• No; once a rider, always a rider

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • For now; but don't give up your passion forever

Votes: 6 66.7%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Thanks for the shout-out, cbrlocal. I've enjoyed your contributions to the forum as well and I'm very thankful that you survived this horrible incident unscathed!!
I've been riding since 1980 and have been relatively lucky in all that time. Once I was sideswiped in traffic, but I managed to keep the bike upright even though my knee had been crushed 4" into my gas tank from the impact. The second incident involved a low-speed washout on gravel. I should have been able to walk away from that lowside, but the clutch lever deeply punctured my thigh during the crash and I spent a week in the hospital after almost bleeding out in the ambulance on the way to the ER. The bike was declared a total loss, but I was determined to keep riding and had my dealer deliver a brand new bike to my home while I was still limping around in my cast. I had many of the doubts you're now feeling as my leg healed and regaining my confidence on the new bike didn't happen overnight, but my love of riding was too great to ever seriously consider quitting.
Allow yourself some time to process what happened before calling it quits. The accident and all the second-guessing that comes with it is still very fresh in your mind. A little time and distance does wonders in a situation like this and it is far too early to be making life choices that are set in stone. Even if you do eventually decide to stop riding it's not a decision that should be made while the accident (and any possible PTSD from it) are still so directly impacting your thoughts.
It's a curious thing, but the trauma of an accident will tend to fade over time while the joy of doing something you love rarely does. It's much too early in the process to write yourself off just yet.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Several years ago I was out for a walk and I saw an ambulance run a stop sign and t-bone a car that had the right-of-way. The girl driving it was unhurt, but her car was a mess and she was almost hysterical. I wrote down my contact info on a piece of paper and pressed it into her hand, telling her to have her insurance company call me if they needed an eye witness to the accident. 5 months later she called me and said that not only was the insurance company not paying her claim, but the ambulance company was claiming she was at fault (!!!) A few days later the insurance company finally called and I provided my eye witness account. She called me again a few weeks later thanking me profusely as the insurance company had assigned fault to the ambulance and was finally paying her thousands of dollars in medical and damage claims. If I hadn't taken the time to make sure she knew how to contact me that poor girl would have been steamrolled by the ambulance company's insurance provider.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts