Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was on my way home yesterday on the highway. an 18wheeler gets on the highway about 200-300 yards in front of me. speed limit is 65. by the time i get closer to him he is doing 35-40. i cant go around him b/c i am taking the next exit. & we are about 50ft from it. guess what he takes the exit also. so i am paranoid someone wont see me doing 35 behind this a**clown. we finally get on the onramp now he has slowed down to about 15-20. when we get to the red light @ the next intersection. he is going the same way as me. (big suprise)
i look behind me & another guy on a cruiser pulls up. when the light turns green, apparently his truck takes forever to start moving. when we finally get to the road he pulls directly into the RIGHT lane. me and the guy behind me get in the left to pass him up. when i get just passed his tires in the back i see the cab of the truck moving into my lane. we both slammed on our brakes. thank god no one was behind us. i wound up stopping on the "median" side of the white line to avoid being taken out by his back tires. apparently my air horn isnt loud enough b/c i held it down the whole time the asshole crossed over 3 lanes.

Just glad i kept my cool. & started to stop when i first saw him start to drift. probably could of been disastrous for the guy on the cruiser and myself.

i am normally in this situation but the truck STAYS in the RIGHT lane & doesnt decide to get back on the highway while i am trying to pass him. i dont plan on trying to pass anymore in this situation.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Trucks are a big danger zone for us largely b/c they can't see us except for a few places when they're looking. If you're going to pass do it quickly & spend no more time beside them then necessary. Unless you can see it clear 50 ft past the truck hold up till you have it, then downshift & accelerate as fast as you can to blow by him, on the left third of your lane.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Best to make a mental note of corners when dealing with trucks. Many truck drivers are lost and looking at street signs and may make a quick turn. We are invisible to them for the most part. That's why you look ahead of them to see what options he may take so you know what your best option is.

As for pulling out in from of you on the highway, he may have simply not seen, or he could have said 'hey there some dud on a crotch rocket, watch me slow him down..."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts