Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
Hi all!

I was planning to clean and lube my chain when I noticed that the chain looks very loose and I think at the end of it's life:

Also, I bought this 108 link chain in 2016 and I think it's good.

Can I have your thoughts?

Thanks!
Hey, you bought a good chain, at reasonable price too.
The easiest way to spot a chain that has ended its life is to do slack test: Turn the wheel to a few different points, and if the slack is not uniform at such a level that it is no longer possible to get the allowed slack range (20-30mm), it's time to replace it. And it is possible to pre-replace even when not exceeding the allowable slack range, in order to maintain the uniformity of the power transmission, etc.
From the picture you took, this one:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

From your "ruler", yes, even from the "ruler" you can see that it is time to replace the chain.

To replace a chain you will need a special tool that pulls out the penis (Breaks the chain), and then crushes the new pins into place. You already have such a tool? Do you have previous experience working with a similar tool?

My Tip1: It is always worth **checking on this occasion what is the condition of the slider Part no': 52170-KYJ-900 (Link to Partzilla)
**At the OWNER'S MANUAL P.66
Font Publication Poster Parallel Paper

Tip 2: What is the condition of the gears(Front & Rear)?

Registered
thanks for the tip. Wow, ok I definitely do not lube or clean anywhere close to as much as you do 馃槄

This chain has lasted me from July 1, 2016.

these are what I use: View attachment 45513
Hey Mersine. Do not clean chain with O-Ring or X-Ring with WD-40. This may destroy the grease trapped inside to reduce friction in the pins that connect the chain links.

The cheapest The simplest and most conservative chain lube is lubrication with gear oil (thick oil): SAE90.
One liter of gear oil is enough for more than ten years:
Liquid Automotive tire Bottle Plastic bottle Gas

• This is ideal for oiling every fuel tank (every about 250 km).
  • No need to overdo the amount, I lubricate the chain in two rounds (of course Engine Off 鈽狆煉).
  • The transmission oil has another feature that it cleans the chain, and there is no longer need for a chain cleaning job (the dirt does not stick to it, and the new oil "washes out" the existing dirt).
  • cleaning? Yes, maybe once a year, cleaning the chain guard, and the area of the small gear.
  • Those who go on trips take a tiny container of gear oil with them, it is a very small amount of oil, maybe 30 cc that is enough for at least ten lubrication cycles.

Registered
My bad, yes I never use WD-40, that just happened to be in the box 馃槄 though I do use WD-40 on my bicycle chain sometimes.

I'll definitely get SAE90 next, thanks for the tip!

edit:

is this the same thing or similar enough to SAE90?

View attachment 45515
No. multi purpose oil is much thinner compared to SAE90
But it is better than not lubricating at all. It holds less and its less friction prevention performance.

Registered
IF you feel
Yes but more than a "feeling" it is a matter of measurement:
1. You can check the ruler at the manufacturer label near to the control window?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

2. You can check the slack (20-30mm), and if the slack is not constant (when turning the chain), at such a level that the manufacturer's requirement(20-30mm) can not be set, then the chain should be *replaced too.

*It is recommended to replace the whole set: Chain + Sprockets

REF: HONDA CBR250R/RA OWNER'S MANUAL P.63 - P.66

Reactions: Mory

Registered
running with not proper maintained chain chance to effect performance of bike and gear shifting also become very harder.
YES and...
If the chain falls off the sprocket, or if the chain is torn, then in addition:
  • Great damage may be caused to the engine
  • It is possible to lose control on the motorcycle (An Accident) 鈽狆煉鈽

1 - 6 of 6 Posts