Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a pretty new rider. I bought and am riding a used 2006 Kawasaki KLX250s. That is a dirt bike with lights if you are unfamiliar.

I really like the bike. I am using if strictly for commuting. I hit the highway for only short jaunts and one time per week I do about 15 miles on the highway each way to a meeting. I can do 55-60 with no bother from other traffic. The bike is pretty good at 55. It catches a ton of wind since you are sitting like Mary Poppins so even though I can hit 75 I choose not too.

My MPG is pretty consistent at 60-65 without trying and terrain is pretty up and down around here.. I don't think however that even trying I would muster better than 70 due to wind.

I may keep the KLX as it was pretty cheap and I do like it.

However, the CBR250r intrigues me. The ABS is a plus. Smooth tires would be nice. I am very gentle in the corners right now as the safety margin is not high on knobby tires in the corners.

I am not sure at 6'0" 185 (athletic) what the comfort would be like on the CBR. I did sit on one at the dealer but that does not tell me how it would feel after 20 minutes or commuting everyday.

It would be great if at 60 the bike felt more planted than the KLX on the highway. It seems like it would be with the much lower center of gravity, overall more weight, better rider position for wind, and less stuff grabbing the wind like big ass fenders and hand guards etc.

Just to highlight what my criteria is, I would put comfort, economy, safety at top of the list. I am not looking for a 80mph highway cruiser but don't put it past me to try it at 60mph to get to Seattle (275 miles) if it is comfy. I would even look at the TU250 Suzuki has but for the same money the little CBR seems like more bike (brakes, engine).

Any comparison to little DS bikes like mine would be really useful to help me make a decision before plunking down the money.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

60 is fine. I frequently cruise comfortably at 70+ mph.

We are the same height but I am a few lbs lighter. The bike is great and you will be fine on it. Though the safety factor seems to be all but gone when seated on a motorbike.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not to sound negative but being a new rider you might want to continue on with what you have. Going to the CBR is not going to gain you much....i.e. a few more MPH on the top end, a little better wind protection, possibly a more cumbersome riding position (higher pegs/more tucked in then the KLX), a couple more MPG, higher insurance, and if you drop the CBR its totaled-Drop the KLX and you buy new handle bars so to speak. If you are concerned about the knobbies on your current ride-REPLACE THEM- they built the KLX as a entry level Supermoto too.....more or less a dirt bike with street tires. Just my thoughts. I really love my new Ceebee but if it were me I'd keep rocking the KLX for a little longer to make sure you are going to keep riding and to gain more experience.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^

He doesn't appear to be that new. Perhaps he wants an actual street bike and maybe he can locate a used ceebee.

·
Registered
160 Posts
How long have you been riding your KLX? Miles/Months? I like LaCarolus idea of just swapping the tires, might give you a better feel but the suspension and position is still odd for the road. From your description a CBR seems just what you need.

But if you are really new, I would learn on the KLX for at least a year before switching. I started on a Buell Blast and nice thing about the naked bikes is it doesn't cost much to repair, because you don't have all the plastics. I dropped it and it cost me $50 to replace a few parts (trim piece on headlight, turn signal, etc).

·
Registered
230 Posts
If he wants one for the sake of wanting one - I think thats great and more power to him. But I personally don't see it as a real upgrade over what he has now. Also the fact that he is concerned about cornering on DOT knobbies worries me. I've had several bikes over the years and one of them was a DRZ400 dual sport that I wished I would have kept...I guess hindsight is 20/20 though.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys these are very useful comments. A few things that came up in the comments. I am a new rider as of late with the KLX about 2 months. I have been commuting every day and that has meant about 1200 miles with it. I rode a bit as a kid on dirt bikes, had a moped or two along the way.

One thing I guess I was wishy washy about is that I would keep the KLX. Its in great shape, paid cash and insurance is dirt cheap.

I certainly think putting on a less aggressive knobby would be better. Right now it howls like a 4x4 jeep. Corners are not THAT bad. Wet corners I tip toe however. I feel more planted on my bicycle than the KLX in wet. Tires however would make a big difference.

The naked comments make a lot of sense. Dropping all that plastic is a real bummer I am sure.

I just may be smart to stick with the KLX. Although as pointed out some of this is just the want and some of this is its better suited for the task.

I do appreciate the insights.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks guys these are very useful comments. A few things that came up in the comments. I am a new rider as of late with the KLX about 2 months. I have been commuting every day and that has meant about 1200 miles with it. I rode a bit as a kid on dirt bikes, had a moped or two along the way.

One thing I guess I was wishy washy about is that I would keep the KLX. Its in great shape, paid cash and insurance is dirt cheap.

I certainly think putting on a less aggressive knobby would be better. Right now it howls like a 4x4 jeep. Corners are not THAT bad. Wet corners I tip toe however. I feel more planted on my bicycle than the KLX in wet. Tires however would make a big difference.

The naked comments make a lot of sense. Dropping all that plastic is a real bummer I am sure.

I just may be smart to stick with the KLX. Although as pointed out some of this is just the want and some of this is its better suited for the task.

I do appreciate the insights.
Go take one out for a demo ride. It may be one of the best purchases you have ever made. Insurance on a ceebee is still dirt cheap. Give it a go!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go take one out for a demo ride. It may be one of the best purchases you have ever made. Insurance on a ceebee is still dirt cheap. Give it a go!
Shops around here don't do demo rides. That would be really nice. I need to find someone that wants to lend me a bike for a few :)

BTW, I had my wife calling on insurance today. I am sure it will be more but not sure how much.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Shops around here don't do demo rides. That would be really nice. I need to find someone that wants to lend me a bike for a few :)

BTW, I had my wife calling on insurance today. I am sure it will be more but not sure how much.
^
Same here but I was ready to rock and roll. Am glad I pulled the trigger on the purchase.

My insurance is $250 annually for full coverage. 250/12 = $20 ish monthly?? Sweet.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^
Same here but I was ready to rock and roll. Am glad I pulled the trigger on the purchase.

My insurance is $250 annually for full coverage. 250/12 = $20 ish monthly?? Sweet.
Interesting. My wife just said the insurance company quoted her $135 per month. Now there seems to be a little discrepancy here :).

My klx is $200 for the year. Sounds like that insurance company is not on the clue bus or my wife asked about a 1000 :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Full coverage insurance on my CRF230M is $38 a year. They wanted $360 a year for the CBR. And i'm 47 yo with no accidents or tickets.I opeted for state requirements only. CBR is considerd a sport bike in some states.. to me the CBR it is a up grade from a dual sport, hell who cares if the cbr gets scratched or cracked. Its a $4000 motorcycle , not a show piece

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Interesting. My wife just said the insurance company quoted her $135 per month. Now there seems to be a little discrepancy here :).

My klx is $200 for the year. Sounds like that insurance company is not on the clue bus or my wife asked about a 1000 :)

Wow what gives? I am through progressive.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it is concidered a sport bike from what she was told. Although it seems like a national insurance company would have the same classification.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I just did an online progressive quote. It varies a lot but it was everything but the kitchen sink for like 380 for the year. It starts full coverage at about $200 and the level of coverage like uninsured motorist, medical payments etc ramp it up.

My insurance is not in the ball park however.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts