Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what to get yet. I want a late 80's to mid 90's sport bike with a 4 cylinder. My max budget is about $1300 (over the next month or so) but currently I have $700 cash.

I was considering a CBR600F or F2 but then I found a Hurricane for $900, however I'm worried that a 500lb bike will be too heavy for me to control. I'd also consider Suzuki or Kawasaki variants but I really only know about the Honda's so that's why I'm here for some opinions. I just want one for the occasional weekend escapade. I love my 250 because it's so lightweight and easy to handle but a 2nd bike in the 600+ range would be fun for every once in a while.

Unless I find some K04 turbo's for my S4 before that point... If I find some blown turbo's to repair for $200 then I'm going to have to go for that.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear that older ninjas are good idea if you can find one.
I've looked into them a bit. One thing I don't know is if they are 2 or 4 cylinders.

Also Wikipedia's info on them seems conflicting. Is there a Ninja 600r from the early 90's?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Going to check out a 1994 Suzuki RF900R for $700 with 21,000 miles

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Early 90's FZR600 's are a great lightweight little 4cyl bike, perform well and dirt cheap too.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well I'm going to go this weekend to look at that Suzuki. I'll be bringing the bike trailer just in case =) I do have pictures and the plastics are mostly cracked, but it's a steel frame bike so the frame should be ok and he said he took it down the road so if it's rideable then I'm ok with a restoration project for such a sweet bike.

I literally am looking up hitches for my S4.... $158 for a Class 1 that could pull my trailer just fine haha. Yes, I know I have a Jeep but it's a gas hog, less comfortable, no AC, needs some work, and doesn't even have a hitch lol.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^post pics if you get it!! Sweet little bike. I'm considering moving up to a 600rr, previously owned. My concern is, these bikes tend to be thrashed so I'm hesitant on buying used and i'm not a gear head:rolleyes:

Know what you mean with the jeap, sucks the gas, and no a/c unless the top is down.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^post pics if you get it!! Sweet little bike. I'm considering moving up to a 600rr, previously owned. My concern is, these bikes tend to be thrashed so I'm hesitant on buying used and i'm not a gear head:rolleyes:

Know what you mean with the jeap, sucks the gas, and no a/c unless the top is down.
Will do. Ya, I already know this thing needs 2nd gear replaced. With the gear input and output gear for 2nd and the selector fork it's about $200 that I'll have to do right away. Then another who knows how much in checking the frame and powder coating it and then replacing some fairings. But hey, it's $700 I can put a little elbow grease into it!

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Absolutely. The 600rr i'm looking at is a 2007 @ $6000. New they go for $14000 here in Canada. Huge difference. Have fun and keep us posted

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pictures the guy emailed me.

Hopefully I'll be able to restore it to it's former self

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Things are looking better and better. He's going to have the shifter fixed for me before I pick it up and even has a bid out on some new turn signals for it lol. I think I'm getting a pretty good deal.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
+1. Like it too. Like the full fairings. Looks like the seller wants you as the new home for his bike:D:D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm all antsy to go pick it up... this is taking too long haha.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)

and after 6-7 hours it now looks like this and runs, it would drive too except the throttle sticks and I'm not about to jump on a 936cc bike with the throttle stuck!! That and the shifter pedal bracket is broken.

The guy emailed me before I picked it up that he was going down to $600 because it wouldn't crank this morning. Couple taps on the starter and I fixed that! But it still wouldn't start until I got it to the shop.

Dumb video?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
WOW! Nice project on the go:D Looks like the poor bike sat outside for some time. I'm definately looking forward to ur updates on your progress:D

1 - 20 of 59 Posts