Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to make myself a nice little mount. Anyone see anything that would work well? I want it to hold the iPhone securely, be very universal so I can mount it how I want to not how it requires, and I wouldn't mind it if it charged the phone. Though I can add a charger if necessary.

So what's out there?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check out the ram-mounts (RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.). They have a nice little ball mount that goes into the steering stem hole and gives you a lot of options..
Looks pretty legit, the holder itself looks great and a million mounting options. Worth it even if it costs $40 all said and done.

·
745 Posts
Hit GPScity.com - they have the same mount (search for the number off the ram-mount site) for $6 less. i just ordered, will let you know in a week or so if the Nigerians have my Amex number.

BTW, they make a lot of mounts for PCs and equipment - do military and police contracts. A friend of mine in the fire service has one on his bike and swears by it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the item I bought:

RAM-B-176U at UNPKD RAM STEM MOUNT W/2.47DIA. X 2.47X1

The hole in the CBR stem is ~0.625" so it should work fine. I also bought a mount specific for my GPS.
My only gripe about it is that it looks bulky with the large butterfly nut. Could probably replace it with a bolt and washer or lock nut depending on how it's designed.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I need to make myself a nice little mount. Anyone see anything that would work well? I want it to hold the iPhone securely, be very universal so I can mount it how I want to not how it requires, and I wouldn't mind it if it charged the phone. Though I can add a charger if necessary.

So what's out there?
Go to my post a few threads below this with the title MOTO-D cell phone mount, I just installed it on my bike, COMPLETELY secure, and looks great. rather inexpensive as well. =) Now I can use my EVO4g for GPS =), it works for Iphones as well

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is a picture of my installed Ram mount. I bought this other phone holder so it could hold the iPhone while in a case.
I believe the parts used were:
Ram-hol-pd3u, Ram-B-342U and Ram-B-238U

I threw in a picture of my Walmart purchased bead seat. I cut away an old one from my car and put it on my bike seat. I like it a lot better than setting on plastic. I ordered one made for motorcycles prior to making this one but the ordered one has not made it to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My goal is to keep it looking like it belongs, I'll be partially hiding the left turn signal and CEL with the phone but that's it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got the mounts in, here's some pix installed. (I did go with a different arm)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yes it is. It's a combination of 3 pieces

RAM-HOL-AP9U iPhone 4 cradle
RAM-B-108BU mount for 0.5"-2" tube
RAM-B-103-238U arm between them
Thanks for the info.

How difficult was it to install the tube mount, in terms of access, etc.? After the install with your phone in the cradle, is there any physical interference (or close clearance) when steering full left to full right?

I was planning on mounting to the center pivot for a GPS or camera, but this may be a better alternative, though it seems like it might be a bit of a pain to adjust once everything is installed, particularly if you want to change arms from one device to another (example: standard arm for GPS, long arm for camera).

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info.

How difficult was it to install the tube mount, in terms of access, etc.? After the install with your phone in the cradle, is there any physical interference (or close clearance) when steering full left to full right?

I was planning on mounting to the center pivot for a GPS or camera, but this may be a better alternative, though it seems like it might be a bit of a pain to adjust once everything is installed, particularly if you want to change arms from one device to another (example: standard arm for GPS, long arm for camera).
The access was a little tricky and may prove difficult for some unless you remove the plastic. I'm used to working on German cars though so limited access is something I'm used to.

As far as clearance, well at full lock to the right it's very close to touching the speedometer but it doesn't actually touch on my setup. I got rather lucky on my first position being perfect, others may need to reposition. At the same time how often do you really need full lock haha.

For changing out arms I think it may be the best setup ever. It's 1 hand screw and the access on that part is pretty easy. There is a spring built into the arm to keep it secured around the lower ball while you change out the top mount, this makes it very very easy for quick swaps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts