Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gearbox jammed up on me tonight. Press the gear lever down into 1st and it stays there, got to push it back up (stiffly) with my foot. Push up into 3rd or whatever and it stays up, doesn't come down naturally. When pushing it up or down I have to do it forcefully as it's very very stiff and feels jammed.

Not good at all. :(

Oil level is fine. And if anything it's good timing as it's just due for it's 12,000km service. Hasn't been serviced since 6000km, but I changed the oil around 9000km. Will be into Honda in the morning. Any experience this on another bike?

·
Registered
706 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
If he did and didn't use the correct synthetic then there could be brass pieces inside that corroded a little from the oil. This is one thing they talk about on car transmissions, the brass synchros in a transmission mixed with the wrong oil will wear fast or stop working.

Though if you get a proper Honda approved synthetic it's well worth the extra cost. Since most of us don't drive more then 3-5k in a summer then you can be better off with just changing the oil once a year with synthetic where as if you have regular oil it breaks down at a faster rate and can lose it's oiling protection where as a synthetic breaks down slower.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If he did and didn't use the correct synthetic then there could be brass pieces inside that corroded a little from the oil. This is one thing they talk about on car transmissions, the brass synchros in a transmission mixed with the wrong oil will wear fast or stop working.

Though if you get a proper Honda approved synthetic it's well worth the extra cost. Since most of us don't drive more then 3-5k in a summer then you can be better off with just changing the oil once a year with synthetic where as if you have regular oil it breaks down at a faster rate and can lose it's oiling protection where as a synthetic breaks down slower.
Good points re oil.

I do take issue with "most of us" though! Could be true for North Americans, but a lot of members of this forum are from other places.

Please don't get me wrong; I am not nit picking, or flaming, and don't want to make a big issue of it. More a gentle reminder that it is a big world we live in!!!

Edit: OMG, I'm starting to sound like Premium Luke...... and he can certainly seem a bit US centric redneck at times.

Ahhh.... now that feels better; back on slightly abrasive Kiwi redneck track.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well I probably should have a just said a lot of us. I would ride mine all year but it's not exactly feasible to ride in 2 feet of snow. Which is why I need my car heh.

Realistically I know really nothing about Thailand so please dont be offended by any of my ignorance.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Well I probably should have a just said a lot of us. I would ride mine all year but it's not exactly feasible to ride in 2 feet of snow. Which is why I need my car heh.

Realistically I know really nothing about Thailand so please dont be offended by any of my ignorance.
Not offended; see my edit above.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All oil changes were Honda oil at honda dealers, didn't change to synthetic yet, taking it in to my American mate's Honda dealership this morning.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very easy to fix in the light of day.

The gear lever (foot) had become jammed, simply loosen the nut holding it in place and it moved freely up and down. Just not good to ride too far as the nut will start to come off altogether and the whole lever will fall off.

So would guess it's a small spring or something inside that allows it to be locked tight by the nut, but still be free to move up and down is the issue. Am heading into Honda today anyway so will see what it is.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Very easy to fix in the light of day.

The gear lever (foot) had become jammed, simply loosen the nut holding it in place and it moved freely up and down. Just not good to ride too far as the nut will start to come off altogether and the whole lever will fall off.

So would guess it's a small spring or something inside that allows it to be locked tight by the nut, but still be free to move up and down is the issue. Am heading into Honda today anyway so will see what it is.
It's funny how we often imagine the worst, but something turns out to be very simple.

I think we have the odd motorcycle hypochondriac thread on this forum, but that's another thing.

Get the gear lever sorted as soon as possible.

I think you will find there is a bolt that goes through the gear lever, which is threaded one side where it clamps on to the shaft which comes out of the gear box. There is usally a lock nut on the end of that.

If the clamp is not done up tightly enough it will move around on the shaft, and eventually wear the teeth on the clamp. If that happens you will never get it to stay put, in which case just replace the gear lever. The teeth on the shaft should be ok as it is made of harder metal.

I have just that problem recently with my Honda Dream after some grease monkey (not my usual mechanic) didn't fit the gear lever properly and successive tightening only resulted in wearing the threads out on the bolt and the clamp. I sensed that it any further effort would result in stripping the tread, so told the mechanic to get a new one. Fitted that properly..... problem sorted.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bike is in for it's 12k km service, with some extra stuff being done/checked. Will have her back tmro.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
12k service done. Everything came up good.

The gear issue was a rubber o-ring inside in the footlever assembly. Put in a new one and it's as good as new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts