Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crossposting this from what I posted on another forum -- figured I could get some input here as a decent number of you fine folks have experience with other motos. Besides, it'll be a good reason for you to up post counts :p

I found a good deal on a fully farkled used 2006 Multistrada in December, purchasing it for some touring from time to time, but with the ability to treat it like a sport when I take off the luggage. Even after fixing and dialing in the suspension (took me a while to realize it was messed up that bad as I attributed it to getting used to a new bike), sticking on a Laminar touring windscreen, and a set of higher handlebars to solve the "slouch" with the prior low handlebars, I'm not sure I'm meshing with the bike. The Laminar windscreen plus lip fixes the airflow issues at higher speeds, but kinda makes the bike look even more ugly duckling than it was stock. The Multi has been ported, tuned, and otherwise modified so it does put out a decent bit over 100 HP and 100 ft-lb torque, as a reference. More than I'd ever really need, frankly.

So before I head off on a 3-4,000 mile trip this summer and dump the money on a full service and clutch pack, I'd like to see if there might be anything else out there that'd suit my needs better. I already have a 250cc daily driver that's spoiled me on agility and mileage, though I'm not exactly fixed on good mileage on the possible Multi replacement.

So I guess something with a decent enough torque to get me and luggage around (sometimes 2-up with luggae) and with a decent bit of agility. If I wind up camping, my luggage can get a bit heavy. Naked or faired, I don't care so long as it has smooth or even airflow. After riding a standard for longer distances and comparing it to the slight lean of my CBR250, I prefer the slight forward lean at speed or a streetfighter-like setup. I'm also not really looking for a big supersport tourer like a ST1300 or VFR or a dedicated touring bike like a Goldwing -- basically something that I can take the bags off and treat it as a sport/streetfighter, and every so often pop the luggage on and do several light/medium touring days.

I've done some research, and candidates seem to be a CB1000R, FZ-1, FZ-8, or Z1000. Maybe a Ninja 1000. Most seem a bit overkill, but I dunno if a twin like in a Ninja 650 would have enough guts for 2 up plus luggage. Perhaps a F800ST or F800R, but I'm a bit leery on long term service costs and access to dealerships. The NT700V seems a touch overpriced for what you get, and the NC700X is a bit underpowered I'd think (and it doesn't look well for 2-up). Newer Ducati's just seem really freaking expensive.

Anyway, lot of text, sorry about that. Anyone have any input? Aside from my friend with a FZ8 (brand new 2011 for $7k; less than a used 2011 locally), everyone else I know has pure supersports are Harleys and I missed the demo days, so I don't have any saddle time with the above bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion, sendler. Been flipping around on bike choices, and I kinda wish there was something a bit more than Ninja 650 in a Japanese make besides the FZ-8, yet not as big as a liter bike.

Right now I'm putzing between the FZ-1, GSX1250FA, and Ninja 1000. The Ninja 650 might be worthwhile, too, if I don't feel it's too cramped for 2-up plus luggage (need to try one in person). From reviews, the Ninja 1000 looks to be squarely what I want. But the Ninja 1000 seems to be in the supersport category when it comes to insurance. The FZ-1 and GSX run me about $800/yr for full coverage, low deductibles with medical and towing, and high liability. That same coverage on the Ninja 1000 runs $2000-$2200/yr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts