• No; once a rider, always a rider

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • For now; but don't give up your passion forever

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
That sounds nasty. Glad you made it without serious injuries.

You were doing all the right things.

I have a very similar situation when entering my subdivision, and think about it all the time. I do all the same precautions you did, but also keep one eye on the mirror and plan an exit. I also hug the centerline when stopped and waiting. If traffic is heavy I will enter in a different location where I have a turn lane that breaks-off from the main lane.

That's a tough call. I've crashed hard before, but haven't ever been struck by another vehicle.

I'd probably take some time off and think it over, but most likely would get back on.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
(SNIP)
That being said, now that I got a call from his insurance company saying he was uninsured and not covered, there may very well be an arrest in his future when you tack driving without insurance along with the other charges on.
Why would an insurance company call you to tell you someone wasn't insured with them?

If he doesn't actually have insurance, your insurance company should cover it under your "Uninsured Motorist" coverage.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Update: Only charges filed were no operator's license (of which he has a prior and additional court date for as well) and failure to reduce speed. In this state, that's $100 fine maximum and 60 days in jail. He'll never see jail.

Amazing that you nearly kill someone, and can go to court, pay $100, and walk out free to do it again.

My life is apparently worth $100. Love the judicial system.
I'm guessing he had insurance at one point, but because he has no valid driver's license, he wouldn't have current insurance.

These drivers are all over. Their cars are usually beat-up, and their driving shows a lack of skill or concern. Saw a similar driver the other day. You can just tell they are trouble. I could have passed this driver, who was going slower than normal, but stayed behind. I always feel it's the safest to stay behind a bad driver.

This guy was just an accident waiting to happen. Too bad he found you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts