Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, Just before I collected my bike from the dealer in late April, (Tricolour non-abs), the dealer called to say that the mode and reset buttons were not working. 6 weeks later I'm still waiting for him to get hold of a new pack, the current promise being the start of July. Has anyone else got the same problem with their instrument pack? I've tried every combination of press and hold etc but nothing gets any response from the display.

CBRNewbie

·
Registered
64 Posts
Mine are difficult to press, especially with gloves on. I pretty much have to use my thumbnail to press in the center of the button to get it to work. But you probably already tried that. I think those buttons are the only things on my motorcycle I don't like.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Mine are difficult to press, especially with gloves on. I pretty much have to use my thumbnail to press in the center of the button to get it to work. But you probably already tried that. I think those buttons are the only things on my motorcycle I don't like.
Same here. I'm going to point it out on my 600 mile service and maybe Honda will eventually admit to a design fault and send out a recall on the unit. Hopefully the internal switches can be replaced on their own.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Does sound like the connection ont he harness are loose somewhere, and they didnt do a very goo job assembling some of these bikes!

·
Registered
706 Posts
This seams to be a universal problem. Hope they do recall it...

·
Registered
706 Posts
Knowing that they are using the same kind of buttons like you find in calculators and some keyboards, all that probably happened is they did not clean the circuit boards well enough before assembly. If one opened it up and cleaned the contacts with some rubbing alcohol or electrical contact cleaner (which is rubbing alcohol anyways...) I bet they would work flawlessly. I may try it for you guys if I have time, it's a piece of cake.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Buttons

I agree with madd - CBRNewbie, keep pressing them
About once a week I have another go at getting them to work. My current method is a blunt pencil pressed into the centre of each button as hard as I can. Still no joy with either, but I'll keep trying.

·
Registered
706 Posts
About once a week I have another go at getting them to work. My current method is a blunt pencil pressed into the centre of each button as hard as I can. Still no joy with either, but I'll keep trying.
Pressure isn't the problem, the buttons are touching they are just not making proper contact.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clean

Knowing that they are using the same kind of buttons like you find in calculators and some keyboards, all that probably happened is they did not clean the circuit boards well enough before assembly. If one opened it up and cleaned the contacts with some rubbing alcohol or electrical contact cleaner (which is rubbing alcohol anyways...) I bet they would work flawlessly. I may try it for you guys if I have time, it's a piece of cake.
Saw your comment about pressure and the quote above. I may do as you suggest. It's being changed anyway so it doesn't really matter if I make a mess of it. I'll see if I can get inside it in the next couple of days. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Saw your comment about pressure and the quote above. I may do as you suggest. It's being changed anyway so it doesn't really matter if I make a mess of it. I'll see if I can get inside it in the next couple of days. Thanks for the suggestion.
Well... be careful, don't VOID the warranty trying to fix it or anything....

disclaimer, if you try it and void your warranty, not my problem

But if it's like it looks, just 4 screws or something to take it apart, then it should slide apart with the buttons still on the cover. Then just a little cloth with alcohol and go.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't Worry

Well... be careful, don't VOID the warranty trying to fix it or anything....

disclaimer, if you try it and void your warranty, not my problem

But if it's like it looks, just 4 screws or something to take it apart, then it should slide apart with the buttons still on the cover. Then just a little cloth with alcohol and go.
Don't worry Somebody5788, On the basis that they (the Dealer) told me it wasn't working before I collected the bike there shouldn't be a problem. I'll be careful anyway, they won't even know I've been messing inside. If it looks too difficult to get apart I'll leave it alone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I tried....sneaky Honda

Well I took the pack off the bike to try to fix the buttons....but sneaky Honda had put a 'warranty void if removed' label over one of the screws. So its back together still not working. See pics below which might help if anyone needs to dismantle this part of the bike.

4 screws hold it in place.

There are two rubber grommets that the surround locates in, and two clips that need to be pulled out.

Three screws holding the pack to the surround.

The offending sticker, and a Visteon manufacturers sticker dated 3rd Jan 2011. Made in India.

For info, if I could be bothered to get up at 1am and disconnect the connector my clock would at last be correct 'cos thats what it resets to.

So it looks like I'll have to wait for the new pack but at least I know I tried.

CBRNewbie

·
Registered
49 Posts
mine didnt work since day one (or so i thought) but then i went back yesterday and was messing around with them buttons and found that they take a few seconds to work like there is a delay. so after holding the buttons for a few seconds they work. So come to find out its not like push and reset its more like hold for 6 seconds. also got my clock working too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay!

mine didnt work since day one (or so i thought) but then i went back yesterday and was messing around with them buttons and found that they take a few seconds to work like there is a delay. so after holding the buttons for a few seconds they work. So come to find out its not like push and reset its more like hold for 6 seconds. also got my clock working too.

I knew about pressing and holding etc, but I thought I'd try again. Still no joy but I noticed that the reset button has a completely different feel to it than the mode button. Also the reset button has no function unless the mode button has been pressed first so I couldn't check if it worked or not.

So, I got angry with the mode button and started waggling it about, applying pressure sideways vigorously and pressing it etc. Eventually I got it to change the display. It wouldn't work a second time so I waggled it again, and again it worked just the once. I think it gets stuck in and needs to be released to work again. Once I got the knack I managed to change the clock (the reset button actually works fine), and then change to the trip display. I struggled to get back to 'Total' miles but eventually did. I found a solid press with about a 1 sec hold and sharp release was the best method for this.

I will wait for the dealer to tell me he has the new pack and then tell him I want to fit it myself. If it resets my miles back to zero I may decide to keep this pack now that I know how to make it work.

Anyway, thank you Bigwill2550 for making me try one more time and getting me angry with that button!

CBRNewbie

·
Registered
49 Posts
lol funny stuff, another thing i notice is that if i hold it for 2 seconds or 5 seconds they display will not show any change until i release it. maybe you can go play with it some more now.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well that sucks... glad you didn't go and void it though.

As far as mileage, you can only have it replaced at the dealer, they will program it to the mileage the bike has.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts