Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently installed led mirrors and Proton flush mounts on my bike and now they are acting weird. I did some searching around here on the boards and found 2 possible fixes along with some fixes that I found on a few other boards.

Fix 1, not sure if it would alleviate my problem but 12oClockLabs fixed rate flasher.

Fix 2, DIY Diode setup.

Here is a quick video showing right turn signals, left turn signals, and signals canceled. They randomly fire off almost like hazards. I installed the Protons using bullet connectors for a OEM style quick disconnect. For the mirror with integrated signals, I used a T-Tap off of the positive turn signal wire.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Youtube Vid <-----CLICK HERE

· Registered
9 Posts
Here is a quick video showing right turn signals, left turn signals, and signals canceled. They randomly fire off almost like hazards.
Do you mean they are flashing like hazards when the turn signals are canceled?

I ordered these for hyperblinking, since they are resistors that might fix the entire problem? I could be wrong though

Amazon.com: CUTEQUEEN TRADING 2PCS 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights or DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) or stop brake with 4pc Quick wire Clip: Automotive

· Registered
141 Posts
The CBR250 runs the turn signals at reduced power to act as running lights. It sounds like you've tapped into that circuit, so when the turn signals are off ("canceled"), your extra lights are still getting power, reduced power, which they are probably not made to handle. So they act weird.

As far as the fast flashing during turn signal operation - I think this is because the additional lights cause reduced resistance of the whole circuit, which causes fast flashing - this is the typical flash-flash-led-need-resistors-or-new-flasher problem.

I'm not sure what a good solution is, I think the flasher is actually built into the ECU (Electronic Control Module), so I don't think you can just swap out the flasher. Even if you could do that, there is still the reduced-power-running-lights problem. Same thing with adding resistors - that would solve the fast flash but not the low power flickering.

You might be able to setup relays that won't trip with the reduced power running lights, instead have them only trip with the full power turn signal flash.

I don't know how the ECU makes this "reduced power", if it uses a voltage regulator or what. But voltage regulators are only made to handle so much current (power), so the additional load of your lights could damage it. Because of the odd setup of the CBR250 turn signal circuits I would not add any additional lights. You could hook yours to 12v switched power and just use them as running lights. On the other hand I'm sure it's possible to design a circuit that makes this work.

· Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I ordered these for hyperblinking, since they are resistors that might fix the entire problem? I could be wrong though

Amazon.com: CUTEQUEEN TRADING 2PCS 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights or DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) or stop brake with 4pc Quick wire Clip: Automotive
Brenden, if you watch the last 10 seconds of the video, it shows that the lights flicker randomly. I don't mind the hyper blinking as they get more attention then a slow blink. I will look into this product and see what its about. Might send an email to 12oClockLabs and see what they recommend also.

The CBR250 runs the turn signals at reduced power to act as running lights. It sounds like you've tapped into that circuit, so when the turn signals are off ("canceled"), your extra lights are still getting power, reduced power, which they are probably not made to handle. So they act weird.

As far as the fast flashing during turn signal operation - I think this is because the additional lights cause reduced resistance of the whole circuit, which causes fast flashing - this is the typical flash-flash-led-need-resistors-or-new-flasher problem.

I'm not sure what a good solution is, I think the flasher is actually built into the ECU (Electronic Control Module), so I don't think you can just swap out the flasher. Even if you could do that, there is still the reduced-power-running-lights problem. Same thing with adding resistors - that would solve the fast flash but not the low power flickering.

You might be able to setup relays that won't trip with the reduced power running lights, instead have them only trip with the full power turn signal flash.

I don't know how the ECU makes this "reduced power", if it uses a voltage regulator or what. But voltage regulators are only made to handle so much current (power), so the additional load of your lights could damage it. Because of the odd setup of the CBR250 turn signal circuits I would not add any additional lights. You could hook yours to 12v switched power and just use them as running lights. On the other hand I'm sure it's possible to design a circuit that makes this work.
Zircon, thanks for the reply. Im going to talk to our Tech Spec here at work and see what kind of fix he can recommend. I'll present him with a few of the ideas you have shared. Ive seen him do miracles on LED boards and wiring fixes.

· Registered
141 Posts
Here's an idea. I think that a 12v relay might not trip when powered by the reduced running light power. But it should trigger with the full power turn light power. So if you hooked up the additional lights through a normally closed 12v relay, then triggered that relay with the turn signal power, you'd have full brightness running lights on your additional lights, and they would flash OFF when your turn signals flash on. As in your regular turn lights and your additional lights would flash alternately, like rail road signals.

If the relay does trigger with the running light power, an inline resistor might prevent that.

· Registered
2 Posts
Do you mean they are flashing like hazards when the turn signals are canceled? I ordered these for hyperblinking, since they are resistors that might fix the entire problem? I could be wrong though Amazon.com: CUTEQUEEN TRADING 2PCS 50W 6Ohm LED Load Resistors for LED Turn Signal Lights or LED License Plate Lights or DRL (Fix Hyper Flash, Warning Cancellor) or stop brake with 4pc Quick wire Clip: Automotive
My problem is the headlight blinks when you turn on a turn signal if I turn on the right turn signal the turn signals work but the headlight blinks also is it supposed to do that

· Registered
2 Posts

My problem is the headlight blinks when I turn on the right blinkers or the left blinkers the blinkers work perfect but the headlight blinks with them it's supposed to do that

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
My problem is the headlight blinks when I turn on the right blinkers or the left blinkers the blinkers work perfect but the headlight blinks with them it's supposed to do that
Hi. Have you already connected ballast resistor in parallel for each LED lamp (separately)? Maybe you need to replace the signal relay? Try to see if this thread is useful for you?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts