• No; once a rider, always a rider

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • For now; but don't give up your passion forever

Votes: 6 75.0%
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Wow, just saw this post. That's some serious impact. I'm glad you're okay-in fact, I'm surprised you're still in one piece.

Giving up motorcycling to minimize your risks certainly makes sense, so nothing happens to hinder your ability to look after your wife. However, I would suggest that you not rush to judgement. Just take your time.

Not with a motorcycle, but have had few occasions where the other driver didn't have a valid insurance. At least from my experience, incidents were not counted against me with my insurance.

I've also had in the past an experience of buying back my motorcycle involved in an accident. Actually, the accident just involved a tip over by a driver pulling out of a parking slot, where the driver started to initiate a turn too quickly hitting my motorcycle parked next to the slot where the driver was pulling out from. I was actually shocked that the bike was declared totaled. I think typical buyback price for a motorcycle is $750, so may not be worthwhile if your insurance ask that much.

Hope you heal completely soon. BTW, I don't visit this site as much as I used to, but still stop by from time to time. Also, I still have my CBR250R.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I happy happy to read you survived what could have been a very serious incident.
As a motorcyclist in the UK. I would say you've had your run on bikes; and judging by your own comments on your future; I would suggest using the insurance payment for a car.
While for me a bike is a perfect vehicle; It's not exactly practical when you need to go grocery shopping etc.
As you also highlighted in your post; It's everyone else on the road that is a danger.
Accidents are exactly as their name describes.
Unless your rear ended by a **** in a car when your on a bike; in which case the biker becomes an organ doner and the car driver gets an increase in their insurance payments.
You've lucked out and hit the road traffic accident equivalent of the lottery. I wish you every success with your life and future. However, if you gamble, I'd suggest you're going to be on a long losing streak.

That being said; riding a bike on private land or on a track is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on and certainly better than sex.

Buy a car; turn your 250 into a track weapon and live a long life??

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I happy happy to read you survived what could have been a very serious incident.
As a motorcyclist in the UK. I would say you've had your run on bikes; and judging by your own comments on your future; I would suggest using the insurance payment for a car.
While for me a bike is a perfect vehicle; It's not exactly practical when you need to go grocery shopping etc.
As you also highlighted in your post; It's everyone else on the road that is a danger.
Accidents are exactly as their name describes.
Unless your rear ended by a **** in a car when your on a bike; in which case the biker becomes an organ doner and the car driver gets an increase in their insurance payments.
You've lucked out and hit the road traffic accident equivalent of the lottery. I wish you every success with your life and future. However, if you gamble, I'd suggest you're going to be on a long losing streak.

That being said; riding a bike on private land or on a track is probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on and certainly better than sex.

Buy a car; turn your 250 into a track weapon and live a long life??
No tracks around here; I don't race or really participate in that past-time. It's just pleasure/transportation for me. I already have a car; it was just too nice of weather (2-day stretch of 79 degrees and sunny) to not ride. :/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Everyone be safe. Realize no one sees or cares about you out there. Keep your head on a swivel, but know there are some situations you cannot account for and must always be prepared for. ATG, ATT = All the gear, ALL the time.

Just for funzies, there's a poll to see what side of the fence people sway on (or sit in the middle of). :)

Many thanks to many members of this forum; many of whom have not been online for a couple of years. Many have likely moved on to other bikes and forums. Shisoshin, live_to_ride, MotoMike, TrueFaith, cbrdave, and many, many others.

Much
First, i'm so glad you are ok. I'm sure that whatever decision you make will be the right one.

I would like to see a breakdown of your gear and the damage it suffered. It's so amazing that you were able to walk away.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Update: Only charges filed were no operator's license (of which he has a prior and additional court date for as well) and failure to reduce speed. In this state, that's $100 fine maximum and 60 days in jail. He'll never see jail.

Amazing that you nearly kill someone, and can go to court, pay $100, and walk out free to do it again.

My life is apparently worth $100. Love the judicial system.
That sucks, what kind of judicial system is that

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah! He with the most money and power wins!

About decade ago, my sister-in-law was rear-ended at stop-light by new police-chief of her town. Car was totaled, she had severe injuries, missed several months of work. Initially at scene, he said to call their office and she'd be taken care of. When she did, guess what happened? Nothing!

Their insurance wouldn't pay for her car or medical bills. No govt office would even listen to her, nowhere to file any kind of complaint. She tried getting personal-injury attourney to help. None of them would take case after hearing it was the police-chief involved.

Guy that ran red-light and killed my brother didn't even get so much as traffic-citation! Police-report claimed my brother was one that ran red-light, even though numerous eye-witnesses claimed otherwise and his helmet-cam showed green light for him.

Whoever thinks that life should be fair is an idiot! Having ridden for 37-yrs and never getting hit, I suspect my pessimistic they're-out-to-get-you attitude has helped keep me safe. :p

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Several years ago I was out for a walk and I saw an ambulance run a stop sign and t-bone a car that had the right-of-way. The girl driving it was unhurt, but her car was a mess and she was almost hysterical. I wrote down my contact info on a piece of paper and pressed it into her hand, telling her to have her insurance company call me if they needed an eye witness to the accident. 5 months later she called me and said that not only was the insurance company not paying her claim, but the ambulance company was claiming she was at fault (!!!) A few days later the insurance company finally called and I provided my eye witness account. She called me again a few weeks later thanking me profusely as the insurance company had assigned fault to the ambulance and was finally paying her thousands of dollars in medical and damage claims. If I hadn't taken the time to make sure she knew how to contact me that poor girl would have been steamrolled by the ambulance company's insurance provider.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
It's usually good to get a lawyer in such cases. I've had some problems with the insurance company of a truck that damaged my parked car and the lawyers made sure they paid up. The insurance company tried several times to reduce the amount of money to pay but the lawyers knew their game and always came out on top. Best thing was they were contractors of my repair shop so I got their services for free.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Glad to listen that you are unharmed. Ridding is a passion it won't go easily have some rest, listen to your heart, and then decide.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts