Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am at 1450 miles as I type. My bike no matter what I do gets 60-63 mpg. From what I have read this is the low end of the MPG scale. I still feel its awesome for the performance, this is a high revving little 250 and I am more than thrilled with the MPG. Just wondering if anyone else gets as low as me and if anyone falls under 60mpg on a consistent basis. This is for normal riding.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm currently averaging 72-74mpg. I have just under 1000 miles (and finally got around to the first service today).

I do nothing at all to enhance my mpg... If anything I ride it paradoxically to the 'eco-route' philosophy... fast starts, quick up-shifts, engine braking, very hard initial break-in, and I rarely coast.

If anyone's interested, I track it with a program called Fuel Log (Android and iPhone friendly), and it's worth the tiny premium to go to the Pro version... (no, I'm not the author, and have no affiliation).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I weigh 225..and the lowest ive ever gotten was high 50ish..that was like my 2nd or 3rd tank after running the dragons tail in 3rd gear high revs.....since then (5350 miles) i have dipped into the high 60's a couple times..that was all interstate almost wide open throttle for an hour n half..other than that..i average around 73 miles per gallon at www.fuelly.com...have gotten as high as 85 mpg a couple times...between 4k and 5k rpms seems to be the sweet spot..no matter what gear your in...stay there a whole tank and you have to get 85 miles per gallon...

..of course if you ride wide open all the time..ur average will go no where but down....i dont baby my cbr by any means..i cant help but lay the whip to it when pulling out and accelerating...by 5th gear ive calmed down and fall into my smooth riding groove

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Normal riding gets me 49mpg, best is 59mpg when I was riding like a turtle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I get about 200 miles to a tank give or take and I redline the ish out of my bike and go uphill with wot. Haha. 91 oct and I mean I wish I got more out of each gallon but Im not really complaining.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I managed to crack 72 mpg! Finally did it.
Since the weather is warmer I have been riding on the freeways more and paying off highly. I'm no longer in the low mpg club.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
with enough of you guys keeping tabs on mileage i can rest easy knowing i'm getting good mileage while riding mine like i stole it!! this bike is awesome enough to be worth every penny in fuel i spend! 1500 kms in my first month.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Riding around 50mph & getting 84-86mpg consistently; once we were really insane to check the FE & rode at 50mph for over 215 miles, FE was freaking 108mpg!!!

Least I got was 56mpg & that was with T.W.O ride

BTW, its 13800+ miles on ODO

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am at 1450 miles as I type. My bike no matter what I do gets 60-63 mpg. From what I have read this is the low end of the MPG scale. I still feel its awesome for the performance, this is a high revving little 250 and I am more than thrilled with the MPG. Just wondering if anyone else gets as low as me and if anyone falls under 60mpg on a consistent basis. This is for normal riding.
Best tank to date, 85 MPG. Worst tank with a passenger and keeping the RPMs near redline, 66.4. I'm approaching 3K miles.

Are you trying to get better MPG?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Best tank to date, 85 MPG. Worst tank with a passenger and keeping the RPMs near redline, 66.4. I'm approaching 3K miles.

Are you trying to get better MPG?
Yes. My car a 2011 Mazda3 is a gashog getting 21/22 city hwy. OH the pain filling it up.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Constantly getting b/w 55 & 59mpg best i've gotten was 63...:confused:
90% of riding is b/w 55-70 mph for about 11-12 straight miles on the highway back & forth to work. shifting b/w 5 & 7k

Only use b/w 1.75 & 2.5 gallons when i fill it up once a week.

Still better than 17mpg (on a good day) on my truck with a 30gal. tank...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Give this thread a read and check out user name "Sendler" link he posted. That should help get MPGs up.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/honda-cbr250-general-discussion/3921-got-85-mpg-past-tank.html

A quick note: To help with MPGs, get to 6th gear quickly. Somewhere around 35 MPH, in 6th. I like to keep RPMs around 3-5K. Coast to lights, with the clutch pulled. When you use your brake, you're wasting MPGs. Let the bike coast with the clutch pulled as often as you can. Keep speeds 70 or under.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
If you don't tuck on the highway, your MPGs will suck.

Most of the time I don't feel like tucking, so I don't. It's not comfortable for me on longer trips.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I ride it hard and get about 60.
I feel the same way too, I commute every day to work, I hop on the highway and open that baby up.

Im talking wide open… for miles.. probably like 20 or so, at about 9K 9.5.

I feel like im beating the hell out of my bike some times, then I get sad and have to slow down… I love my bike.

But yep, sometime i feel like im killing my MPG. I got stock exhaust too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I ride approximately 60 miles a day and average 60 - 63 mpg. I'm on her 73 - 80 mph all the way and tuck 50% of the time. My girl feels and sounds so much smoother when we get off the Hwy. It's to bad when I do exit, I'm usually 1 mile from home so theres not much riding left unless I just drive around. It seems the more you ask of these bikes, the more they try to give!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts