Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looked at it this afternoon after reading a post here about checking it. The 2012 bike has about 130 miles on it. The check window was empty, nothin showing when bike is level. When I tilted the bike to its right side, I saw some oil slosh up, so it evidently didn't run totally dry. I plan to run to store tonight and get oil, but my worry is this: Have I already fried my engine? Last I rode was Thursday, and it sounded perfect.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a slow drop the first week into my fence. Didn't see anything leak out but bike was on its side for a few seconds. Maybe it dripped internally and burned off? I don't know. I'll be watching it damned closely for a while...

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
With only 130 miles on it, I'd contact your dealer and let them know. Either it wasn't filled properly when prepped or you have excessive oil consumption.

I'm guessing it wasn't filled to the correct level when you picked it up.

Use Hondaline 10W-30 - that's what should be in it now.

Jay

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll talk to the dealer. Im so happy I joined this forum - not sure if I would have thought to check the oil so soon on a new vehicle if not for one of the other posters...

·
Registered
879 Posts
Good thing you checked it before you did toast the engine. If it wasnt for this forum you might not have. Im thinking it was never filled all the way when you got it. Cant trust anyone always double check when it comes to the oil level

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
We all assume things are done right at the dealer, but it's clear that there are plenty of mistakes made - especially on the simple stuff.

Best thing to do is to plan on doing all the basic maintenance yourself. You should know how to do an oil change, check tire pressures (often!), and lube/adjust the chain regularly.

A cycle rider is much more dependent on proper maintenance for their safety than a car driver. There's more to do more often. Being able to do the work yourself, and know it was done properly, instead of blindly trusting some "professional" is all part of owning and riding a cycle IMO.

Jay

·
Registered
319 Posts
Was the engine running when you checked it?

I found with the engine running you wont see any oil in the sight glass when its upright.

Checked it on 4 different cBR's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts