Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's it going everyone? I just picked up a 2012 CBR250R. The previous owner removed all the fairings and rattle can'd the tank, so it isn't the prettiest bike. But everything works on it! I'm debating on putting fairings back on it, or sticking with the street fighter kinda look; it needs a new headlight regardless.

Attachments

·
2,015 Posts
Welcome. I'm a firm believer in fenders for areas with a rainy season. But, I like rat bikes.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Looks like cheap fun! I'm in agreement on a front fender, maybe black. And a shiny exhaust system would classy it up nicely, along with nice clean rims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like cheap fun! I'm in agreement on a front fender, maybe black. And a shiny exhaust system would classy it up nicely, along with nice clean rims.
Front fender, as in over the tire, or front fairing, as in around the headlight?

I ordered a new headlight, and some side covers. I'm hoping to keep the street fighter/naked look with the round headlight in front, and integrate the signals into the front and rear lights. It'll probably get painted as well, most likely some shade of red. As for exhaust, I'm thinking of maybe putting a cbr500r exhaust on it. I don't want it loud at all, but it seems most aftermarket systems are. I wouldn't mind a little noise, but I need to not wake the neighbors when I leave at 5am for work. Biggest thing would be the weight savings and eye sore I'd be getting rid of!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I kinda like that "naked" look. Sort of looks like a small Yamaha FZ.
I'd definitely add a front fender, but I'd probably "chop" it short to maintain the street fighter look.
A stainless steel muffler would really bring the concept together.
If you get one that's relatively long with a DB killer, it shouldn't be obnoxiously loud. I have a 14" Delkevic DL-10 without a DB killer that's a lot quieter than most similar slip-ons, but Delkevic also makes an 18" SS slip-on for the CBR250R that adds 4" and a DB killer that should be a LOT quieter for under $200:

18" Stainless Steel Oval Muffler to fit CBR250R (2011-2014)

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Hi RadRacer and welcome to the club.
Just make sure the bike is technically sound. Unfortunately a sport bike turning "Street fighter" often translates directly into:"owner wrecked it and couldn't/didn't want to pay for the repairs". So there is a good chance the bike has been down hard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi RadRacer and welcome to the club.
Just make sure the bike is technically sound. Unfortunately a sport bike turning "Street fighter" often translates directly into:"owner wrecked it and couldn't/didn't want to pay for the repairs". So there is a good chance the bike has been down hard.
Luckily, I have contact with the last 2 owners of the Bike, so I know what's been done to it. I do know she threw the chain a while ago and cracked the case. The case was welded up, and chain and sprockets have been replaced since (300 miles ago, according to PO. Chain is still pretty tight so I believe it). She isn't the prettiest (yet!), but she's mechanically sound. There has been some wiring done that I plan to clean up, but it's not too horrible. She needs some work, but I'm prepared to give her what she needs!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
first thing to go imo is that heavy muffler..
with fairings etc removed, rear is even more
visually 'heavy', compared to visually 'light'
and 'lesser'.. ie, unbalanced..
[compare left side images]

with heavy steel and welds it looks
and is not only 'big' but 'heavy'..

for someone creative and able to do mods etc,
there are options available for db killers..
[lv evoII carbon comes with two db killers
and you can add additional damping]

bear in mind you can deliberately
make more, or less, noise..

your hands, control your throttle and clutch..

for early morning starts you start accordingly,
ie, not from the grid of a racetrack etc..
altho, my lv slip on will make noise under load,,
such as overtaking or taking off from lights
after filtering to the front and between cars [etc]..

for the rider with concern for neighbours etc,
that engine noise can actually help develop
finer control,, thus riding skills..
[i was unaware of over-blipping on downshifts
using engine braking to slow from speed, for eg,
until lv slipon made that obvious to me, thus
- if youre up for it - helpful feedback
on your throttle/riding habits..

·
2,015 Posts
Going back to the rat bike theme, my old 250 cc rat bike had the stock muffler, but it rose too high for saddle bags on both sides, hence one big saddle bag.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've already grabbed the fairings I want/need off eBay, thanks though.

I definitely agree the stock exhaust needs to be changed. I'm looking into some alternatives; hopefully something that doesn't cost 1/3 of what the bike is worth! I need to figure out what the stock mid-pipe diameter is and then I can work from there.

And I've already decided it's going back to red. The teal doesn't look too bad, but I prefer the red. I'll try and clean up the teal overspray (plus the pieces I put back on will cover alot), and have the tank and new pieces painted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,

I'm pretty late to the thread. Was wondering if you could let me know how the OEM gauge is mounted? I'm thinking of making a similar mod to my CBR 150R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts