Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
When was the last time you had the valve clearances checked? If you haven't had it done since the initial check at 600 miles then you're slightly overdue (16,000 miles) to have it checked again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When was the last time you had the valve clearances checked? If you haven't had it done since the initial check at 600 miles then you're slightly overdue (16,000 miles) to have it checked again.

I am the fifth owner. The last owner had a motorcycle for two years, but I don't know if he did. I won't rely on it.

How long will it take for a mechanic to adjust the valves? (roughly)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Maybe 1-2 hours. You might be able to wait for it if the shop isn't terribly busy. It's not cheap though with all the disassembly they have to do to get at the valves. A lot of us paid $200-$300 at the initial 600-mile check just to find out that the valves were still within spec and didn't need adjusting. With your mileage it's much more likely they will need adjustment, especially if the previous owner(s) didn't follow the maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
56 Posts
Hi, could it be a problem with the valve? Or is such engine operation OK?

The motorcycle covered 30,000 km.

I don't feel a loss of strength. I'm just asking preventively

1. The valves need to be adjustment after the first thousand Km, when the engine is new.
2. Once the valves parts "take their place" they are stable and do not tend to lose their adjustment.
3. The manufacturer recommends checking every 24,000 Km.
4. If the valves are not adjusted you will hear ticks, according to the frequency of the RPM, but to hear the ticks you have to strain the engine(Let the engine work under load).
5. In your video(thanks for sharing!) the engine is in idle and its sound sounds normal, this does not determine the condition of the valves (it is impossible to know from your video if adjustment is needed).
6. According to Figure E-3 Ref No 5(Part Catalogue2), it takes 1.6 hours to disassemble the Valve-Rocker and make the adjustment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[QUOTE = "TrueFaith, příspěvek: 688931, člen: 170"]
Možná 1-2 hodiny. Možná na něj nebudete čekat, pokud obchod není příliš zaneprázdněn. Není to levné, i když s demontáží, kterou musí udělat, aby se dostali k ventilům. Mnoho z nás zaplatilo 200 až 300 dolarů při počáteční kontrole 600 mil, jen aby zjistili, že ventily jsou stále ve specifikaci a není třeba je upravovat. U vašeho počtu najetých kilometrů je mnohem pravděpodobnější, že budou potřebovat úpravy, zvláště pokud předchozí vlastníci nedodrželi plán údržby.
[/CITÁT]

Thanks for the information
(y)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. The valves need to be adjustment after the first thousand Km, when the engine is new.
2. Once the valves parts "take their place" they are stable and do not tend to lose their adjustment.
3. The manufacturer recommends checking every 24,000 Km.
4. If the valves are not adjusted you will hear ticks, according to the frequency of the RPM, but to hear the ticks you have to strain the engine(Let the engine work under load).
5. In your video(thanks for sharing!) the engine is in idle and its sound sounds normal, this does not determine the condition of the valves (it is impossible to know from your video if adjustment is needed).
6. According to Figure E-3 Ref No 5(Part Catalogue2), it takes 1.6 hours to disassemble the Valve-Rocker and make the adjustment.

Thanks for the information (y)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds perfect to me. Though it would have been better if the engine was revved up a bit to assess any timing chain or tensioner noise per se. From your video, it sounds perfectly normal. If you haven't done the valve inspection and is well past due, it's better to do it now, as it's safer than being sorry. Good luck.

Cheers!
VJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts