Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since my first service about 300 miles ago, my bike has had an issue that I havent really seen posted about here. I start it up, and even when I let it warm up to a bar or two on the temp gauge, it will lug a bit then die after giving it some gas then letting go of the throttle. its like it can't maintain its idle speed. This is in neutral or first-anytime I come to a stop in the first five minutes of my ride. It only happens in first when I'm moving, it has never put me in danger, but it shouldn't be happening. It's worse on the cold (took me five minutes to even get the bike started yesterday in 37 degree weather) but it happens in warmth, too.

They also mangled the bigger cap on the crankcase because they didn't have the specialized tool, and won't til January. Ho hum. Dealership picked the bike up at my house and is putting it at the top of theory priority list to get it diagnosed and fixed. Pretty happy about that, at least. Looks like I'll be scooting around on the Aprilia this week.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dudette. Heh. I'm not happy that my bike is messed up, but I'm very pleased with how the dealer is handling it.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Im surprised how many people have problems with there bike after there first service. Problems they didnt have before ?????? Makes you wonder how many mechanics really know what there doing.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
My sorry dealer doesn't even have drop off or pick up and looks for any way they can to milk every dollar possible out of you every time they are within arms reach...I haven't had any mechanical problems yet and with their customer service i hope i continue not to...
Hope you get back in the saddle before it gets too cold up there :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on riding regularly until the first snow/salt, and then on clear warm days during winter. We get enough randomly that I am not going to totally put my bike away for the season.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Sounds like the idle is set too low.

If you are going to ride as it gets colder, make sure you keep the tank full most of the time to prevent condensation problems. Use Ethanol-free gas if possible also. Check tire pressures before every ride, as temp swings will change them significantly. I'd use a 5W-30 or 5W-40 cycle oil instead of 10W.

Buy some sliders if you don't have them already.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It idles at the right speed, but it has a hard time getting back up to that speed initially. Once any salt or slag goes down, I won't ride-ill only ride on warm days (we get random days in the 50s) after its rained to wash the crud off the roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
paint on the engine of cbr 250r peeling off..

purchased a cbr 4 months back..am new to owning a bike..have a couple of doubts..

1. is it alright for the paint on the cylinder to peel off in 4 months time?

2.is it alright if there is rusting at several places?

IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5654.JPG

IMG_5658.JPG

IMG_5660.JPG

what do you think should be done now??

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
purchased a cbr 4 months back..am new to owning a bike..have a couple of doubts..

1. is it alright for the paint on the cylinder to peel off in 4 months time?

2.is it alright if there is rusting at several places?

View attachment 705

View attachment 706

View attachment 707

View attachment 708

what do you think should be done now??
1- Its ok for a sadly neglected motorcycle thats obviously been ridden in salt, never washed or garaged, and severely neglected.
WD40/ Inox is your friend.
(DISCLAIMER.. if are washing it... please throw that product away)

2- If you are too lazy to even lube a chain I can just imagine the rest of the motorcycle.

3- Sell it to the wreckers and take up walking.

4- welcome to your first forum post.. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
That looks like it's been immersed in salt water. Although Aufitt is right.. oil your bloody chain. Also how have you washed it. that could be the problem.
If it has happened within 4 months i would seriously go back to your dealer asking questions. That is not right.
where do you live?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow another Aprilia owner here, I saw someone with a Mana here also.

I had been anxiously waiting the new RS4125 and also looked at a Mana, but ended up with the CBR.

Keep us posted on what they find.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
That is pretty bad.

I would say some of that is a coating failure problem - the cylinders shouldn't peel and the lower triple shouldn't rust underneath - no matter what environment it's in.

Are you near the ocean? It looks like acidic moisture is constantly sitting on it.

The chain is your responsibility. That's why you aren't getting many positive comments. It's your job to keep lube or wax on it so it doesn't rust like that, so that would be typical of neglect.

Jay

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, threadjack much, with the rust. That looks terrible.

Wow another Aprilia owner here, I saw someone with a Mana here also.

I had been anxiously waiting the new RS4125 and also looked at a Mana, but ended up with the CBR.

Keep us posted on what they find.
I have a modded SR50 R Factory. Sadly, I'm selling it soon, but I really don't want to--it's my baby. I need the cash right now, and it doesn't make sense for me to have two bikes and no car at this point in my life. Someday I will own another SR50, though, and/or a bigger Aprilia. I would love if they came out with a midsize (~450-650cc) version of the RSV. (Though my dream is that someday I will come upon an RS250...sighhhh).

Just for kicks:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Wow, threadjack much, with the rust. That looks terrible.

I have a modded SR50 R Factory. Sadly, I'm selling it soon, but I really don't want to--it's my baby. I need the cash right now, and it doesn't make sense for me to have two bikes and no car at this point in my life. Someday I will own another SR50, though, and/or a bigger Aprilia. I would love if they came out with a midsize (~450-650cc) version of the RSV. (Though my dream is that someday I will come upon an RS250...sighhhh).

Just for kicks:
Nice photo and good looking SR50!

Those are valid and realistic reasons. Another Aprilia will come your way someday in the future.

·
Registered
41 Posts
tht guy with rusted chain lives in india.. people here are not very well aware of how to wash n keep a bike clean as it is alot dusty compared to the places u guys live. Even if a bike is washed in morning, its a lot dustier by the time its evening. Its very difficult to wash a bike from all the underneath and internal areas everyday (but not impossible).
btw thanks for posting those pictures because now i can keep a watch on what all areas i wil have to keep clean when i get the bike :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also mentioned the rattle that many people, including me, seem to have. He said he'd try and figure that out while he was at it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts