Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,027 Posts
Yeah, as long as it is motorcycle oil or diesel oil. I use Rotella 5T 10W-30 as it is an inexpensive blend or synthetic and dino oil with no energy conservation additives.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Don't use any standard automotive oil - especially in a 30-grade (5W-30, 10W-30), as it contains Friction Modifiers that may eventually make the clutch slip. A bigger issue with "regular" auto oil for most cycle engines is the lack of proper additives (ZDDP) for a cycle's valvetrain.

You are much better using a diesel oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 or a cycle-specific oil.

Just to make it confusing, Shell has introduced a new Rotella T6 synthetic "Multi Vehicle" 5W-30 which DOES NOT have the proper additives like the "regular" Rotella T6 5W-40 does. Multi Vehicle is not really a "diesel" oil, more of just a standard auto oil.

So DO NOT use any Rotella stating "Multi Vehicle" in a cycle engine.

An actual 5W-30 conventional motorcycle-specific oil is unusual - what brand is it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't use any standard automotive oil - especially in a 30-grade (5W-30, 10W-30), as it contains Friction Modifiers that may eventually make the clutch slip. A bigger issue with "regular" auto oil for most cycle engines is the lack of proper additives (ZDDP) for a cycle's valvetrain.

You are much better using a diesel oil like Rotella T5 10W-30 or a cycle-specific oil.

Just to make it confusing, Shell has introduced a new Rotella T6 synthetic "Multi Vehicle" 5W-30 which DOES NOT have the proper additives like the "regular" Rotella T6 5W-40 does. Multi Vehicle is not really a "diesel" oil, more of just a standard auto oil.

So DO NOT use any Rotella stating "Multi Vehicle" in a cycle engine.

An actual 5W-30 conventional motorcycle-specific oil is unusual - what brand is it?
Sorry, disregard the 5w30.....that was actually car oil.

What about:

Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, 1-gallon $12.99 at Walmart (United States)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Sorry, disregard the 5w30.....that was actually car oil.

What about:

Shell Rotella T4 15W-40 Heavy Duty Diesel Oil, 1-gallon $12.99 at Walmart (United States)
That's fine, and safe to use, but a 30-grade would be better for the CBR IMO.

Rotella T5 10W-30 would be my first choice in a less expensive oil.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Price does not matter, good quality does. For the small volume of oil it uses the running cost is not high and knowing it has good stuff in it gives peace of mind.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 Racing oil (just for motorcycles) since the CBR was new. It's 10w40 but the oil is 100% synthetic and flows really well so it doesn't bother me about the 10w40 instead of of 30. The 40 is also extra protection when it's hot. It's 10 bucks a quart which is expensive but only 1.5 quarts every 4k miles doesn't bother me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts