Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is anyone in the U.S already touring or planning to tour on their CBR besides me?
I plan on doing maybe 2 or 3 weeks in the fall. East MD-West-back to MD.

I know someone in this forum from Ontario Canada is alreading logging some serious miles(can't remember name).

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought about it once I have enough riding time. I live in So Cal, and would love to ride up the coast to San Francisco. Hell I would be down to try to get up to Seattle on a 250!

·
Registered
999 Posts
I don't know if I'd call it touring but next summer I plan on riding to Idaho to visit my sister.

Point Reyes Sta, CA to Lewiston, ID is just a hair short of 1000 miles one way.
The last time I did this trip on a bike was on a '92 Kawi Zephyr 750 way back in '94. I'm long over due to do it again.

I'm always hearing people say you can't tour on a small bike. You can't go long distance on a small bike. You can't do this, you can't do that

I say it's all rubbish. You can do all that stuff on a small bike. There are no limitations.
The rider is the limiting factor, not the bike.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd like to..
The person who got me interested in motorcycle riding, once related about how he took a month off and rode a circle around the perimeter of the US on a CB350 (in the 60's).

Now, if I mentioned that I'm going across the US on a Gold Wing, the response would probably be 'yes, and ... ?'...

But doing it on the 250, now that would be an experience...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I plan on taking mine down the east coast next spring. Have cortech saddlebags and tailbag. I will have enough luggage to do the haul with that set up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, first post. Only had my CBR for a few weeks. Upgraded from a CBF250.

Interesting thread. I visit my kids every Saturday which is about 500km there and back, in one day (I live in Western Australia; distances are big :( ). No problem in the car, but doing it on the CBF was a nightmare, I only did it twice. Then I started borrowing a family members car since I sold my own car to start motorbiking :)

Now that I have the CBR I think I'll try it again. Anybody have any tips, apart from take plenty of breaks? Can I pop something on the seat to ease "numb bum", like a folded hand towel or something? :p Just wondering.

-Gray

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Anybody have any tips, apart from take plenty of breaks? Can I pop something on the seat to ease "numb bum", like a folded hand towel or something? :p Just wondering.

-Gray
A scrap of sheep skin rug aka Butt Pad.

I've suggested the same on this forum a couple of times. I first used one when touring in Europe on a CB250RS in the early-mid '90s, and now wouldn't be without one for long hauls.

Can only tour on big bikes...... nonsense. They're nice for cruising boring highways, but for me the byways are where the interesting stuff is. Big bikes can be a bit of a handful for that. Just be a bit patient on the long highway stretches; there's no hurry. Then enjoy where you want to be. That's my style anyway.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@ Gray, glad to hear you are considering going the distance on a 250. I'd suggest some type of throttle assist to ease the stress on the wrist. Saddlemen makes some type of Gel pad you may be able to install on the 250.Gel Pads Home
Check out my album I have a picture of my current set up, that I will road test this weekend on a 200 mile rount trip.

@ Redline, Thanks for posting such awesome pictures. Looks like you ride in the rain a lot! Keep up the touring and post more updates as you travel. I just got mine so I only have 464km on the dial but that will go up soon since I plan to take a two week tour (U.S) next month.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Okay, repeat after me, the number one rule for LD comfort on a bike.

NO SEAMS

Buy yourself some wicking bicycle shorts with NO SEAMS anywhere where your butt touches the seat. Even better, spring the bucks for some LDComfort shorts and gear. It's worth the money.

Continuing out from your underwear, no seams, I wear some cheapo breathable nylon track pants under my riding pants (if I need anything between my underwear and riding gear).

With seams, blood pools and creates 'hot spots' that turn into genuine sore spots. NO SEAMS you don't get them.

Oh, my background, I'm a LD Rider, I've done well over a 100,000 km in the last 3 years on my FJR alone. I've done an Iron butt (1000 miles in less than 24 hrs).

My butt is no longer the issue on a long ride. With regular tighty whities or briefs and jeans, I'm done after about 5 hours. Oh ya, don't forget to move your wallet if your a back pocket carrier! That piece of cowskin has put more money in chiropracters wallets than anything.

Learn to stand up on the pegs and stretch. Stick your legs out in the breeze and give your ankles a good rotate. Do this BEFORE you start feeling uncomfortable.

Wear ear plugs, hydrate. Ride the planet. :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
ive learned about 1 hour and 40 minutes into any ride is about when i realize my butt is extremely sore....stopping and stretching for a few minutes before continuing to ride only stops the soreness for 5-10 minutes before it returns again

·
Registered
152 Posts
This bike NEEDS a Givi adapter! Still waiting on that, but once one is available in Canada, I plan to do some multi-day rides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i went down to SoCal from San Francisco last week which is about 400 + miles one way. very tired riding with a backpack. you will need a saddle bag or top case or bag. the best ride is just riding below 65mph, save you gas and not too much fatigue from the wind.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This bike has everything a good touring machine needs, two wheels and a motor. No problem, I will ride it anywhere. And do it alone, that way I only have to argue logistics with me , myself, and I. What a crowd.

I have had touring bikes too, and they are less bike like to me. Big hassle on gravel turnouts,dirt and mud.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This bike has everything a good touring machine needs, two wheels and a motor. No problem, I will ride it anywhere. And do it alone, that way I only have to argue logistics with me , myself, and I. What a crowd.

I agree this bike covers the basics. I'm a solo-touring type :D myself. Only have myself to whine to :eek: if I get in a jam.

·
Registered
354 Posts
One more thing I will do especially with this bike is to plan the route on secondary roads. See more sights, towns, better scenery and a little slower.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts