Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bike about a month ago and I have a little over 300 miles on it. Every time I start it up, it dies unless I rev the throttle a bit. The only time when it doesn't die is if I've been riding around for a while and then I start it back up, but if it sits for 30 minutes or longer it will die again when I try to start it without giving it some throttle.

I told my dealer about it, but they said it's probably normal and they won't worry about it until my 600 mile check in.

This is my first motorcycle so I have no clue if it's normal or not. Keep in mind that I live in California and it rarely gets below 50F here... and it's usually 70 out when I'm riding, so it's not the weather that's causing it.

Do your bikes die if you don't give it some throttle on start? Or could there be something wrong with mine? This issue was happening before I installed my Yoshi slip-on, and it's still happening now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hi-Mine has NEVER stalled after I start it, even after sitting a month or so or in colder weather. I'm sure the dealer will blame it on the after market can!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi-Mine has NEVER stalled after I start it, even after sitting a month or so or in colder weather. I'm sure the dealer will blame it on the after market can!!
Interesting. I hope it's nothing too serious. I also took it in before I put the pipe on, so they can't blame it on the pipe (unless someone else is working).

You don't rev the throttle at all when starting up, correct? I always thought that you didn't have to with a fuel injected bike and it was one of the major reasons I bought the CBR over the Ninja.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I got my bike about a month ago and I have a little over 300 miles on it. Every time I start it up, it dies unless I rev the throttle a bit. The only time when it doesn't die is if I've been riding around for a while and then I start it back up, but if it sits for 30 minutes or longer it will die again when I try to start it without giving it some throttle.

I told my dealer about it, but they said it's probably normal and they won't worry about it until my 600 mile check in.

This is my first motorcycle so I have no clue if it's normal or not. Keep in mind that I live in California and it rarely gets below 50F here... and it's usually 70 out when I'm riding, so it's not the weather that's causing it.

Do your bikes die if you don't give it some throttle on start? Or could there be something wrong with mine? This issue was happening before I installed my Yoshi slip-on, and it's still happening now.
Give it a moment to work through the system before starting it. Mine has done this a few times but now that I have 500 miles on it, it is fine.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Give it a moment to work through the system before starting it. Mine has done this a few times but now that I have 500 miles on it, it is fine.
Thanks, will do. I'll upload a video on Tuesday when I get my rims back from the shop and show you guys what I'm talking about. It's just really frustrating being a new rider and having my bike die almost every single time I start it up.

·
Registered
878 Posts
As AOP says, it's happened to him and I'm sure it has to some others but it sure shouldn't happen frequently. I've had a dozen or so fuel injected bikes and never had one where it was an issue when starting but I had one that stalled when I was riding it and I made the dealer take it back after it stalled in the middle of a busy intersection once. Our CBRs have an electric fuel pump that pressurizes the system after the key is switched on and as the previous poster says wait a couple seconds before starting it, that's something I always do it's just a habit now.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks, will do. I'll upload a video on Tuesday when I get my rims back from the shop and show you guys what I'm talking about. It's just really frustrating being a new rider and having my bike die almost every single time I start it up.
The more miles you put on it, the better it will operate.

·
Registered
167 Posts
its absolutely abnormal.
Check ur fuel injector,ask dealer to reset ecu.
Check out your air filter also.

Mine can stay on without
throttle more than 3minuites.never had to try more.if you are so particular,i will check it out for you.

In carburetted bikes,kept in slow speed/lean fuel mode,engine can die,if you
give no throttle.but yourz is a cbr250r with programd fuel injection.it must not happen

either the dealer playing foul with you.
Get it correctd under warranty.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My bike did exactly the same thing - on cold starts it would rev up a little then when it would settled down and stall. Second start it was fine.
After I had my 600 mile tune up all was good, I would not worry about it they do adjust something that eliminates it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
happens to me on every start since i bought it... second time it stays going though. even sitting for an hour it will do it. Bike has been in for first service as well and done it after as well as before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
same problem

I've got about 350 miles on mine and it usually takes about 3 starts until it stays running. First start it will run for about 5 seconds and die, second time it will either run for about 10 seconds and die or stay running. If it doesn't stay running on the second start, the third time is always the charm. Lately on startup though, the throttle will sometimes start to run up to about 3500 rpm until I throttle it real quick and it'll go back to about 2k. I took it to the dealer and since they couldn't replicate the problem (it doesn't do this after riding it around and starting it again 10 minutes later) he just said don't worry about it till my 600 mile service. I've only had it for a month, and it's a pretty good dealer, so I know they'll take care of it...I just don't want to turn the bike in until I need to (regular maintenance). I don't like being without it for more than a few hours!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to let everyone know the issue with my bike has been fixed. I had the mechanic look at it when they switched out my rims for me. He wasn't there when I went to pick up my bike, so I'm not sure what he did to it... but it's not dying when I start it up anymore and it seems to be shifting a lot smoother.

Long story short, if your bike is having this problem then take it in to your dealer for a check-up (wait until your 600 mile if it doesn't bother you too much) and it should get fixed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts