Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have this plan for a trip to visit my cousin in Athens, GA this weekend. Probably leave Friday and come back Monday. Kind of a spur of the moment plan. This is about a 750 mile trip for me. The longest trip I've done is about 400 miles in one day, so this is almost doubling that.

I "think" I can do it. Any tips and/or advice?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Never did a trip like that on a 250, but I've done similar loops several times on other bikes. I'd suggest that you remember to hydrate, and yes, even in winter, use sunblock. I did Philly to JAX a few times and that's what I needed to remember to do. Get off the bike when your body tells you to. Plan on being colder than you think you will be. I'd take two pair of gloves so you can switch. Have fun and take pics!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Spur of the moment is great. Is that 750 miles one way? that is a lot of riding, but I would be most conccerned about the weather this time of year. My best trips have been short notice and alone.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I did 1300km in 2 days to the city and back , but mine was wide open deserted roads (By US standards) and I held it pinned to the throttle stop 99% of the way no dramas, and it was stinking hot 37-40 degrees, gave her an oil change afterwards.
Still nothing compared to a 2 day enduro but was a bit numb bum afterwards.

But your is 1500 miles, so thats 2 very big days in the saddle, daylight to dark both days.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, 750 each way. I think the only saving grace is that I'd get a "rest" before going back home. It's mostly highway, moderate traffic, temperature is "warm". By warm I mean 40-50F. I've got a decent amount of winter riding gear so I think I'll be ok temperature wise.

·
745 Posts
Biggest issues when planning a long trip:

• Prep: Lube and adjust the chain, check tire pressures, top all fluids.
  • Weather: check the weather for:
    • Rain: Atlanta is looking at rain this weekend - make sure you have gear.
    • Temps: Highs in the low sixties predicted. Not bad with the right clothes, but if it starts to rain you'll get miserable quick if you can't keep the water out. Keep in mind that if you get cold, fatique sets in much quicker, so play mind games to make sure you're not losing your alertness.
  • Fuel: Range on the CBR is ~150-175 miles between stops, which is a good time to stretch anyway - should be no problem anywhere in GA, but if you wind up on back roads you might want to shorten your intervals to keep more in reserve.
  • Route: Interstates are the fastest, but also the most tiring, especially on a smaller bike like the CBR. If it was me, I'd try to devise a route that was about half interstate and half not, just to keep the fatique down.
  • Breakdowns: Motorcyclists run the gamut here. Some go whole hog, carrying tools, air compressors, plug kits, etc. Others go minimalist, carrying nothing. On a long trip, I usually pack enough to adjust the chain and tighten allen bolts - a couple of T-handles, adjustable, and a couple of spanners.
  • Backup plan: What will you do if the bike leaves you stranded? If you have a bud's number and he has somewhere he can borrow or rent a trailer, you're set.
  • Time: Some people will tell you this is a ten-hour trip, and it could be - in a car with an idiot under the wheel and all Interstate. I take the miles and divide by 50 for secondary roads and 65 for Interstates to get hours That makes this somewhere between a 12- and 15-hour trip. This covers breaks (which I combine with fuel stops), traffic, speed zones, and a reasonable amount of constuction. Personally, I prefer to drive in the dark when I'm fresh as opposed to tired, and your final destination is a major metro area. If this was my trip I'd roll out in the wee hours of the moring and try to time my arrival for dusk. If you know you're going to push hard to get there quickly, then stay on the Interstate - statistically you have a lower risk of accidents, and much less risk of animal collisions in the dark.
Obviously, a trip like this is easier in late Spring or Summer - higher temps, more daylight, less weather concerns. However, if you plan it out and are willing to accept the inevitiable sore tushy, it's doable.

One last thing - make sure you carry some cash and that you are willing to realize at some point on the trip that it's becoming risky to push on. If that happens, find a place to grab a few hours of sleep so you can recharge to finish it out.

Good Luck! Let us know how it turns out!

Luke

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Yeah, 750 each way. I think the only saving grace is that I'd get a "rest" before going back home. It's mostly highway, moderate traffic, temperature is "warm". By warm I mean 40-50F. I've got a decent amount of winter riding gear so I think I'll be ok temperature wise.

50 degrees Fahrenheit = 10 degrees Celsius !!!

You will freeze.

·
745 Posts
By the way, if something happens in NC and you need some help, give me a call - I'm going to PM you my cell number. I'm up above Raleigh and my daughter is in Charlotte, so we're about midway on your trip. I'm about dead in the middle of your trip (off I-85 North of Raleigh).

By the way, if you want to get off I-85 for awhile, you take 15-501 South in Durham NC and go down through Chapel Hill to 64 West in Pittsboro. Take 64 west to Asheboro, then 49 down to Charlotte. Mileage is about the same, but the scenery is much nicer. You will lose a little time, but IMO it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I'm planning on a mostly Interstate trip on the way there with maybe some scenic routes on the way back, so thanks for the heads up! I'm planning on leaving Philly sometime around 4-5 am to give me plenty of daylight and time in areas I'm not as familiar with. Also hopefully avoiding traffic in my area at least.

I'd be making my trip Friday, and hopefully avoiding the rain in the Atlanta area.

I'm also thinking of taking I-81 and avoiding the I-95 corridor as I've made this trip in a car a few times and last time I managed to save myself from a lot of traffic even though it's about 20 miles more.

Aufitt: heated gear/willpower:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
I would say take a route than wont leave you stranded miles from a town in case something were to break down, small tool kit, keep a bottle of fix-a-flat in your backpack/under the seat, if its warm some bottles of fresh water, cash as well as credit cards, cell phone, and always keep in mind to tread unknown waters lightly (ie. if you dont know the area be very safe and expect the unexpected). oh, also would not hurt to lay a folded towel on the seat to save you rear end from going numb.

·
Registered
455 Posts
well if your leaving friday you should be ok if you make the ride in one day but thats a really long day on the 250. The weather here is in 60's friday, rain sat 60's sunday. What would be the tits would be to add a 100 miles and 2 days to the trip and come though the mountains and hit us 129 and ride the tail of the dragon. May be a bit sketchy at this time of year though. Snow in the Mountains in West Virginia and probably a lot of sand and gravel on 129.
How often do you get to ride the worlds best road?

·
Registered
455 Posts
look at that road though. fun

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
Good luck if you take the trip. I couldnt do it myself on a 250 . I did 720 on my goldwing in one day and that wasnt easy. But im sure younger and can most likely do it if you want to

·
Registered
999 Posts
As long as you're prepared mentally and physically you can do a long trip on anything.

If I can swing it, I plan on riding mine from the Bay Area CA to Lewiston ID in the summer time to visit my sister. It's about 1000 miles one way.

I did it on a 92' Kawi Zephyr 750 back when I was 24 and invincible. I'm 42 now and not so invincible anymore but what the heck. I have to do it just because everyone and his brother tells me it can't be done. I can't think of better motivation than that.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for advice guys. Question though. I probably won't have chain lube at my destination. I lubed up the chain yesterday, should that be good for the trip?

·
Registered
455 Posts
stop by your local cycle shop and buy a can of lube and put it in your pack.
must have

·
Registered
879 Posts
Hat's off to you Sir, there's no way that I'd try to ride that distance in a day on any bike. It would just be way too tiring, uncomfortable and so un-enjoyable, and then after the ordeal of getting there, your stay would be ruined by the thought of having to ride all that distance back.
Vary well said. Dont turn it into a torture test The fun factor will soon dissapear

·
Super Moderator
2,049 Posts
Good luck with the trip.

I did Tuscaloosa, Alabama to Philadelphia back in 1968 on a Suzuki 250 (2 stroke) and it was a hard day-and-a-half trip each way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts