Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's a head scratcher isn't it.

Comparing Cdn prices. For the exact same price you can get an FI *and* ABS on a bike that gets significantly better gas mileage with roughly equivalent performance.

I dunno.. seems like a no brainer to me.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
Thailand:

Ninjette: 153,000thb.
CBR250R: 100,000-110,000thb. (standard model).

Easy decision.

Although the ninjette models here are fuel injected.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Devil's advocate

I, too, wish the US Kawi would match what most the rest of the world gets, however...counterpoint follows.

Why upgrade to EFI when it already trumps the competition in power?
ABS - pretty new to bikes - not that it is a bad thing - but worth cutting into their profit margin?
Price - in the US we'd better get used to prices going up on imports...ultimately it is a good thing (but that's political commentary that we don't need mucking up this thread - so let's leave it at that).

Do I personally own a current gen Ninja 250? NOPE - I'm Honda through and through...but I wouldn't be against it.

I'll say it once again - had the CBR250R been released with the VTR250 engine we'd have an entirely different discussion going on here (i.e. - wow, Kawasaki yanks the Ninja 250 from the US market due to lackluster sales!)

:eek:

WW

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
One would think that Kawa wld want to release a new Ninja product. That said, perhaps they are awaiting the 2011 stats regarding the cbr 250 entrance into the quarter litre world. Just a thought, however I'm revelling in the cbr 250r success and admit I'm prejudice:rolleyes:

na na na na boo boo:p

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol thats lucky! Ninja here is 6.2k Usd:eek: and the CBR is 4.6k How much is the CBR250r in Canada?
$4999 w/ABS
$4499 w/o ABS (though I saw some on end-of-season sale in Vancouver for $4299. No such sale on the ABS models, which tells ya something). :D

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
The Kawasaki has been Australias biggest selling roadbike for 20 yrs (outside CT110 postie bikes) theyve had a good run.

The day the cbr250r was released @ $5490 & $5990 abs + on road costs.... the Kawasaki's price dropped from $7490 to $5990.

There is still Noobs trying to sell their '08, 09, '10 models for more than you go buy a new one.

Honda is killing them now.. their run is over.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
FI

I, too, wish the US Kawi would match what most the rest of the world gets, however...counterpoint follows.

Why upgrade to EFI when it already trumps the competition in power?
My 09 Ninja 250 is very cold blooded with it's carburetors. And that is despite having drilled the plugs open to adjust the idle mixture richer. And I'm at 1000 feet elevation. I'm sure it is worse in the mountains. For a commuter or sport touring machine that will see elevation changes, Fuel injection with an O2 sensor makes carburetors seem like caveman technology. I am going to add a new FI kit from India to my Ninja as a winter project. The kit is a steal at $500 and features dual throttle bodies, full two channel wideband O2 sensors for logging and user programming for the maps all in one box.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Kawasaki

The CBR250R will crush the sales of the Ninja250 next year especially on a world wide basis in countries where Honda is pushing the 250 as a real means of transportation along side their new scooters and Kawasaki seems to have very poor dealer networks. It looks like Kawasaki has spent all of their money on the all new Ninja650. It interestingly features an adjustable windscreen.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I am going to add a new FI kit from India to my Ninja as a winter project. The kit is a steal at $500 and features dual throttle bodies, full two channel wideband O2 sensors for logging and user programming for the maps all in one box.
Could you provide a link as to where you are getting this (throttle bodies + ECU with programmable maps + two wideband O2 sensors) for that cost.

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 09 Ninja 250 is very cold blooded with it's carburetors. And that is despite having drilled the plugs open to adjust the idle mixture richer. And I'm at 1000 feet elevation. I'm sure it is worse in the mountains. For a commuter or sport touring machine that will see elevation changes, Fuel injection with an O2 sensor makes carburetors seem like caveman technology. I am going to add a new FI kit from India to my Ninja as a winter project. The kit is a steal at $500 and features dual throttle bodies, full two channel wideband O2 sensors for logging and user programming for the maps all in one box.
I agree that EFI would likely improve the bike, I was only playing counterpoint that the (beancounters) at big Green probably don't feel it necessary to maintain sales. Just a guess :confused:

WW

·
Registered
220 Posts
Just a much fatter profit I guess. The Ninja sold in India is FI, and does not have the carb issues. However the CBR has wiped it out as it costs 1/2 to less than 2/3rd the price.

Kawasaki has decided not to drop prices either, so the 250 is basically dead here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't think the CBR250R will crush the sales of the Ninja 250.
I'am sure Kawasaki work on EFI system but as the old saying gose if ain't broke don't mess with it.
To me the new CBR250R is a major dispointment as a single cylinder I was hoping for 300cc twin cylinder.
What also a real dispointment is hosepower number of this bike only has 24hp from what I read and CRF250R has 43hp and it only tab more then mine CRF150R and if recall rigth Ninja 250 25/26hp and really old tech and been a round 25+ years not bad Kawasaki so where Honda Ture Innovations at like why didn't Honda just use same technology designed from CBR600R but with 2 less cylinder turn in to CBR300R.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Price

Honda went with a single to keep the price down.
I don't think the CBR250R will crush the sales of the Ninja 250.
I'am sure Kawasaki work on EFI system but as the old saying gose if ain't broke don't mess with it.
To me the new CBR250R is a major dispointment as a single cylinder I was hoping for 300cc twin cylinder.
What also a real dispointment is hosepower number of this bike only has 26hp fro what I read and CRF250R has 43hp and it only tab more then mine CRF150R and if recall rigth Ninja 250 25/26hp and really old tech and been a round 25+ years not bad Kawasaki so where Honda Ture Innovations at like why didn't Honda just use same technology designed from CBR600R but with 2 less cylinder turn in to CBR300R.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts