Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tend to take my cbr down roads it was never really designed to travel. As a result of wash boarded caliche, gravel, and broken asphalt I've lost bolts to my passenger pegs and have lost my sprocket cover. I used blue thread locker on the passenger pegs. I need to install my new sprocket cover but I'm not sure if I should use the threadlocker or just go buy a package of locking washers. What do you all recommend?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Welp......if the blue loctite didn't hold them on, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get them tight enough with lock washers to hold them on either. The only other alternative would be nylon lock nuts, but there's no way to use them there. Those places shouldn't need any loctite at all to hold things on; I can't even imagine what roads you're speaking of that are that rough to fling them off.

Red loctite is permanent. Don't even think about that.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If it's that bad that you are losing things, I'd probably use both.

Make sure the threads (inside and out) are clean when you use Loctite or it's not going to hold.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp......if the blue loctite didn't hold them on, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to get them tight enough with lock washers to hold them on either. The only other alternative would be nylon lock nuts, but there's no way to use them there. Those places shouldn't need any loctite at all to hold things on; I can't even imagine what roads you're speaking of that are that rough to fling them off.

Red loctite is permanent. Don't even think about that.
I see I worded that poorly. The first time round the peg bolts and the cover came off there wasn't any loctite. I used the blue stuff when I installed new peg bolts.

When it comes to the sprocket cover I am not sure if the engine heat and vibrations would make one retention system better then the other.

I was surprised at the peg bolts too. I figured washboarded roads might be stressful but after the first couple of time nothing felt loose.

The cover could easily be my fault, I've changed the sprocket between stock and 13t a few times and maybe I didn't tighten them enough last time?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would try using red locktite and safety wire the bolts. Also if you know the bolts are backing out them make sure to go through every few days and re tighten them. Im more worried that the bolts and actually backing out with locktite. Riding roads like that im surprised that you dont have a dual sport!

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I would try using red locktite and safety wire the bolts. Also if you know the bolts are backing out them make sure to go through every few days and re tighten them. Im more worried that the bolts and actually backing out with locktite. Riding roads like that im surprised that you dont have a dual sport!
If he is anything like me, there is a certain challenge in trying dirt things with a street bike.

OP, whatever you do, take plenty of drinking water with you! (DAMHIK...)

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
If done properly, red Loctite will require significant heat to loosen, which can be a real problem if you wanted to remove the part eventually. Sometimes the bolt will break first if no heat (or not enough) is used.

Best to keep that for engine studs and such IMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts