Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I live in Rural Aus & will be doing a bit of highway riding, aswell as around town.

I would just like to know if there is anyway of reducing the amount of vibrations that come through the bike grips when travelling on the highway (around 115-120 kms - 7000-7500rpm), besides slowing down?!
Obviously it happens at a higher rev range, so i did think of changing the teeth so the revs are lower at higher speeds, but then i would lose pick up speed for around town! Would this be the only way to reduce vibrations?
If so, how much pick up speed would I lose as a result?

Any help on this would be great!

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
999 Posts
Heavier bar end weights (if anyone makes them as they are NOT the same as the 600RR & 100RR weights) would make the biggest, best difference.

Different grips may or may not help.

Grip puppies (I think that's what they're called) may or may not help. They slip over the grips making the grips bigger diameter but may absorb some of the vibes.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Adding 1 tooth to the countershaft will drop your RPMs about 500. You can see if a 500 RPM drop will get you to a smoother RPM. You will lose some "snap" around town, and the throttle response may feel softer on the highway. A countershaft sprocket isn't very expensive, so it's not a big deal if it doesn't work out.

Another thing to try would be putting lead shot in the handlebars. I've done it before with a 750 I-4 that had vibe issues, and it did help. Gel grips may help also.

Jay

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Maybe you are hanging on too tight, the cbr only needs very delicate touch of the controls. It has no vibration the engine is nicely balanced,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys,

I might try some gel grips and see how that goes for the short term, i've got a 3 hour ride to Mansfield this weekend & going to ride Mt Bulla (for those of you that know Aus).
How do you add the lead shot to the handlebars?

I wouldn't think i am hanging on too tight - remember i am in rural aus, so the higway can be bumpy at times, so i do have to hang on!

Cheers for the help guys!

Ben

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Cheers guys,

I might try some gel grips and see how that goes for the short term, i've got a 3 hour ride to Mansfield this weekend & going to ride Mt Bulla (for those of you that know Aus).
How do you add the lead shot to the handlebars?

I wouldn't think i am hanging on too tight - remember i am in rural aus, so the higway can be bumpy at times, so i do have to hang on!

Cheers for the help guys!

Ben
Depending on how the barend weights are attached, you may not be able to do it. If there is a welded nut on the inside of the bar you can't do it, but if the barend is held in by crushing a rubber spacer you'd be ok.

You can do it by having some way to hold the cycle over on its side enough to point the bar upward and use a funnel to get the shot in the pipe. Remember to leave enough room for the barend weight.

Jay

·
Registered
193 Posts
Grip Puppies work pretty well, as long as you can deal with the increased grip diameter.
I found the stock grips to be too tiny, so this was my first attempt to make them bigger on the cheap.
The decrease in vibration, noticeable but not huge, was just a bonus for me. :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Grip Puppies work pretty well, as long as you can deal with the increased grip diameter.
I found the stock grips to be too tiny, so this was my first attempt to make them bigger on the cheap.
The decrease in vibration, noticeable but not huge, was just a bonus for me. :)

I just ripped my grip puppies off the other day. They reduced vibration, but the extra diameter was a killer in traffic (which there is a lot of where I live in Indonesia) when you spend a lot of time hauling in the clutch lever which is that much further away. But might see if I can source the Domino grips here that kflaig suggested.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts