Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Legal Question about NEW YORK STATE: Does anyone know the law for underglow or any led/neon lights on MOTORCYCLES SPECIFICALLY? I know we got exhaust decibel laws but I hear Harleys go by all the time that are so loud that stuff in my house shakes. Do cops look the other way on bikes most of the time? I want to drive with my lights on cause it looks nice but also makes me very visible for night driving. I have also heard it's certain colors they dont like, some don't care if they cant see the bulbs, ect ect. My light layout is below and none of my lights are visible, and they are all led.

Reactions: Omg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Best way to find out is to ask the police. I think the law is no flashing, oscillating, rotating, gyrating, or moving red, white, or blue lights. But don't quote me on that.

Sweet setup by the way.

·
Registered
636 Posts
im thinking of adding extra lighting as well, is the work very time consuming and intricate or realitivly easy? im looking for advice..

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im thinking of adding extra lighting as well, is the work very time consuming and intricate or realitivly easy? im looking for advice..
It varies on your skill level as a mechanic, electrician, and what lights you buy. Also deciding where to mount takes time.:)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So if your lights are less than 32 candle power they don't have to be DOT.
i think it all boils down to if the cop that pulls you over wants to be a dick

·
Registered
78 Posts
i think it all boils down to if the cop that pulls you over wants to be a dick
+1

If the bulbs aren't visible they don't have to be DOT.

In Canada you are only allowed to have white and amber (orange) shining out the front (recently they've started unofficially accepting yellow due to all the 3000k HID kits). You're allowed red, amber and white out the rear, and iirc red and amber out the sides.

Here's my GF's 250R with some illegal red out the front:

And some wireless remote controlled LED's:

So, if your running green, blue, etc. then your chances for a ticket are pretty high. Even if the bulbs aren't visible, you can still get a ticket because it "shines out" :(

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1

If the bulbs aren't visible they don't have to be DOT.

In Canada you are only allowed to have white and amber (orange) shining out the front (recently they've started unofficially accepting yellow due to all the 3000k HID kits). You're allowed red, amber and white out the rear, and iirc red and amber out the sides.

Here's my GF's 250R with some illegal red out the front:

And some wireless remote controlled LED's:

So, if your running green, blue, etc. then your chances for a ticket are pretty high. Even if the bulbs aren't visible, you can still get a ticket because it "shines out" :(

-Jamie M.
It looks like you used the same kit i did on the bottom pic. Same placement also. Flexible led 24" strips from Auto Zone? i Can see the reflection in the fairing of the LED's. lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
It looks like you used the same kit i did on the bottom pic. Same placement also. Flexible led 24" strips from Auto Zone? i Can see the reflection in the fairing of the LED's. lol
lol. Got flexible certified weatherproof 16" 8 watt LED strips from a local car shop called Tool Tyme. $18 each. Four strips in the engine area (one behind each red side panel, one behind each silver) and two under the tail. She might add one under the headlight to light up the front fender, and maybe a few along the bottom as well.

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thinking of more mods for my bike, Jamie? Lol they definitely turn heads especially with the 2 bros exhaust.
lol. Got flexible certified weatherproof 16" 8 watt LED strips from a local car shop called Tool Tyme. $18 each. Four strips in the engine area (one behind each red side panel, one behind each silver) and two under the tail. She might add one under the headlight to light up the front fender, and maybe a few along the bottom as well.

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Red and blue are illegal because they are emergency vehicle colors.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thinking of more mods for my bike, Jamie? Lol they definitely turn heads especially with the 2 bros exhaust.
No such thing as too many lights. Looking at the pic the front fender and underneath look a little dark ;)

More the merrier!

*hugs n kisses*

-Jamie M.
(p.s. We'll have to try the airbox mod and see if it makes your two brothers pipe even louder!!!)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rode by 2 separate parked cops in my town with my underglow on. Have yet to get pulled over for the lights. (knock on wood)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Would be interested if anyone knows the Australian regs. on this sort of lighting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would be interested if anyone knows the Australian regs. on this sort of lighting.
www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=49383

Additional lights:
A vehicle may be fitted with a light or reflector not
mentioned in the Vehicle Standards only if another
law allows that light or reflector to be fitted. Novelty
lighting, such as under vehicle fluorescent lighting
or windscreen wiper mounted LED’s do not comply.

(Rule 118).
A vehicle must not display:
A light that flashes or a light or reflector that:
(i) shows a red light to the front; or
(ii) shows a white light to the rear; or
(iii) is shaped or located in a way that reduces
the effectiveness of a light or reflector that is
required to be fitted under the standards.

It is permissible to fit additional lights such as ‘Spot
lights’ to a vehicle; however, the lights must be fitted
to the front of the vehicle. Fitment to a bumper bar
or bull bar is acceptable, but roof mounted spot
lights are illegal.

It is also an offence to use any light fitted to your
vehicle to dazzle any other road user.
That last part seems to be where most people get charged for aftermarket lights, even if you can't see the bulb/tube.

-Jamie M.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Thanks for the reply Toysareforboys, going to chat with the NSW cops to see if the same.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts