Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm putting on the miles with my CBR. I'm finding out more and more that I'm able to sneak up on cars and pedestrians. When you going about 45-50 mph and the RPM's are around 5000 the wind make more noise than the bike. I am beginning to think about swapping the stock exhaust for an aftermarket just for safety's sake. Is anyone else noticing this?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I only go slow when I'm in town, and I don't expect anyone (cars, bicycles or pedestrians) to be paying any attention to anything but themselves. I could be making noise like a full-throttle jet engine at 10 feet and they wouldn't have a clue. I just assume that they will get in my way and prepare to avoid them. I'd only rely on them avoiding me if I wanted to get myself hurt or killed.

You can go with an aftermarket exhaust if you want, but don't expect it to do any good with the IDtenTs out there. Cluelessness, deep it runs in them.

I'm going with an M4 Street Slayer to save weight and get rid of the eyesore the Honda designers call an exhaust. I plan to keep the "quiet insert" in and hope that it isn't much louder than the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
LOL..it's funny you mention this...i have noticed many times but especially this last weekend..that while out riding around on back roads and coming up on pedestrians and horseback riders going up the road in the same direction i am....their heads whip around and look at me with a huge surprised look in their eyes as i am already going past them cuz they never heard me coming.

..I wondered if i made a little bit of pee come out as I went by ....and thought if maybe i should start giving the horn a little tweek to give them a heads up?

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've found loud bikes to be a double edge sword.
In slow in town traffic I think a bit of volume is a safe thing. The cars hear you coming before you get there so they are alerted to your approach.

However, on the freeway, no matter how loud your bike is, at freeway speeds, cars can't hear you until you're right along side them. Often a cager will be in tranquil quiet then suddenly out of nowhere they'll hear the loud wail of a bike as it's right next to them. This can cause the startled driver to flinch. Sometimes when inattentive drivers flinch they jerk the wheel which can be scary. Sometimes they jerk the wheel hard which can create an accident of monumental proportions.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Double-edged sword, exactly. We've got so many obnoxiously loud bikes and "in your face" riders that a quieter bike coupled with matching "gentler" maneuvering between 4+ wheelers often gets much better treatment. Busses and taxies giving you room, etc.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I am used to being invisible, as I've been riding bicycles in Pittsburgh for longer than I've been a motorcyclist. That being said, I'm still invisible on my CBR and plan on getting the M4 shorty exhaust so I have a bit more presence.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've scared a few pedestrians out of the way with the Two Brother's on my bike. This one guy literally jumped out of the road when he heard me coming, lol.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you any of you guys seriously believe that a honkin' loud pipe(s) is effective measure against somebody who can't see a blazin fire truck wailing at Mach 10 sitting on there ass you need your heads examined.

(says the guy who just modded his 2bro's to shut the **** thing up some).

Seriously, rider skill will save you butt FAR more often than a false sense of security from loud pipes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm actually quite enjoying being stealthy... I sneak up on friends in their own back yard, etc. It's also nice knowing if I do decide to ummm... perform terminal velocity tests at least the sound won't give me away. :p

·
Registered
210 Posts
As I'm putting on the miles with my CBR. I'm finding out more and more that I'm able to sneak up on cars and pedestrians. When you going about 45-50 mph and the RPM's are around 5000 the wind make more noise than the bike. I am beginning to think about swapping the stock exhaust for an aftermarket just for safety's sake. Is anyone else noticing this?
If you think its too quiet, just remove the airbox filter cover. Bike will go from 87dB at your ear level to 93dB at your ear level (I measured). Either level is damaging for long periods of time (but of course the helmet reduces the noise to a non damaging level.
On the street, in stock configuration, people can easily hear me coming. I know because people interested in bikes will look back to see what type of bike is coming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Noisy Exhaust

I just replaced the stock exhaust with an M4 Street Slayer. I like the loss of the weight of the stock exhaust. I also was happy to move the hot exhaust away from anything that might be likely to touch it. And the M4 is a lot better looking than that "thing" that Honda put on the bike. The M4 is substantially louder and has a whole different sound profile, which I don't mind much while commuting. But if I was driving any substantial distance I think I would tire of the exhaust growl. I guess the next step is a "diy" tuning of the M4 to get it more to my liking.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just replaced the stock exhaust with an M4 Street Slayer. I like the loss of the weight of the stock exhaust. I also was happy to move the hot exhaust away from anything that might be likely to touch it. And the M4 is a lot better looking than that "thing" that Honda put on the bike. The M4 is substantially louder and has a whole different sound profile, which I don't mind much while commuting. But if I was driving any substantial distance I think I would tire of the exhaust growl. I guess the next step is a "diy" tuning of the M4 to get it more to my liking.
I'm looking forward to installing mine this evening after work. UPS says that they left it at the front door. :)

Let us know if you find a way to lower the db on the M4 SS.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you any of you guys seriously believe that a honkin' loud pipe(s) is effective measure against somebody who can't see a blazin fire truck wailing at Mach 10 sitting on there ass you need your heads examined.

(says the guy who just modded his 2bro's to shut the **** thing up some).

Seriously, rider skill will save you butt FAR more often than a false sense of security from loud pipes.
I installed the 2bros and found it too loud as well. BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAAAAAAAAAAAAT. What did you do to mute it out?

I've come to enjoy the stock exhaust. It's got a growl to it. Wouldn't mind ditching the weight though.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I installed the 2bros and found it too loud as well. BLAT BLAT BLAT BLAAAAAAAAAAAAT. What did you do to mute it out?
Look for a thread Yoshi vs 2Bros. It's chronicled in there. Basically though, put a bar sink stainer with a 9/16" hole drilled into the center press fitted into the 2Bros exhaust tip.

Works without any noticable loss of performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Well I am thinking about selling the 2bros pipe that i got. I love the way it looked but it is just to loud for me. So if anyone in the north Carolina area is wanting one let me know.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well I am thinking about selling the 2bros pipe that i got. I love the way it looked but it is just to loud for me. So if anyone in the north Carolina area is wanting one let me know.
Before you sell it, try the strainer mod in this thread. It takes only 15 minutes and costs about $3. Your gonna lose WAY more money than that selling it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
If I was to get a aftermarket exhaust, the only brand I would get is from Hindle, the slip on with the stealth baffles. Very close to stock levels in noise.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts