Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a CBR250 for riding around town. Have never ridden before don't much about it, but have been doing a lot of research about it. Going to take the riding class to learn and for insurance reasons. Would the ABS be a smart choice? Any other important information that I should know before buying. Have multiple friends with bikes that suggested I get one for economic reasons and just for enjoyment. Would a new 2012 be a bad idea? Haven't found any used ones in Nebraska. What kind of jacket works well in summer months?
-any information would be extremely helpful in starting up! Thanks

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
The MSF class is a good thing, the class work is meaningful and will provide good information. The riding parts are also useful, but you never leave a parking lot which is a bit odd, but still gives you great information about steering, braking, etc.

When starting out, get good gear that fits. A $600 helmet isn't necessary, but one that actually fits is. Go to a local shop (not necessarily a dealer) that sells gear and try on stuff to see what fits. Even if you don't buy it there, best prices can be found on-line, but you got to get the right sizes first.

I wear a jacket that has a removable outer shell for rain, layers work well in winter, you can always take off stuff if you get too hot. If you buy a specific jacket just for winter, it either works or doesn't. I wear layers in pants, jacket and gloves.

When you first start riding, avoid traffic. I will always ride 5 miles out of
the way to avoid congested areas. Ride safe, keep both wheels on the ground and shinny side up, don't ride aggressive, cagers can get weird so avoid them where possible.

·
Registered
619 Posts
new rider, new bike, that's a bad combination. Part of the thing about learning, is dropping your bike. Consider a cheap used bike to learn on. A nighthawk 250, or a dual sport like cfr230, those are great bikes that can take some knocks.:eek:

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Would never buy a new motorcycle as a first bike.

For 1/3 the cost you can save alot of heartache.
cbr's dont crash well without race bodywork.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Would never buy a new motorcycle as a first bike.

For 1/3 the cost you can save alot of heartache.
cbr's dont crash well without race bodywork.
The new and used are sometimes priced so evenly it doesn't even matter. Rate wise, new is a much better option but I understand what you are suggesting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I looked at tons of used bikes before I bought my ceebee. The incentives on the 2011s made it the best deal. Some of the used 250s are actually selling for more than I paid for mine. I would be heartbroken if I dropped it though.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
A few suggestions from my experience -

As you said you will do - get training before heading out on the street.

As Aufitt said - don't buy a new bike as your first.

Don't finance a cycle.

Get decent gear, and always wear it. You don't need a super premium helmet, just a good name brand one.

Learn how to use your front brake like you really mean it. ABS can definitely save you. I've never had it, but have made mistakes and learned from them. It's a safety net most of the time. Especially for a new/inexperienced rider it has benefits, but it's not mandatory IMO.

Always have good tires, and check pressures often.

Learn to do your own basic maintenance. Proper maintenance = safety.

Don't sweat it if your first bike isn't your ultimate cycle. Older 250 Ninjas are a lot cheaper and easier to find. Just make sure to put new tires on anything you buy used if the tires are older than 4 or 5 years.

Never go straight off a corner if you come in too fast - lean it over more and ride it out.

Don't listen to music when you ride.

Ride smart and alert at all times.

I've got 30+ years on the street so far, and have been injured a few times and made some bad decisions that could have been worse. Know that you can go down, but never give up on riding-out a challenging situation.

Jay

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
^ we need a Like button on this site.
Wise words.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
We also need dislike button. :p

That is my biggest gripe about FB. Why can't I dislike all the BS posted there.

But in relation to this thread. Auffit is totally right. Go get a used bike.

You can find a used, pregen(before '07) Ninja 250 for < 2k. Better than any deal you will get for a new bike. :) Ride it, learn, then come back and get your nice shiny new bike.:)

I had an '09 Ninja 250 used as my first bike. I am so happy I got a used bike for my first bike. :) Now I am enjoying my new CBR250 plenty.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My 2011 CBR had better rates than a used 2007 Ninja they had.

·
Registered
160 Posts
New-vs-Used.

I had ridden years ago, but when I decided to start riding again, I got a new Buell Blast. I dropped it the first month I had it in a slow parking lot low-side. Had the bike not been naked, it probably would have cost allot to fix. I replace a turn signal, rim on headlight and used some black paint to touch up the rear of the mirrors for about $50.

I would agree though, getting a used bike to drop the first time is goingt to cost less, also look at a standard bike that doesn't have so much plastic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A few suggestions from my experience -

As you said you will do - get training before heading out on the street.

As Aufitt said - don't buy a new bike as your first.

Don't finance a cycle.

Get decent gear, and always wear it. You don't need a super premium helmet, just a good name brand one.

Learn how to use your front brake like you really mean it. ABS can definitely save you. I've never had it, but have made mistakes and learned from them. It's a safety net most of the time. Especially for a new/inexperienced rider it has benefits, but it's not mandatory IMO.

Always have good tires, and check pressures often.

Learn to do your own basic maintenance. Proper maintenance = safety.

Don't sweat it if your first bike isn't your ultimate cycle. Older 250 Ninjas are a lot cheaper and easier to find. Just make sure to put new tires on anything you buy used if the tires are older than 4 or 5 years.

Never go straight off a corner if you come in too fast - lean it over more and ride it out.

Don't listen to music when you ride.

Ride smart and alert at all times.

I've got 30+ years on the street so far, and have been injured a few times and made some bad decisions that could have been worse. Know that you can go down, but never give up on riding-out a challenging situation.

Jay
I've had a hard time finding older used bikes...where do you suggest that I look? Sorry if it's s dumb question new to this...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I've had a hard time finding older used bikes...where do you suggest that I look? Sorry if it's s dumb question new to this...
My first place to look is always Craigslist. I'd never purchase a cycle on Ebay or anywhere I couldn't look it over closely first.

Dealerships aren't usually a very good choice for used bikes, but there can be exceptions.

Never, ever, buy any kind of an "Extended Warranty/Service Contract" if you end-up at a dealership. They'll give you a whole song-and-dance about how it will pay off in the long run. What they mean is it will pay off for them... 9 times out of 10 you'll decide to sell that cycle for something else before the contract is out anyway. They probably make more on a big fat warranty/contract than on most sales.

Don't be in a hurry. Now is a good time to start looking around. An inexpensive first bike will take some of the pressure off. You will make mistakes. Most likely there will be at least one no-speed/low-speed tip-over as you are learning.

Where are you located?

Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first place to look is always Craigslist. I'd never purchase a cycle on Ebay or anywhere I couldn't look it over closely first.

Dealerships aren't usually a very good choice for used bikes, but there can be exceptions.

Never, ever, buy any kind of an "Extended Warranty/Service Contract" if you end-up at a dealership. They'll give you a whole song-and-dance about how it will pay off in the long run. What they mean is it will pay off for them... 9 times out of 10 you'll decide to sell that cycle for something else before the contract is out anyway. They probably make more on a big fat warranty/contract than on most sales.

Don't be in a hurry. Now is a good time to start looking around. An inexpensive first bike will take some of the pressure off. You will make mistakes. Most likely there will be at least one no-speed/low-speed tip-over as you are learning.

Where are you located?

Jay
Alright I'll keep checking Craigslist appreciate the tips and advice...I'm go to school in a small town in western Nebraska but I live in Lincoln Nebraska in the summer so all of my riding will be in town.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I just went through all of this a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to buy a brand new bike b/c I know for a FACT that it's gonna get dropped. Sooner or later. And I was stuck between a Ninja250 or CBR250. I'm a Honda girl so I was already partial to the CBR. But I wanted to look at the Ninja anyways. To it's disadvantage, it's not fuel injected and it's clutch isn't as "beginner" friendly. But the nail in the coffin was when I called up Nationwide and got the insurance quote. $670/year!!! More than double the premium for the CBR. $240/year. I looked on Craigslist for used bikes. But couldn't find a single used CBR and the ones I found online from dealers were **** near how much if not more than a brand new one. So with that being said, I decided to get my money's worth and bought it brand new. And got a killer interest rate through Honda Financial. If I drop it, I'm ok with it b/c I know it's GOING to happen. I'd be pissed but it's not the end of the world. I'd be more mad at myself if I paid more for used than new. Plus, it's only 4k new. And I was deadset on getting the ABS because I was worried about panic stops etc. But after talking to a lot of ppl I know that ride, everyone told me that since I'd never ridden before, I wouldn't know the difference. It's def nice to have but it's really up to you. Do you want to pay the extra $500 for it? I decided to save the money. Especially since the gear that I wanted is so expensive.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You need to clarify what rates - insurance, finance...

Jay
BOTH!

Financing and insurance were both cheaper with the new CBR.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I just went through all of this a couple weeks ago. I didn't want to buy a brand new bike b/c I know for a FACT that it's gonna get dropped. Sooner or later. And I was stuck between a Ninja250 or CBR250. I'm a Honda girl so I was already partial to the CBR. But I wanted to look at the Ninja anyways. To it's disadvantage, it's not fuel injected and it's clutch isn't as "beginner" friendly. But the nail in the coffin was when I called up Nationwide and got the insurance quote. $670/year!!! More than double the premium for the CBR. $240/year. I looked on Craigslist for used bikes. But couldn't find a single used CBR and the ones I found online from dealers were **** near how much if not more than a brand new one. So with that being said, I decided to get my money's worth and bought it brand new. And got a killer interest rate through Honda Financial. If I drop it, I'm ok with it b/c I know it's GOING to happen. I'd be pissed but it's not the end of the world. I'd be more mad at myself if I paid more for used than new. Plus, it's only 4k new. And I was deadset on getting the ABS because I was worried about panic stops etc. But after talking to a lot of ppl I know that ride, everyone told me that since I'd never ridden before, I wouldn't know the difference. It's def nice to have but it's really up to you. Do you want to pay the extra $500 for it? I decided to save the money. Especially since the gear that I wanted is so expensive.
I agree. I was looking at buying second hand to start but the price difference just wasn't worth it. I know I'm going to drop this (at some stage). Yes, it'll probably bring a tear to my eyes but I know it's going to happen. It's a learner bike, so use it to learn.

Plus, buying new you can be fairly sure that there are going to be no mechanical glitches that will bite you on the ass which means you can concentrate on learning rather than "Is that noise normal?", "Did the last guy keep it maintained properly?" etc. Buying second hand is always a lottery (unless you know the person you're buying from). And when I weighed up the choices, i figured I'd rather know my bike was brand new with no faults (well, most likely - even brand new bikes or cars can have faults. It's just far more likely they don't). If it doesn't shift properly, it's almost certainly something I'm doing wrong. Not that the clutch is stuffed and needs to be fixed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts