Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. Glad I can finally say I belong on this forum after picking up my CBR250R last night! Quick story how I got to this point. About a year and a half ago I took the MSF course with my buddy after never having been on a motorcycle in my life (awesome class and PA offers it for free). After we passed and got our licenses, I started looking at bikes. For the longest time I was set on the revised 08+ Kawa Ninja 250. Then as I did more and more research online about bikes I found numerous articles about the benefits of ABS on bikes and I was hooked. Then I read about the CBR250R which was coming out with optional ABS. I knew that was the bike I wanted to get.

So that was spring last year when I was shopping for a bike...why did it take me a year to get my CBR250R? Well last season there were hardly any CBR250R's available in my area, and none of those were ABS models. Dealerships couldn't even tell me when they were going to be getting them in. Then Suzuki started doing it's clearance sale on leftover models, and I came across the GS500F. It's well-regarded as a beginner's bike, and they were offering $1,000 off and incredibly low interest rates. Decided that instead of waiting forever, I'd pick up the cheaper GS500F and despite it not having ABS brakes, that it would suffice and I would keep it for a long time. So I ended up buying a new '08 Black/Silver GS500F for $3800 OTD.

I liked my GS500F. It had the perfect amount of power - not enough power to overwhelm but definitely fast enough. Manufacturers need to make more bikes producing between 35-50 HP in my opinion. It also got around 59 MPG. However, it did have some downsides. The bike was essentially the same bike that was produced back in '89 when the GS500 was first introduced to the US, but with fairings added. Everything mechanical was dated - suspension, instrumentation, still had carbs, was relatively heavy for it's power at ~ 440 lbs with a full tank of gas. And it didn't have the ABS that I wanted. Soooooooo this year I got the okay from my wife to upgrade if I could find the ABS model CBR250R that I wanted from the start. I sold my GS500F on Craigslist while simultaneously shopping at dealerships for a CBR. After shopping for about a month, I finally settled on a price/dealership and put down my deposit. They actually were only getting in 1 ABS model, and it was the tri-color. I had my heart set on the red/silver, so they offered to swap the fairings and tank off of a non-ABS model they had in a crate so I could get my bike sooner. I said sure why not. $5165 out the door in eastern PA, picked it up last night.

I'll be doing a better writeup comparing the two bikes once I get the Honda past it's break in period and get some real miles and riding on it, but my initial observations are what I already anticipated. The bike is a lightweight compared to the GS500 and turns with no effort at all. It is down on power from the GS500, but the torque it provides makes it feel plenty quick. And apparently after I parked it and came into work today, the other guys who ride in all stopped to take a look at it (says my coworker who came in after me). I think I'm going to like this :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Hi guys. Glad I can finally say I belong on this forum after picking up my CBR250R last night!

I'll be doing a better writeup comparing the two bikes once I get the Honda past it's break in period and get some real miles and riding on it, but my initial observations are what I already anticipated. The bike is a lightweight compared to the GS500 and turns with no effort at all. It is down on power from the GS500, but the torque it provides makes it feel plenty quick. And apparently after I parked it and came into work today, the other guys who ride in all stopped to take a look at it (says my coworker who came in after me). I think I'm going to like this :)
1-welcome to the club :)
(nice to see the PA chapter growing strong)

2-you pretty much nailed the comparison :cool:

3-get used to the compliments , she is HOT ;)

btw-(i always btw):D congrats on your new toy and always wear your lid and gloves , even thought you sound like a smart rider already :cool:

..........not like me :(
i like shorts , t-shirts and J's :rolleyes:

..jk about the shorts and t-shirts ...... but i do love J's :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Grats on an awesome purchase! I'm interested to see what you think of the 250 vs. the 500. I agree, there really needs to be more offerings between the 250 and the 600 segments.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Congratulations. Welcome to
The forum and safe riding.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new bike! That 500 seems like it would've been a great deal. Too bad it was dated technology.

That's cool the dealer swapped out all the fairings, tank and whatnot so you could have the bike your really want.

I look forward to seeing your comparison. I agree, they should make more 35-50 hp bikes. Our bike have enough power, but it would be nice to have something with a little more power without it being ridiculous and harder to maintain control as a newer rider. A little more freeway power would be nice. I do however love my 250. :)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
^^^^^^^^ +1

Enjoy and look for an exhaust lol

·
Banned
834 Posts
congrats! same as mine. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congratulations on the CBR! I can't imagine being patient enough to wait as long as you did. I only survived 6 months! Enjoy!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings jessebeetle,

Welcome to the Forum. Congratulations on your New Red/Silver/Black cbr. More smiles to the miles in your Future.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome. Only 60 miles on her so far. Now we have this freak rain/snow in the NE in April! Rest of the week looks cold, rainy and overall crappy too! It's my curse - last year when I bought my GS500F it rained pretty much daily for a month and a half.

Even took a screen shot from weather.com last year because I was so annoyed lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts