Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Got my Red/Silver CBR two months back. run around 500 miles.
Its Monsoon out here.

Since last couple of days the steering seems to be heavy/jammed. feels like a lot of effort while cornering.

checked the Tyre pressure on front and back and is 30 PSI as per the manual.

Went to the local CBR dealer, he just oiled up some stuff andthe problem vanished for 2-3 days ,but after a week this issue has again reappeared.

Guys,any clues on this one.

Appreciate your inputs on this one

·
Registered
221 Posts
well not too many things that can affect the steering. There are the upper and lower triple trees / bridges. They go through your steering stem and have bearings on either side (you have to take it apart to get to them) but thoes could need replacing or lubricating.

Check if your forks are strait, just rub your hand down them, they should be as smooth as a baby's bottom. Not one nick/scratch/bump.

See if you can lift her off the front and check the play of the steering, something seems out of line/wack.

Did you hit it against anything recently?

When cornering at speeds BTW you should be counter steering, not turning the handlebars.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys,
i'm planning to again get back to the service station to sort this out.
let us see what he comes back with on this one.
Will keep you updated.

by the way, i never hit anything,hence an misalignment on the steering is ruled out.

Cornering here in the locality where i stay ,at high speed is not advisable cos it's too much congested.

i'm hardly able to cross 50 Mph on the speedo........

he he .....

never been able to push the baby to it's limits....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Guys,

by the way, i never hit anything,hence an misalignment on the steering is ruled out.
Didn't mean to accuse you of anything, just the first question anyone would ask you.

Also even if you didn't hit anything, it could be a factory glitch causing the misalignment.

Search the forum for the "illustrated parts list" and use that to see what the steering stem looks like with the bearings and the top triple tree/bridge. that is how the whole steering assembly attaches to the bike frame. From there (assuming frame is good) it would be the forks (maybe bent or even unlevel) and then to the wheel (rim, bearing, axle and all)

GL, Let us know what they say.

What "parts" did they lube last time?

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Axle pinch bolt (on the bottom of the forks) not tightened up out of alignment perhaps?
ie putting forces on the forks while compressing during cornering.

But yes jack up the front and check for cables routed incorrectly etc as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys,
i'm planning to again get back to the service station to sort this out.
let us see what he comes back with on this one.
Will keep you updated.

Cornering here in the locality where i stay ,at high speed is not advisable cos it's too much congested.

i'm hardly able to cross 50 Mph on the speedo........

he he .....

never been able to push the baby to it's limits....
It's a slightly late reply, but which city r u from OU827? Am from Hyd and got my cbr just a month ago. And i'm having the exact same problem. Twice the service guys have put it down as handlebar lock-nut problem, adjusted it and the problem seems to disappear for a short duration only!

Am just waiting and watching, for i've just got the first service done.

other than this one problem, the bike is purrfectt!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a slightly late reply, but which city r u from OU827? Am from Hyd and got my cbr just a month ago. And i'm having the exact same problem. Twice the service guys have put it down as handlebar lock-nut problem, adjusted it and the problem seems to disappear for a short duration only!

Am just waitinbarodag and watching, for i've just got the first service done.

other than this one problem, the bike is purrfectt!
Baroda

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same issue with my bike. I am from Bangalore. Pretty pissed off about it. Not happy with the dealer either - he is setup to service the tons of regular commuter bikes and I just don't trust him to do a good job on my bike.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I would look where the steering lock engages. Then oil the post that actually does the locking. It may be dragging in its containment, and not fully retracting. ?
Maybe check all the cables, and make sure they are not causing any hang ups.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts