Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my first bike (2013 honda cbr250r) about a month ago. Two weeks ago the fuel pump died. noticed the tank was rusted through. so dumped and cleaned it. replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the injector. Did spark plug and oil change while i had it all apart. Before i changed it all it would only start with starter fluid. plus the pump wouldn’t prime so knew it was dead. so today i got the lens injector. so i slapped it all back together. primed it a few time and it’s turned over and died after a couple seconds. had a friend show me a trick to keep it running before i changed the injector while was clogged. i could get it to stay running under if i kept it over 3k rpm. no starter fluid. so did this a few times till it stayed on at idle. you could open it up in neutral and it would fall back to idle no problem. thought i’d test it up and down the street. only issue it would die downshifting from forth to second. and turn right back over. let it sit for 20 minutes and now it’s acting the same way as it did before replacing everything. only turns over with start fluid. any suggestions. has 8k miles. (new spark, new fuel pump, new injector, new gas, new fuel filter and lines,

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,010 Posts
Hi, so far you've done a good job!(y)
Troubleshooting requires a lot of patience, especially if you're an amateur mechanic that learning the secrets of the profession while experimenting on your own engine.
Can you show us the picture of the old plug?
Your engine may be running on a lean fuel mixture. Try checking that the throttle body has a good clamped to the engine inlet. If the tightening is good, try replacing the rubber set. Old rubber may look fine, but if it leaks you will get a lean fuel mixture (too much air).
INSULATOR BAND
16217-KYJ-900
INSULATOR
16211-KYJ-901

Food Ingredient Cuisine Staple food Carmine
Tire Hood Automotive tire Tread Fender

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory

· Registered
1,010 Posts
Did you change the air filter?

· Registered
1,010 Posts
... and what plug?
,,,Did spark plug and oil change...
So I understood from you that you changed the plug, so if you have the used plug, please take a picture of it for us and upload its picture here.

And you're welcome to check what's happening in the INSULATOR area and let us know what you found there.
Thanks.

· Registered
2,213 Posts
So i bought my first bike (2013 honda cbr250r) about a month ago. Two weeks ago the fuel pump died. noticed the tank was rusted through. so dumped and cleaned it. replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and the injector. Did spark plug and oil change while i had it all apart. Before i changed it all it would only start with starter fluid. plus the pump wouldn’t prime so knew it was dead. so today i got the lens injector. so i slapped it all back together. primed it a few time and it’s turned over and died after a couple seconds. had a friend show me a trick to keep it running before i changed the injector while was clogged. i could get it to stay running under if i kept it over 3k rpm. no starter fluid. so did this a few times till it stayed on at idle. you could open it up in neutral and it would fall back to idle no problem. thought i’d test it up and down the street. only issue it would die downshifting from forth to second. and turn right back over. let it sit for 20 minutes and now it’s acting the same way as it did before replacing everything. only turns over with start fluid. any suggestions. has 8k miles. (new spark, new fuel pump, new injector, new gas, new fuel filter and lines,
By saying "won't turn over" you mean cranks but doesn't start - correct?

The new fuel pump is the first thing that comes to mind.

Was it an OEM or aftermarket pump? Many of the aftermarket pumps will flow, but not provide adequate pressure to keep the engine running.

Another thing to confirm is adequate battery voltage. Before starting, you should have over 12.7V. If you don't, charge the battery and see if anything changes.

To really know if the battery is bad, you need to test under load. The easiest way is during cranking. A battery that reads over 12.7V before starting should still hold over 10V during cranking. If it's less, the battery is bad.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i don’t have the old plug but it was basically trashed. the intake area seems fine and wasn’t a problem before. last night i got the bike running and was about to actually get it moving ran through 4th gear about 3 miles on the highway so the fuel pump seems to be fine. it’s just now it doesn’t seem to want to crank and run without starter fluid then dies if i do keep spraying it. so it obviously something with the gas system?

· Registered
1,010 Posts
running under if i kept it over 3k rpm. no starter fluid. so did this a few times till it stayed on at idle.
Look
If all your problem is with a cold engine, with a cold start, and all the systems are fine, that's why I suggested that your problem is with the insulator.
...the intake area seems fine and wasn’t a problem before.... it’s just now it doesn’t seem to want to crank and run without starter fluid then dies if i don't keep spraying it. so it obviously something with the gas system?
But after the engine warms up it has no problem working smoothly at idle rpm and more.

To your question, YES, a lean fuel mixture due to an air leak from the INSULATOR,
this is a problem "with the gas system" (lean mixture).

You claim that: "...the intake area seems fine and wasn’t a problem before."
But if you have air leak from the insulator, it's not a leak that you can see with your eye.
When a lean mixture is suspected, the suspicion falls on an air leak in the intake manifold, and one of the common causes of this is the same sealing rubber that dries out and begins to leak air from it.

Replacing the INSULATOR set (Rubber and Clamp), is the next thing I recommend you to do, and it's not one of the most expensive, but it takes a relatively long time to work on.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i’ll definitely check it out. i’m taking the air box off tomorrow and will give it a good looking as well. i had a friend say that cause when i bought the bike the guy before had cut the exhaust off and i replaced it with a crappy old one he had until i got the original bought again. he said it could be that as well. i did take the injector line off the injector and it wasn’t getting much gas through it. but when you take it off tank side it was doing great. cut the gas line to find there was some build up from the fuel filter being bad. the oem fuel pump bag was nowhere to be found in the tank. don’t know if he removed it or what happened there. so other than the insulator i’ll see if it cranks in the morning. would i need to get parts directly from honda for that or would a different site work?

· Registered
1,010 Posts
I'd still check it.

Low battery voltage can cause some of the issues you described.
YES.
Yes because testing the battery in the charging system are so simple and so basic. A new battery may also arrive damaged, or it can be destroyed by improper charging... so check it.
Static test: 12.7 volts at least.
Test under load of the starter: 10 volts at least.
Test with engine running at idle rpm: 13.9 volts.
Test at 5000 rpm: 14.2 volts, and no more than 15.5 volts.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory and jkv357

· Registered
1,010 Posts
i’m taking the air box off tomorrow and will give it a good looking as well
It won't help to observe, most of the investment is in the work of dismantling, I suggest that you will order the two parts and replace them. The rubber may look perfectly fine, but it can not function properly and you can't see it with your eyes (there are only symptoms of a lean mixture...etc).

And as far as basic tests are concerned,
you are sure that you mounted the oil filter in the right direction?
Because in the opposite direction it completely blocks the passage of oil, and this can also explain a problem with starting, and it also causes fatal damage to the engine. Are you sure the oil filter was installed in the right direction?

Reactions: Mory

· Registered
1,010 Posts
i bought the bike the guy before had cut the exhaust off and i replaced it with a crappy old one he had until i got the original bought again. he said it could be that as well.
There could be a problem with the original exhaust, because the original has build in catalytic converter , and if the converter is clogged it causes a drop in power. However, a drop in power does not create a problem from the kind of difficulty in cold starting. Therefore the non-original exhaust that you currently have in my opinion is currently not your problem .
i need to get parts directly from honda for that or would a different site work?
There is a large selection of internet stores, do a price comparison, you need to take into account the shipping costs, and you will see which deal suits you the best. In online stores you can get really good prices, but the delivery time is usually long. On the other hand, even a local Honda dealer does not have all the stock available under his hand, and even there there may be delays due to delivery time.
Buying parts is a skill that needs to be learned, it's part of the DIY hobby.

· Registered
1,010 Posts
. i did take the injector line off the injector and it wasn’t getting much gas through it. but when you take it off tank side it was doing great. cut the gas line to find there was some build up from the fuel filter being bad. the oem fuel pump bag was nowhere to be found in the tank.
I don't know what you did in the test with the fuel pipe, I'm just saying that with an incorrect test you can reach incorrect conclusions.

And if the fuel gauge level is not connected to the pump unit, it will not interfere with the engine working properly. But this means that the fuel gauge on the dashboard should be flashing because it is not connected.

At the beginning of your post, you claimed that you replaced the entire fuel system, and that the engine has no difficulty working at 3000 rpm and then settling at idle rpm, so I currently do not think you have a problem with the fuel delivery system, I just added that a lean mixture is usually caused by a sealing problem in the intake manifold.

Do you have the technical literature for the motorcycle?
Of course I don't know you, so maybe my comments are unnecessary, I ask for your forgiveness in advance.
If you're going to get into the depth of things, you have to open books and start reading and learning, a forum can give you assistance, videos on YouTube can give you assistance, and the advice you will find ther is not always correct, and those advice is not a substitute for proper study, let's say: Study in a course for mechanics. There is so much to learn and know, and those who do not know also expose themselves to great DANGERS.
in your case I would suggest you to be very careful when working with fuel, it may ignite without any warning and the results may be very severe:eek:💥🔥

If I may ask?
What is your previous experience handling motorcycle engines?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
okay so long story short. battery was charged over night to just under 13. I thought manly because it seemed like a gas problem that i undid the fuel lines to the injector and basically ran it all outside the bike. so when you try starting it. with no injector in the line it just dumped gas. like dumps almost a cup in 5 seconds. which seems about right based on my friends bike we test the same thing on. but when i put the injector into the line. it’s no spraying at all. seems more of a leak. i get that it could be pressure isn’t strong enough from pump to keep it going but on his bike with stock the injector also doesn’t spray. could be faulty. i got two in the mail when i ordered. i’ll test the second one once the battery has properly been cycled and at full charge again. then i’ll jump to the air box and intake to check all of that while ordering the parts i’ve been told so far.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i also have no prior experience working with motorcycle engines. but i’ve built a few car engines and all that. so i’m no stranger to the frustration of having no clue what the next issue is when you figure one out. another pops up. also. there is two lines that from from the tank. from what i’ve read on the manual one is vapor valve that just runs down to the bottom near the stand. and the other is vacuum?? or so it says online. question is. i’ve never seen a vacuum line that has gas in it or every time you more the tank it starts pouring gas. is this correct and if so could the vacuum line be clogged in whatever the item is that it runs too.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
when i follow the line it goes down into this cylinder shaped part then straight up into the up arrow part in the third picture then past injector into the block past throttle body. what is this. should there be gas as i haven’t found it in the manual nor googling the part number
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Rim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts