Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
good eve guyz, I was thinking of buying my first bike(1 month back) & the moment i saw this cbr beauty i was awe struck to it, but of late i am seeing many problems listed in this forum and also in many others forums(regarding engine problems, poor plastics, etc). Pls help me in deciding whether it is a good buy or not.

Pls help me in these issues too;
1.)which showroom is offering good service in chennai
2.)advice me on whether to go for cbr250r with abs or the base model.

Available your valuable comments friends

_Adithan_Chennai

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I just want to say that this bike is amazing, but also the threads here listing problems are being cited all over as reasons to not buy one. I think that's misfortunate because there are so many of us here that love and use our CBR250s everyday, and these issues are only happening to a small amount of individuals.

·
Registered
501 Posts
There's probably 1% if that much out of a 100% that have problems. Hondas are reliable. With any make of vehicle theres always going to be a lemon in the bunch. Out of the thousands they make thats a small number. I,m sure my next bike will be a Honda.

·
Registered
518 Posts
The CBR is a great bike! I promise if you go to a forum for any other bike you will find just as many or more complaints about their problems. People typically dont start a thread saying "Hey my bike runs" "Really? So does mine!". Just think, out of the thousands of bikes sold, only a few dozen post about problems. I had one problem with mine (start button broke) but they fixed it free under warranty and I am the second owner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is my first bike although it took me 20 years to finally get one. For me, it is just perfect - I couldn't be happier. I'm at 1100 miles and I'm really going to enjoy my first full season of riding. No regrets.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Most people on this forum who have a CBR250R, have the model manufactured in Thailand. Most appear to be well satisfied by it.

There were a couple of long running threads about an "engine rattle", experienced by a few at around 5,500 RPM , but it seems it is just a rattle in the chassis or faring that resonates at that engine speed. Many of the other problems seem to be associated more with learning to ride than the bike.

From a few comments on this forum, and a few more on another, it seems there are more issues with the model manufactured in India, but still the comment is generally favourable. Some are a bit disappointed that it is not quite as "R" as they feel it should be. It is a mild thing compared to the 4 cylinder CBR250R of the early '90s.

ABS or not? On 4 wheels ABS is a no-brainer; not so on 2 wheels. Some are all for it, some question the need.

For sure ABS can help in confidently applying maximum braking when traveling in a straight line, but there is more to riding than stopping quickly. Unlike in a car, ABS on a motorcycle does not offer any advantage if trying to change direction under heavy braking. You can do it in an ABS equipped car; you cannot on a bike.

In a car ABS can make up for limitations in a driver's ability. On a motorcycle ABS can help in some situations, but it is no substitute for riding skills. For a bike (such as the CBR250R) to be used mainly on sealed roads it is probably a good idea, but is the benefit worth the cost? Some say,"Yes"; some say,"No". Some like the technology, others like to keep bikes simple. In the end it is your money, your choice.

For me, if there was an ABS model available within my budget, I would be inclined to give it a go, but I don't see it as a must have. If I just wanted/needed a bike, I wouldn't bother waiting for an ABS model to become available.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My CBR is flawless.
It's awesome, and makes me feel like Superman.
Any problems are few and far between (but obviously annoying for those riders.)
Get ABS if you can afford it.
Replace the cast iron cannon they call a muffler as well.... I'll go Hindle. Cause Canadian-made is AWESOME.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
only some of the people who started threads about problems in here joined this forum only start a thread about there problem.. a very small percentage of forum members and an even smaller percentage cbr250 owners as a whole

most of us joined because we love our bikes and if we had a problem to vent it was minor at best....really we are here because we want to learn about things from other people who want to contribute to this forum to help us learn..

a few on here just get on because they dont have a life jand just want to put people down or start an argument to help fill out empty lonely day ( wont mention any names) i even heard one of these trolls doesnt even own/ride a cbr250r, I know right? odd

heres an analogy

If you needed a new water heater and would only buy one based on the positive online reviews you read, you never would find one to buy because all the reviews are nothing but problems and complaints...thats why its worthwhile to people to post a review, to vent there troubles..the thousands who never had a problem dont bother to waste their time to tell you that

SO THE MORAL OF THIS STORY
dont base your decision on a handful of people or a handful of threads about complaints..this is a great bike and you wont regret buying it

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
To the OP; I don't know of anybody from Chennai active on this forum at present, though there may be some. Over on Honda cbr250r Forums you will find more people from India, including some from Chennai.

@ spdklls: I thought you weren't going to respond to anything I posted, but then you didn't mention any names, so I can only guess what inspired your little rant. Did I knock the object of your passion or something? Has anybody in this thread?

No, I don't have a Honda 250 right now. I did have an earlier incarnation, which I toured on quite a bit, as well as using it for day to day transport for a few years. Same for the couple of Honda 350s, among other bikes I have owned over several years.

Unlike some, I tend to ride when I go somewhere to do something........ not for something to do because I am bored. I enjoy riding, but I don't love my bikes. They are just inanimate heaps of metal and plastic that serve my needs; some are better than others.

I have a bike that suits me for now, but like Adithan, I will likely be in the market for a bike, albeit later in the year. The information here interests me, and some of the members of the forum amuse me. If that makes me a jerk, so be it.

I am pleased to see the revival of the quarter litre class. At the moment, the CBR250R looks to be the pick of the bunch, from my point of view. Whether or not it is what I chose when the time comes remains to be seen, depending on my needs and what is available at the time.

Now, my old pal (if you don't mind me addressing you as such) spdklls, how are those beautifully colour co-ordinated genuine leather kevlars looking? Getting a bit scuffed by now I guess, so you might be in the market for the latest fashionista look; you old devil, you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just want to say that this bike is amazing, but also the threads here listing problems are being cited all over as reasons to not buy one. I think that's misfortunate because there are so many of us here that love and use our CBR250s everyday, and these issues are only happening to a small amount of individuals.
That is the power of the internet. That is why you also read that COmpanies don't use internet as a reliable reason.

·
Registered
147 Posts
good eve guyz, I was thinking of buying my first bike(1 month back) & the moment i saw this cbr beauty i was awe struck to it, but of late i am seeing many problems listed in this forum and also in many others forums(regarding engine problems, poor plastics, etc). Pls help me in deciding whether it is a good buy or not.

_Adithan_Chennai
If youre unsure get the 2012 model. If you really want to be sure get the lastest build or one right from the factory it will be a little wait and maybe a deposit. That is the only thing I can think of to reassure your getting it clean. They dyno it in the factory too.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

_Adithan_Chennai
Regardless of WHAT you buy, there will always be people complaining about it. Some of us get lemons but most of us get quality vehicles. It's a Honda and their reputation of quality should speak for itself. ABS or Base? That's a choice but ABS provides more safety but at a price.

We don't know your budget or what you truly need out of it but I think most of us agree that this bike is a great buy.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The OP is from India.. they have an Indian made 'Honda' which is where 99% of the cbr 'problems and issues' threads stem from.

The Thai bikes are bulletproof.

·
Registered
879 Posts
This bike is vary reliable runs and looks great but there are a few issues with it. Mine has the rattle problem and its not the plastic. Fuel guage is not accurate and mode buttons are difficult to operate

·
Registered
118 Posts
9000 kms up on mine and faultless. This bike delivers awesome economy and performance in the metro bike role, yet still very capable for a 1/4 litre out on the freeway and country roads.

ps...now the most popular selling road going bike in Australia.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
[

how are those beautifully colour co-ordinated genuine leather kevlars looking? .
Still looking pretty spiffy actually Mikey, thanx a bunch for caring and asking. I prefer my safety gear to co-ordinate and match with my bike. :D

The exact same way your tattered stained tanktop, and dilapidated dirt encrusted flip flops perfectly co-ordinates and matches with yours. :p

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
This bike is vary reliable runs and looks great but there are a few issues with it. Mine has the rattle problem and its not the plastic. Fuel guage is not accurate and mode buttons are difficult to operate
same here, but more fuel in the tank than the gauge shows is a good thing in my book. And all of us thought the gauges were hard to operate..the more you use them the better they get but even now sometimes I have to press hard to get it to switch between modes..the rattle? just a small engine vibrating at high rpms in my book... But as I stated earlier, these would all be considered minor problems if not be called small annoyances instead of problems

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm new to motorcycling and couldn't be more pleased with my 2011 Honda CBR250R/A in black. I chose the ABS model because it's nice for resale value, gets me lower insurance premiums, but most of all for peace of mind--you just never know and I'm glad it's there should I need it.

My bike has been a DREAM! It's VERY forgiving for a new rider (missing gears or shifting from 1st to neutral instead of 2nd, rough shifting, shifting too early, forgetting to release the rear brake after a stop, beeping the horn when I'm signaling, stalling because I didn't engage the clutch/throttle smoothly but restarting again in an instant, etc.), incredibly responsive, well-made from high-quality materials and handles beautifully. I get looks all the time because it's so stylish and sporty, yet fuel efficient and fun!

Like I said, I'm new, but I researched bikes for 6 months before making my purchase decision and KNOW it was the best choice. You just don't find many bikes in the 250cc sport class and can't compare the Ninja's carb with Honda's fuel injection. Not to mention Kawasaki doesn't even offer the ABS as an option.

I look forward to getting miles of smiles out of my CBR! You'll be delighted, too! Good luck & trust your judgment--it'll lead you in the right direction!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
The OP is from India.. they have an Indian made 'Honda' which is where 99% of the cbr 'problems and issues' threads stem from.

The Thai bikes are bulletproof.
I agree. India cheaped out on parts. Rust, believe it or not is a big issue as well. Seems to grow like a cancer. Recalls have been issued as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts