Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from ontario Canada, so I don't know how far this transfers. I got my M1 and took the course for M2, but when looking for insurance for the 250 i still found it ridiculas. One company asked me if this was all I was hearing and I said yes, she told me to try again after I have had my license for 1 year, this would drop my rate by 50% with them which is huge.
Just thought i would share this incase anyone was having the same Issue I was... maybe everyone knows this already, I just found it out... happy riding

·
Registered
501 Posts
i live in Idaho, ridden bikes for over 30 years, The CBR is exspensive to insure here also. In Idaho its considered a sport bike ( not a commuter) & it has alot of breakable plastic on it.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I am in Australia and i am also getting quotes - for the ABS version . Some company's are charging low fee's and a high excess such as $201 Fee plus $500 std excess if you make a claim PLUS $300 for an Inexperienced Rider (under 1 year with licence) (only payable if you claim). Another company want's $609 Fee plus $400 std excess if you make a claim.
I am thinking about going for the lower fee with the higher excess.
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also a new rider in Ontario. I live in a fairly small town but insurance is still $1200 for the year with TD Insurance (i get a somewhat better rate because of a group rate from the University I attended).

Insurance in Ontario is easily the most expensive in the country, but try out TD if you already haven't and see what kind of price they give you.

What other quotes have you gotten thus far?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow. I've been getting a quote for 300 bucks a year for insurance in Arizona. Granted, I didn't give them a VIN number, but I doubt that would do anything at all to the price of insurance, since the bike is so new regardless.

BTW, this was with progressive.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
One way to go cheaply is to simply get liability and a low medical if you need it before other medical kicks in.

I have paid $30/year for the 2009 230L since it was new. My old NX250 runs $18/year and is a more powerful bike. I think that part of the pricing is on the "claims history" (or their projection of it for a new model).

For some reason, new bikes seem to have a disproportionately large number of new riders, which is going to up the insurance rate. I only buy new if I absolutely can't find a used bike. I trolled the used ads in my state for 5-6 months before breaking down and buying a new CRF230L.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got my MC permit in April, and license in July. Bought my CBR250R in August. With Progressive, I pay something around $250/year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm a new rider. 25 years old. pay $278 a year full coverage in new jersey! .. $500 deductibles on my collision/comprehensive... my auto insurance is more than that a month LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
i live in Idaho, ridden bikes for over 30 years, The CBR is exspensive to insure here also. In Idaho its considered a sport bike ( not a commuter) & it has alot of breakable plastic on it.
I live in Southern Idaho. I pay $18.22 per month through Progressive.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Aside from this being a very old thread, the OP is in Canada. Canadians generally pay significantly more for motor vehicle insurance than what we here in the U.S. pay for similar coverage.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am in Australia and i am also getting quotes - for the ABS version . Some company's are charging low fee's and a high excess such as $201 Fee plus $500 std excess if you make a claim PLUS $300 for an Inexperienced Rider (under 1 year with licence) (only payable if you claim). Another company want's $609 Fee plus $400 std excess if you make a claim.
I am thinking about going for the lower fee with the higher excess.
Cheers
Paul
OF: Sorry for digging up an old thread.

I just checked my CTP insurance as rego is due. For 2 seater, CTP is $278/12 months. If I convert to a single seat it is $85/12 months. That is an insane amount of difference just there.

Registration will also be cheaper for single-seat too.

If only I didn't have kids who like to ride pillion, this bike would be as cheap as peanuts to register and insure for a single-seater!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If only I didn't have kids, this bike would be as cheap as peanuts to register and insure for a single-seater!
I don't understand how having kids would increase your insurance? I would say that having kids would make a rider more careful on the road and it should bring the insurance down.

BTW currently I'm paying $140/year for liability only (one-way coverage)
I will be moving to Ontario (same province as the OP). I was told that my rate will skyrocket just because of the different province.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't understand how having kids would increase your insurance? I would say that having kids would make a rider more careful on the road and it should bring the insurance down.

BTW currently I'm paying $140/year for liability only (one-way coverage)

I will be moving to Ontario (same province as the OP). I was told that my rate will skyrocket just because of the different province.

if he didn't have kids he could convert to single seat and save close to $200 on CTP

The kids aren't increasing CTP, they have no bearing on it

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
... For 2 seater, CTP is $278/12 months. If I convert to a single seat it is $85/12 months. That is an insane amount of difference just there.

Registration will also be cheaper for single-seat too.

If I didn't have kids who like to ride pillion, this bike would be as cheap as peanuts to register and insure for a single-seater!
Fixed that for ya, Juzman. ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
$380/year here with once accident and a ticket but my semi decent credit dropped it to that low. I also put a car on the same account and dropped it by $10/a year( so much for a huge multi policy discount lol)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts