

Much love.

View attachment 44772
WOW, It is always good that the Goddess Of Fortune Of Luck pops up for a visit at the right time. I also received such a visit ...🤦‍♂️

I am missing an option in the survey: Get back to riding tomorrow, and then decide...? YES

When you fall off the horse, the first thing you do immediately afterwards is get on it again.
To separate the economic considerations regarding the repair of the motorcycle, and to deal with the emotional damage, rent a motorcycle tomorrow and go for a nice ride in your area.
Then you will also be free to make the other logical decisions.

Riding on motorcycle is dangerous, at least like other extreme hobbies, sometimes maybe more. Some of us will die from it. So why are we riding? This is a heavy question! I sometimes have retirement appeals, it's dangerous, on the other hand I live to do things I love ... I don't think there is an yes or no answer that is right for this dilemma.
Emotion like love cannot be explained in words (It is possible, but it will never be accurate).

·
Registered
39 Posts
What was suppose to say has been rightfully said by senior rider. Many of you guys are has experience an
What I think about riding is freedom i.e free from boundaries (safety, health, family etc. etc.). Depending upon % of freedom, every one rides for longer or shorter distance. Incidents can happen anywhere no matter of what mode of transportation you choose, it's just matter of risk.
Risk is what making you think about future preferences but that's why sometimes things has to do differently that normally like you can still ride on race tracks or any other kind of tracks. So, I'll be in the favour of what you said on first place.
Happy to hear that you are not severely injured.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The driver was ticketed/cited, but for what I don't know. That was a discussion with him and the officer, and my report over a week later is still not showing up in the system. :cautious:

I do know he did not go to jail and left on his own accord, smoking cigarrettes and concerned with getting a ride home, and jokingly wishing me to "Have a good day sir." :rolleyes:

That being said, now that I got a call from his insurance company saying he was uninsured and not covered, there may very well be an arrest in his future when you tack driving without insurance along with the other charges on.

Reactions: Vishal993

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
(SNIP)
That being said, now that I got a call from his insurance company saying he was uninsured and not covered, there may very well be an arrest in his future when you tack driving without insurance along with the other charges on.
Why would an insurance company call you to tell you someone wasn't insured with them?

If he doesn't actually have insurance, your insurance company should cover it under your "Uninsured Motorist" coverage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So the POS also lied to you (and probably the cop) that he had insurance, and when you called to follow up the company told you the policy had lapsed or didn’t exist? Your insurance company needs to know that as it considers whether to file a suit against the driver to recover what it has to pay to you. Sorry this all happened to you.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the POS also lied to you (and probably the cop) that he had insurance, and when you called to follow up the company told you the policy had lapsed or didn’t exist? Your insurance company needs to know that as it considers whether to file a suit against the driver to recover what it has to pay to you. Sorry this all happened to you.
Yep; first thing I did was call my insurance company to inform them to make a note, then I followed up with his insurance information that was provided for a claim. This is called a 'third party claim', where you deal strictly with the at-fault driver's insurance and don't have to involve yours. Unfortunately in an event such as this, you do have to involve yours as a first-party claim with uninsured/underinsured. Technically this isn't supposed to count against you as a claim since you're not at-fault, but insurance companies are about as trustworthy as coke dealers. :)

The weird thing is his insurance rep said his vehicle wasn't covered under that policy number, so they had to deny the claim. Insurance follows the driver, not the vehicle. I'm sure he didn't have collision coverage on his vehicle, but his liability follows him so if he had insurance with them at all, they shouldn't have denied the claim. So who knows at this point.

That being said, since they're greedy greedy companies, my insurance will go after him with a vengeance after they pay me. Since I'm 99% sure he doesn't have the funds to cover it, if his insurance does indeed fall through, he's likely going to be seeing the backside of prison bars anyway.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update: Only charges filed were no operator's license (of which he has a prior and additional court date for as well) and failure to reduce speed. In this state, that's $100 fine maximum and 60 days in jail. He'll never see jail.

Amazing that you nearly kill someone, and can go to court, pay $100, and walk out free to do it again.

My life is apparently worth $100. Love the judicial system.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Speeding = "My gauge stopped working."
Wreckless driving = "My foot slipped off the brake."
Running stop light = "I couldn't stop fast enough."
Motorcycle in any situation = "I didn't see him."

Always excuses and victimization. Never any responsibility.

Only thing I can hope for is my insurance pays out, then goes after him with a vengeance for reimbursement.

Reactions: TrueFaith

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Update: Only charges filed were no operator's license (of which he has a prior and additional court date for as well) and failure to reduce speed. In this state, that's $100 fine maximum and 60 days in jail. He'll never see jail.

Amazing that you nearly kill someone, and can go to court, pay $100, and walk out free to do it again.

My life is apparently worth $100. Love the judicial system.
I'm guessing he had insurance at one point, but because he has no valid driver's license, he wouldn't have current insurance.

These drivers are all over. Their cars are usually beat-up, and their driving shows a lack of skill or concern. Saw a similar driver the other day. You can just tell they are trouble. I could have passed this driver, who was going slower than normal, but stayed behind. I always feel it's the safest to stay behind a bad driver.

This guy was just an accident waiting to happen. Too bad he found you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Holy crap that's a big hit - glad you're ok.
I'm back here after totalling my (bought new) Moriwaki edition in 2017 after she took me on a beautiful 80,000km of commuting and weekend travels. I'm 51 and have been riding since I was 6 on dirt bikes in the country, so it wasn't my first nor last crash. I just enjoy riding, and although my main bike at the moment is an R1, I've bought another 2012 cbr250 to teach my daughter to ride (and yeah for me to enjoy too :) ). Yes her leathers and boots and gloves cost more than the bike but it's my investment in her so that she can enjoy motorcycling life too.
I've ticked the third box in your survey - it's one f#ck of a hit that you've taken, have a break for a bit and maybe re-assess.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts