Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this bike up a month ago(2012 CBR250) and have ridden 220km since getting it.

When I picked it up the oil level was full and I only checked after my ride today that the oil level is below the minimum line.

My question is have I ruined anything on the bike? It doesn’t make any unusual sounds or smell like anything is burning. And can I just too it up with the recommended 10W-30 or 10W-40. Bike has 32,000km on it

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don’t worry! False alarm, just realized you check oil level when bike is level and not on kickstand, bike has plenty of oil in it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Good to hear!

Check the oil level after waiting 3 minutes with the engine warm and the cycle balanced level.

Use a cycle-specific oil or a diesel oil like Rotella. Best to not use any standard auto oil in a cycle engine.

With the small volume of oil in the CBR, I always recommend using a full synthetic or synthetic blend oil like Rotella T5 10W-30. Check it and change it often - more often than the factory mileage recommendation IMO.

If you change the oil and filter yourself be very careful that the oil filter is installed in the proper direction. Failure to do that will result in severe engine damage instantly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips, also what colour should the oil look like in the view screen before I should change it?

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Thanks for the tips, also what colour should the oil look like in the view screen before I should change it?
That's going to differ by the oil - some are lighter and some are darker even when new.

With the limited capacity, I'd be changing it close to 3000 or 4000 mi. Not like it's expensive with that small of amount.

There is some debate going about changing the oil filter every time. I'd say if you are changing the oil at half the recommended max interval you could change the filter every two changes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts