Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
My lock/ignition gives me **** from time to time as well. I screw with it enough and it eventually ooperates.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
See? And there you were questioning Honda quality...the darn things fix themselves!
I am happy it is working with out a doubt :p but one of the many reasons I choice the Honda cbr250r was because of the reputation of Honda quality so this did upset me. Again I am happy it has fixed itself but I could had lived with out this experience.:eek:

I just hope this is the first and last of WTF moments for my baby :confused:

I love this bike and don't want anther bike as far as 250's but I don't want to have stuff like this happen often.

I am also willing to admit, It could had been the spare key which in case it would had nothing to do with Honda quality as well.

I just traded in a Hyundai with 170k and no problems at all other then a broken sun visor and window power motor that both broke with in the last months I own it. I guess IN MY MIND , If I had such great quality from a Hyundai, I figured this would be a tank that could go though a nuclear blast and still run like new.

I believe though all will be OK :D NOW and I am def not trying to bash on Honda , It just upset me and concerned me. I won;t lie I don't like Honda car designs at all and I stay so in many car sites but I have always admiral Honda for it's tank like quality i read about so that is why I brought this bike too and I love Honda's bike designs.

Honda car designs went bad though in the last 4 to 7 years. The only Honda cars I like is the Accord coupe. The acura TSX sedan which if am I right, is the accord in the UK ?

That wagon accord thing is not ugly but it is odd and in a way I like it/ The civic is not the civic of the 90's that IMO rivaled BMW designs.

I know I just went off topic :)- Maybe Honda should give their bike designers a crack at the cars because IMO honda bikes have the best designs both sport or cruisers

·
Super Moderator
6,916 Posts
... I am also willing to admit, It could had been the spare key which in case it would had nothing to do with Honda quality as well...
So are you saying your "spare" key is not the extra key you got with the bike, but rather one that you had made? If so, that would explain the whole problem right there. BTW, you should have gotten two keys from the dealer when you took delivery of your bike.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So are you saying your "spare" key is not the extra key you got with the bike, but rather one that you had made? If so, that would explain the whole problem right there. BTW, you should have gotten two keys from the dealer when you took delivery of your bike.
No I never had a extra key made. My spare key is one of the two my Honda dealer gave me with my motorcycle.

It has always been a bit touchy trying to get the key to unlock and release , but now after this morning it is turning silk like . It make wonder if it was the spare key I used( First time I used it was yesterday ) and maybe one of the edges on the key broke off and got in the ignition and change the pattern of the lock or something in the ignition itself came loose? I am guessing at this point .

I think I am going get the spare key and look at both again and see if I can see if something broke off the spare key .

Its odd though because now it is working better then when it was new.

I have try it about 10 times already today and every time it unlocks and locks and releases easy too now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
No I never had a extra key made. My spare key is one of the two my Honda dealer gave me with my motorcycle.
I'm just curious as to how you designated one of them as the spare key?

I received a key ring from the dealer that had two identical keys on it. No way to know which one was a spare or not. In other words I don't think you can call either of them the spare key, they both should work identically. If you have a problem with one of them, maybe the key was cut improperly, I would take that back to the dealer and have a new key made if that is the case.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I'm just curious as to how you designated one of them as the spare key?

I received a key ring from the dealer that had two identical keys on it. No way to know which one was a spare or not. In other words I don't think you can call either of them the spare key, they both should work identically. If you have a problem with one of them, maybe the key was cut improperly, I would take that back to the dealer and have a new key made if that is the case.
I have two different key chains on them. The spare one has a white plastic sleeve with TWIGG CYCLES wrote on it that hangs on the key ring and my regular key that I use has a blue coke bottle opener looking sleeve on the key ring of the regular key. I don't like the white cheap key chain sleeve so I have always used the other one and the one that is the spare just became the spare by choice of me not using it till yesterday for the first time.

I only used the spare key because I misplaced my regular key, but found it later in my clothes I had wore the night before.

Also my regular key has my shed door key to lock the shed door on it so that is anther way I can tell which is the spare key I have never used until yesterday.

I will have to see if the dealer can do that as far as re cutting the spare key , assuming that is what the problem is. I look at both and don't see nothing different in the keys edges so who knows

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
One thing that needs to be remembered is that motorcycles have a fair number of "wear" items that need to be monitored, tightened/replaced as needed, etc. Cars tend to be more sealed-unit replacement oriented and have longer component lifespans. You got good service from your Hyundai; expect to do far more with the bike. Chains, sprockets, brake pads and fluid, etc. will need tending to, as well as tires and valves.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
One thing that needs to be remembered is that motorcycles have a fair number of "wear" items that need to be monitored, tightened/replaced as needed, etc. Cars tend to be more sealed-unit replacement oriented and have longer component lifespans. You got good service from your Hyundai; expect to do far more with the bike. Chains, sprockets, brake pads and fluid, etc. will need tending to, as well as tires and valves.
Thanks for that. I realize those items need to be watched and replaced over time. I plan to follow the Bikes maintenance schedule as I did with all my cars. I believe that is one reason all the cars I ever have had has lasted for many miles.

I alway follow about 90% of the maintenance schedule.. aka I may go a few more miles between the schedules as listed in the books or I may skip some I feel is not as important and needed to be done as much or at all.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
this is repeating a point, but if you need another key take your good key
to a genuine 'locksmith'.. locksmith cut two new keys for me for $8 each
on strong motorcycle blanks, not just whatever blank was available to
a store front key cutter.. take the bike with you..
while your there, show him your original keys and ask his opinion..
if theres any misalignment, slight bend, or bits broken off,
the locksmith will see/know it..
also, doesnt take much exposure in the rain or hose to get water
into the lock/ignition.. when my key became stuck and difficult
to move/operate correctly, i sprayed wd40 into the barrel,
ie, really saturated the thing with wd40 [rag under for excess]
and while it did function again after about 15 mins break
it worked even more smoothly and easily the next day..

the little lock shutter must have some effect,
but it isnt watertight.. water will get in there,
unless you cover the lock whenever its in
the rain or gets hosed down etc,
thus a handy medicine bottle lid
to match with a little bluetack
in its corner is a good idea..

[my lid is the same red as my bar ends
and a few red covers on my black bike,
causing others to think its part of the bike]

locksmith... lots of wd40.. lock cover..

·
Registered
96 Posts
My lock was getting a little finicky, so I heeded the warning from this thread and sprayed some Teflon (PTFE) dry lube in it. It's working much smoother now. Then I remembered the key was sticking in the garage door lock. So I sprayed it. My daughter told me one of the inside doorknobs wasn't working well, so I sprayed it. The hinges on the door were squeaking, so I sprayed them. Then remembered the back door is a pain....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I've had this problem plenty of times. Not sure if something is wrong with my key but I can insert it into the ignition and if it won't turn, I just remove the key, turn the key upside down, retry and ironically it works.

·
Registered
232 Posts
mines been having this problem. cant get my key in there without wiggling it and forcing it, then it doesnt want to unlock the handlebar lock, and also hard to get it to switch to the on position, might have to try some wd-40

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Seems a whole lot of fuss that is fixed by a drop of lubricant.

And cover the keyhole when washing.. all motorcycles do this when neglected.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Seems a whole lot of fuss that is fixed by a drop of lubricant.

And cover the keyhole when washing.. all motorcycles do this when neglected.
I think that was a bit of stretched to say neglected
I don't or have ever neglected my motorcycle. These are things new riders don't know and learn as I did, still it shouldn't be that hard IMO. Yes wd40 fixed the problem. Buying know Co worker who have motorcyles and this has never happened

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think that was a bit of stretched to say neglected
I don't or have ever neglected my motorcycle. These are things new riders don't know and learn as I did, still it shouldn't be that hard IMO. Yes wd40 fixed the problem. Buying know Co worker who have motorcyles and this has never happened

Use some actual lubricant and it will last longer.

I use WD-40 to clean it out and follow it up with some chain lube or oil, depending on what I've got. Anything will work, pretty much. I use olive oil a lot, actually, because it's usually readily available and doesn't go rancid like other oils. Turns out olive oil is pretty good machine oil. :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
My bikes key will not unlock the bikes ignition. I push down on it and it won't turn right or left.

What can I do to fix this?

I am thinking of spraying wd40 on the key ,should I ?

Dont know is someone mentioned this already or not as I did not read the whole thread but just the ??...

They key actually works you just have to make sure you got the bars turned as far left as possible or it will catch like that... will not lock or unlock. happened to me the first 20 miles or so.

~ Wake

·
Registered
119 Posts
i had a major problem with this during the colder months with my cbr250. My ignition basically seized completely, in various states, locked, off, on, can't remove the key etc. I finally had to get it towed to the dealer, and it turned out to be some 'semi' warranty covered issue. They replaced the whole lock assembly, new keys for from and back. Luckily my insurance paid for the tow as well, so ended up paying 0$. Never did any research on this issue after the fact, and this is the first time i've heard of anyone with a similar problem.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had this problem. Dealer said that part of the internal lock (possible the trap) had some surface rust on it. They said its not covered under to warranty due to being stored outside, apparently it needs to live inside with me. But the dealer did spray it out with some liquid graphite and it has been working great since. From now on I will periodically do this to keep it working.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts