Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello CBR Fans! Been riding Hondas for longer than I care to admit. Current stable starts with a pair of ST90's, through to an RC51 with a VFR800/CBR400RR/VFR400/NT650/CH150D in between (and a couple others).

I've always been a fan of the 1/4 liter and small stuff. Started my street life on a 1990 VTR250 that I bought new, and have regretted selling ever since I did. Racked up 11,000 miles the first year I owned her. Dropped her once early on, and learned how to ride safely with a good group of friends that always thought she was a 600 (bodywork fooled some I guess). Sure, they called it the Barbie bike after I'd out-corner them on the way up one of the local mountain passes, but I loved that bike.

I was *hoping* the new 250 would be a V-twin, for that reason. To be honest, was a touch disappointed when I learned it was a thumper. I have a thing for revvy engines and wasn't sure this will be it.

So, I've signed up here to learn more. Yes, I have another motive too, but that is secondary to deciding whether a 250R needs to live in my stable (and not the classic 250R with 3 wheels - had one of those - my brother has it now - and that's a fun ride as well!).

My most enjoyable ride, at the moment, below.

Bill aka WW

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome Bill. Being a new rider myself I can only comment on the new CBR..love it. Really like that this forum has both new and veteran riders. I've picked up some great info from those that have been riding a while.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gang! Had actually been putting off finding a 250 forum for fear I'd convince myself to buy one! I mean, do I really *need* another bike :D

WW

·
Registered
172 Posts
Welcome! I cruise your website a lot getting ideas for stuff for my CBR.

Please keep in mind that a lot of us are new to the world of motorcycles and our new CBR 250's too; so bare with us.

·
Registered
269 Posts
you can't go wrong with an all honda stable hehe. i like my little 250, i wasn't able to keep up with the bigger bikes in the sweepers but it holds its own in the tighter stuff

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a client (contact) that is a long time rider - has spent a bunch of time on the track on big bikes (r1 and the sort). He is now riding what he calls his *razorblade*. Yep, a 250R. Like most of you he's looking for some performance upgrades, but loves the bike as is. In fact, conversations with him are why I'm here. I'm sure somebody will have a decent exhaust and even a big bore kit before long ;)

WW

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The baby-blade is an awesome ride - one of the best I've ever owned. Will *probably* sell her in the spring. Need to get the jetting dialed in still since de-restricting and adding the RPMDual exhaust. She really screams though. Sound is perfect, exhaust is lighter than stock, and the power bump is significant. I might put a Tyga body kit on her too, haven't decided yet.

WW

·
Registered
879 Posts
Its a fun little bike to ride. I got the bike for my wife but sneak it out every chance I get. I also have a yamaha FZ6R and a yamaha FJR1300.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
...and there you have it, folks. Pick up my CBR250R tomorrow. I'll be posting pics Saturday with some of our bits on it - sprocket, some carbon, and a few other secret bits as they come along!

WW

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK - I made it home! She has 1022 miles on her right now, and I bought her VERY right :D

I think first up should be a carbon hugger, tank cover and fender...wait, probably a bath first...but watch for updates in a build log somewhere soon! I have a sprocket or two here as well...and yes she could use +2 in the back for starters. Let me see what I can manage this weekend.

(excuse the quality-challenged iPhone pics please)

Alright...after work decided to give the CBR 30 minutes of love...and this is what happened:

(easiest to pivot the left rearset out of the way for hugger install)

Going to go for a spirited ride now, wash her in the morning...and then see what else I might come up with ;)

WW

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd sure love to hear more on how to get one of those cbr400rr's here in the states... mostly about how to get one registered!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
They are rare - few and far between. Mine will be for sale soon! Just received the titanium needles to finish the jetting!

WW

(more Tyga items on their way onto my CBR250R pictured below)

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
SAAWEET bike. I'm wipeing the drool off my face! Of course you want a 250...everyone who's anyone owns or is buying one lol:D One could never have enough bikes in their stable. One for everyday of the week and every mood.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK - couple of things got done today. I failed to take pics (dead phone) but the test ride was certainly worth it.

If you're after a bit more sporting riding position, the addition of rearsets and bars makes a nice, comfortable change. I mounted a billet top clamp, fork spring adjusters, lower bars and a few other Tyga bits today, along with rearsets and went for a spin.

I have to be honest. I find the little 250 a bit wimpy, but this makes it more fun. I'm still after some power and a gearing change - and will get on that soon. But if you want to change the ergo's as well as the aesthetics - the list above is a nice change.

Will spin around Tahoe tomorrow on the VFR800, then grab the 250 and bring her home for a bath. Pics afterwards if all works out.

Bill aka WW

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im guessing you went with the tyga rear sets? Im curious on how you like them in the twisties? I have already been dragging stock pegs and im debating on the tyga rear sets or the yoshimura bracket that moves the stock rear set up

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Obviously you'd think I was a bit biased - but the fact is the rearsets are perfect. The combination of rearsets and Tyga handlebars makes the bike just enough more sporting to be fun, but not uncomfortable at all. For reference, I'm a short stack - 5'6" on a good day.

WW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts