Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, like a dumb *** I lost my original key. I have a spare key fortunately. So here is my question. Do I need to have the dealer copy my spare key? Or could I take it to a place that can copy house keys and such? Idk if our keys have a chip inside them that requires the dealer to get involved. Does anyone know?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
In the USA, Honda does not use their Ignition Security System. You can have the key copied by any place that has the proper sized key blank. You do not need a Honda blank or a chip in the blank.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just go to a locksmith (an actual locksmith will have all the blanks, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, ect won't have motorcycle blanks) and have the key copied. Don't bother with the dealer. I had 4 copies made for under $10.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just go to a locksmith (an actual locksmith will have all the blanks, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, ect won't have motorcycle blanks) and have the key copied. Don't bother with the dealer. I had 4 copies made for under $10.
Make sure you shop around.... Lock smiths here(or at least all the ones i found) take one look at the key and say its $30 -.-, my next question to them is even if it is not a chipped key... their response is a big YES with their hand held out.
-Needless to say I walked out on him

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Since a lot of places like Lowes and Home Depot don't carry the correct key blanks for motorcycles, another option would be to buy/order the OEM Honda key blank (about $10 MSRP at a dealer, $7 online), and then take it along with your original key to a hardware store that cuts keys. As isaacm12 said, many locksmiths are not afraid to charge an arm and a leg for their services.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ace made me a coupla spares...perfect...seemsit's the blank some of their cars use...

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ace had some for MC's, and one that would work but their main key cutting guy was out and the other guy didn't trust his skills on the machine.. You could imagine how quick I was like "Oh yeah I'll do that another day". lol

But yeah its pretty cheap and not all places will have it. MotoMikes advice about buying the blank online is a great idea IMO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since a lot of places like Lowes and Home Depot don't carry the correct key blanks for motorcycles, another option would be to buy/order the OEM Honda key blank (about $10 MSRP at a dealer, $7 online), and then take it along with your original key to a hardware store that cuts keys. As isaacm12 said, many locksmiths are not afraid to charge an arm and a leg for their services.
Which website are you referring to? I'd like to order some OEM Honda blanks if I could.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered 3 blanks from partzilla and some brake pads to take advantage of their shipping costs. Thanks again Motomike for the help!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
similar in aust.. locksmith..
mall key cutters unlikely to have strong
motorcycle blanks.. my locksmith [randwick]
cut spares on good strong blanks identical to
original for $8 a piece..

one lives in a convenient space at rear rim
of my helmet, pushed up into liner foam
beneath rear neck padding.. cant come out..
as helmet stays with me when out
that spare key is always there :)

[my other name is 'memory boy'
altho i forget why that is]

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Can i use any honda blank Key? Like the cbr1000 with the Nice honda logo no the 250?
It don't think it would work, the CBR1000RR uses a completely different key blank. It also costs a lot more... MSRP is almost $43 for that key blank with the Honda logo.

·
Registered
532 Posts
In the USA, Honda does not use their Ignition Security System. You can have the key copied by any place that has the proper sized key blank. You do not need a Honda blank or a chip in the blank.
Interesting I wonder if Canada is the same. The CBR650F has HISS (or whatever it is called), but when playing around with the cluster I don't recall seeing the HISS light options mentioned in the manual.

Any ideas why they do this? I know an immobilizer on a bike isn't quite the same as a car (bike is slightly easier for thieves to pick up off the ground lol), but if a bike has that feature why not turn it on?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
It has to do with the Magnuson-Moss Act, I think. If Honda can't insist that the work (such as re-keying) be done in their shop, they do not want to install HISS. In Europe and Asia HISS helps reduce motorcycle theft.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
170 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
I bought some key-blanks from AliExpress for U$3/ea (pre-tariff). Walked over to Chinatown in SF for lunch and has keys cut for U$1/ea! He was good too! Made sure to cut from shoulder down in case length was slghtly different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts