Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost my original and spare key.

What do i do? I called my dealer and they said call a locksmith, but they usually dont know what they are doing i have had ALOT of problems with them.

Do i need to show my bike to a locksmith and get a new lockset??

please help

cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I didnt write that down :'( I DIDNT KNOW WHAT IT WAS...no one told me... i thought it was just a random piece of metal..i feel so stupid, its my first bike ever...

Is that gameover for me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
You'll have to take the ignition to someone who can make a key or install a new ignition with new keys i'd figure. Check with your Honda Powerstore service dept. My dad had this problem with an old Yamaha, and I think he said it'd cost him like $70 to get it taken care of.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Call the dealership that sold you the bike.
They might have your key# on record.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Your dealer will easily supply a new key.

Everyone else go get one cut and cable tie it on somewhere.. tis the first thing to do to a new bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
omg my dealer is HOPELESS.......i hate them so much..they got my name wrong and the bike colour wrong when i went to pick up the bike....i swear to god....thanks for the advice everyone..im goin to call other honda dealers

·
Registered
999 Posts
Your key# should be on the sales record. A different dealer isn't going to have that info and I don't know if they can get it off the vin# of the bike.
Start with the dealership that sold you the bike. Doesn't matter if they suck. They'll be the ones with the key#

Another slight possibility: Do you have all the paperwork that came with the bike? There's a slight chance that it's written somewhere there as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i called my dealer about 4-5 times and everytime they said, they dont have anything and i need to get a locksmith or replace the whole lockset!! i hate my dealer.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Carelessness and motorcycling do not go together for long.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Well ****. That sucks. I guess they're one of those dealers that only care up to but not past the point of sale. I'm afraid this trend is starting to take root in a lot of shops these days.
Fortunately there are locksmiths that will come to you that can make a key for a house or car/bike just from studying the lock.
I don't know what they cost but it would probably be better than replacing the bike's ignition switch and seat lock.

Just make sure to have a couple made and keep one or two locked away. Lose one and get a copy made from the other asap.

·
Registered
879 Posts
WOW not good. Maybe you will get lucky and find one of the keys. I would keep looking got to be someware. Let us know how it turned out

·
Registered
319 Posts
Call honda direct and ask them

your dealer is F888EN hopeless

·
745 Posts
This isn't your dealer's fault. The only thing that he might be "guilty" of is not stressing to you the importance of not losing all of the keys to your motorcycle. In reality, you should have know this already. If you lose all of the keys to your house, would you expect the realtor that sold it to you to remedy the problem?

First thing I did when I bought my bike was have two spares made. One is locked up in the safe at home, the other is always with me so that if the ignition key goes missing I can get home.

Chalk this up to experience. If it was me, I'd order a new lockset and strat over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unless something has changed recently at Honda, you should be able to get your key number off of the ignition switch barrel. It may require complete removal to find the number. That number may also be on the seat lock?

Honda was coding their switches in this way in the 70's (CB550s) thru 2003 (Valks) from my personal experience.

Now, if I was really smart, I would post a link to an alarm/disabling device that benefits my kids! ~Jeff

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well ****. That sucks. I guess they're one of those dealers that only care up to but not past the point of sale. I'm afraid this trend is starting to take root in a lot of shops these days.
Fortunately there are locksmiths that will come to you that can make a key for a house or car/bike just from studying the lock.
I don't know what they cost but it would probably be better than replacing the bike's ignition switch and seat lock.

Just make sure to have a couple made and keep one or two locked away. Lose one and get a copy made from the other asap.
It does chew; the dealer really ought to be able to help unless their records are a mess. My dealer never sent me the set-up paperwork; it wasn't ready when I got the bike. Yeah, service is getting pretty poor all around. No enough competition at least here in Northern California; a high cost of doing business means fewer people....doing business. You see it with more than just motorcycles.

·
Registered
576 Posts
good thread,sorry to hear you lost your keys.
i have my spare hanging on a key rack in the kitchen,never lost
my keys but writing the key numbers down right now and filing
just incase:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts