Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrives early next week.

They're quite divisive. Some love 'em, some get angry at the lesser filtration they give.

I don't really care about the latter.

Will report back on real World difference.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I feel bad for you.

haha. But yeah good luck.

Previous owners had dirt going right through them and you could see the dirt on the other side of the filter.. If you ever see dirt, I'd avoid it like the plague. If you ride on all street and never see dirt, then yeah I wouldn't see an issue besides other little particles going through.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

·
Super Moderator
6,926 Posts
You'll need a dynamometer to measure the fraction of a HP difference... but if you ride at all on dusty gravel roads, you will definitely see the difference in the amount of crap that will get past the K&N filter and into the intake tract. I had a K&N on my '94 XR650L Dual Sport a number of years ago, and it did a piss poor job of dust filtration. Since then, all my XR's have Twin Air filters.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I feel bad for you.

haha. But yeah good luck.

Previous owners had dirt going right through them and you could see the dirt on the other side of the filter.. If you ever see dirt, I'd avoid it like the plague. If you ride on all street and never see dirt, then yeah I wouldn't see an issue besides other little particles going through.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, they do make the females get all hysterical.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'll need a dynamometer to measure the fraction of a HP difference... but if you ride at all on dusty gravel roads, you will definitely see the difference in the amount of crap that will get past the K&N filter and into the intake tract. I had a K&N on my '94 XR650L Dual Sport a number of years ago, and it did a piss poor job of dust filtration. Since then, all my XR's have Twin Air filters.
Don't expect a noticeable HP difference. Never see any dust. Had one for 2 yrs on my previous ride. No polar bears, penguins or nuns died.

·
Registered
599 Posts
The K&N hype is just that. Been there, done that.

There are better ways to increase HP.

·
Super Moderator
6,926 Posts
Most won't own their CBR250R long enough to see any savings with the K&N air filter, compared to the cost of replacing the $10 OEM Honda air filter every 10,000 to 12,000 miles... you'd have to get to 50,000 to 60,000 miles before the K&N would start to pay for itself. And that's not considering the additional cost of the K&N filter oil or cleaner.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I got mine used for about $25, so I am not complaining. Ive never had any issues with K&N filters or products when used as directed and properly maintained.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a KN filter with a dynajet. No problems here. Have left over 'recharge' from other filters.
I got mine used for about $25, so I am not complaining. Ive never had any issues with K&N filters or products when used as directed and properly maintained.
Polar bear killers.

How dare you.

A little $60 air filter, and people get upset over it. :D But but but what HP increase do you expect off that, huh, HUH?!?

Er none mate, it's a little $60 air filter. :D

·
Super Moderator
6,926 Posts
Polar bear killers.

How dare you.

A little $60 air filter, and people get upset over it. :D But but but what HP increase do you expect off that, huh, HUH?!?

Er none mate, it's a little $60 air filter. :D
Hey, no one is stopping you from pissing away your $60... if it makes you feel good spending money on an inferior product, go for it.

To me it's a $60 air filter which has proved itself to be a piece of crap, one that does a really good job of allowing dirt into your engine. Been there, done that. The $10 OEM Honda air filter is far superior at trapping dirt on the outside of the filter, which is all an air filter needs to do.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
And the IRC tyres are simply the best on the planet too. We know, we know.

Living in the desert, where the sand is like talcum powder, like yourself, it is advisable to max filtration.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
What is good about such reputable brands such as K&N and DNA is the information they list with regards to testing.

K+N HA2511:

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/HA-2511.pdf

137.1 cfm @1.5 inH20
Filtration results also listed.

DNA P-H2S11-01:

New DNA High Performance filter P-H2S11-01 for the Honda CBR 250 2011 | DNA Filters Ltd.
Honda | DNA Filters Ltd.

The filtering efficiency is extremely high at 98-99% filtering efficiency, with 4 layers of DNA® Cotton.
The flow of this New DNA Fcd filter is high, +29,50% more than the HONDA stock paper filter!
DNA Fcd air filter flow: 140,10 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5”H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius
Honda stock paper filter: 108,80 CFM (Cubic feet per minute) @1,5”H2O corrected @ 25degrees Celsius

Decent reviews on Amazon.

One of the suppliers in India had a batch that didn't include the frame in the box. :D K&N sent them out to owners FoC.

With my slightly modified exhaust I will probably disconnect the battery for 10 mins and reset the ECU, at next weekend's 72k km service.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I do not really agree with the above statement. Most times manufactures go for ease of manufacturing over hp and other aspects that increase production cost. I have no doubts that the Honda brand OEM filter does a fantastic job, but it isn't to say because Honda made it for the bike that it is the best and all the same superior to anything else on the market. If that was the case there would be no aftermarket products for any vehicle. Period.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You may find these links interesting...

Air Filter Test

Air Filter Filtration Testing

Someone tested various air filter tests in their Miata. The filters tested included stock and K&N. The testing included a filtration test in which they installed a second air filter downstream of the main air filter to see how much dirt it collected. The first link has the introduction and summary or results. The second link has more details on the filtration test.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It appears that we make quite the sacrifice in terms of filtration vs flow. I do drive on a very dusty road so I do wonder what the results for me would be.
I may personally switch back to OEM as I will be getting a slip on soon and will not be purchasing the piggy back tuner this year.
However, it appears all filters let in dirt of various degrees.
Most gasses have engine cleaners and even stand alone cleaners are widely available.
I wonder how well those do to.clean up the deposits.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Arrives early next week.

Will report back on real World difference.
Unlucky. I would suggest selling it.

The real world difference will be a dirtier air box, and more cleaning to do. Yes it may provide more flow, but a lot less filtration.

OEM is perfect for the bike. Use them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts