Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original stock YUASA lead acid battery (YTX7L-BS) in my 2011 CBR250R will be 10 years old this year.
It's never failed to start, but after 10 years I think it's probably prudent to replace it at the start of this riding season just for my own peace of mind.
I can get an OEM YUASA on Amazon for $50 with free shipping. The lithium ones start at about $109.
I've read all the pros and cons in the archives here, but it's been a while since there's been any new discussions about the advantages of each type. Does anyone have any new experiences they'd like to share?
While the weight advantage of lithium batteries seems to be their most important quality, I've already shed a lot of weight by replacing the stock exhaust with a carbon fiber slip-on and have removed the passenger peg mounts in favor of using a solo seat cowl, but it's not like I'm obsessive about saving every ounce possible.
On the surface it seems like a no-brainer. A $50 OEM lead acid battery vs a lithium one that's more than twice that, but I want to be sure I'm not overlooking anything since I may have whatever battery I end up with for another 10 years (hopefully.)
Are there any other significant advantages (other than saving weigh) that makes paying more than twice as much for a lithium battery a good decision and not just a waste of money?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi, I also have a 2011 bought new in 2013. Over the summer I replaced the battery and looked at the same options. I went for the OEM replacement since it served so well over the years. I've read mixed reviews of the lithium variety and figured Honda must know what they're doing with using the AGM lead acid type. Like yours my old battery never failed to crank. I replaced it because it was starting to corrode around the terminals and I took that as it was beginning to overcharge. But another 7-10 years for $50 just can't be beat!

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was amazed that my battery on my CBR250R also lasted about 9 years. Last year, I've replaced my battery with the original spec Yuasa battery.

I've actually tried out Shorai Lithium Ion battery on other bikes, but haven't had much luck with them at all. First, Lithium Ion batteries barely lasted 2-3 years from my experience. Also, I've bought a specialized trickle charger made by Shorai, but even the charger didn't last more than a few years.

Batteries are certainly much lighter when switching from lead acid to lithium Ion type. However, I don't this you'll appreciate the longevity performance of a lithium Ion battery.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your input. Every new technology has it's bugs, but the short lifespan of Lithium batteries seems to be the most common complaint. Getting 10 years out of my original YUASA is probably the best recommendation for old tech possible. Lithium batteries would have to have supernatural powers well beyond weight savings to sway me from replacing my original YUASA with another one at this point. Maybe if I had a 1000cc Fireblade, but for a CBR250R? The cost/benefit ratio just isn't there.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
14 Posts
I also have a successful experience with an original YUASA battery.
Disadvantage I found: Because of the protection circuits, the discharged lithium-ion battery is completely disabled with almost no prior notice!

The lifespan of a lithium-ion battery is shorter, maybe three years? and YES it weighs 2 times less (saving about 2lbs, about 1kg ...or PLUS).

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think lithium-ion will ever really catch on until they can find a way to lower the price.
Not when you can buy a new YUASA on Amazon for a paltry $50 with free shipping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts