Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i buy and sell a good amount of bikes, coming back to the sv650 whenever i find a good deal, or the honda 250/300 bikes. the deal on this one wasnt super, but i really wanted a good bike that i could use to teach my oldest kid how to ride.
we picked up the bike around 9 yesterday in college station, tx, and trailered it home. around 1pm we got a chance to go practice out at a nearby high school parking lot, where we wouldnt bother, or be bothered by, traffic. i think katie did a pretty good job her first time out, and she's looking sharp in her new gear. sidenote- you can get some decent gear for a lot less money now vs when i first started riding. this all came from cycle gear. mostly their in house brands. only cost about $320.
here's a video of her riding for her first time yesterday
lots of proud dad feelings there :)
last night and this morning, i got bit by the wrenching bug and ordered too many parts. it started with a fork seal kit. the left fork seal isnt any good. it turned into a new taller windscreen, some vortex clipons to replace the gross ebay specials, a 9" delkavic (which i'm totally having just a little buyer's remorse. shoulda gone for a longer pipe), stock mirrors to replace the shorter turn signal equipped mirrors, and some other stuff. ugh lol.

the bike looks like it's sat out in the sun a long time. some of the paint is fried, and i'd like to get it all over shiny again. i have seen the method of scraping it with a razor, or using a
heat gun on it, but has anyone had good luck with a specific polish or compound?

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Try some "cleaner wax" first. Start with something soft and work up to a more aggressive polish if necessary. I wouldn't use anything (scraper, etc) besides a soft to medium compound if you aren't planning to repaint.

If the paint is just oxidized it should polish-up, but if it's broken-down completely it will need to be repainted.

Has it been painted before? I didn't think they came completely red. Usually the fairing panels are silver.

SV650-haver here as well.

Best of luck with the training.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never seen an all red model before either. If it was a paint job, it was done really well. Lol I would have liked to have gotten a red and silver model. I think they look so nice. This one looks really good too. I'm currently in the shop, cleaning out the ton of grime from the front sprocket area. it's not shifting into neutral very easily, as you can see in the video. Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hello Matt and welcome to the forum.

Has it been painted before? I didn't think they came completely red. Usually the fairing panels are silver.
I believe that is a 2013 model. I've found some pictures of those in all red with black wheel rims.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Hello Matt and welcome to the forum.

I believe that is a 2013 model. I've found some pictures of those in all red with black wheel rims.
Yes - looks like you are correct.

Seems I only see the ones with the silver at the rear of the side fairings.

Looks good completely red.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts