Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the user manual says the low fuel blink starts at something like .37 gallons, don't quote me on that. I've noticed that mine must be way off. First time I filled up when it started blinking it only took about 2.5 gallons to fill. Second time I rode it out a little longer and it took around 2.8 to fill. This time i rode on the blinking light for FOUR days checking to make sure there was indeed gas in the tank. I finally filled yesterday and it took just under 3 gallons.

Anyone else notice their fuel gauge playing it way safe with that low fuel blinky bar?

·
Registered
706 Posts
The fuel gauges suck. Mine started out telling me it was empty at 1.9 gallons. I ran it more empty a few times and now it starts flashing at 2.2. But it doesn't really bother me, I like the feeling knowing that when it says empty I realistically have like 75 more miles I can go hahaha.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I noticed that from the beginning as well. I hate that because I always feel my truck when it's a quarter left, I hate being anywhere near E. So this little bar thing they use really sucks, goes to 1 bar way too soon.

·
Registered
400 Posts
everytime i fill up its after the last bar starts blinking,when its not solid anymore,usually takes 2.3 gal to refill

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
mine started blinking...2 miles later i pulled in at an exxon..it took exactly 2.75 gallons to fill all the way up...since the tank holds just over 3.4 gallons, its off by at least 1/2 gallon....at least you know you will most likely have enough gas to get to another gas station after it starts blinking..

·
Registered
681 Posts
I was barely able to put 2 gallons in after mine started blinking. It's not a big deal since I tend to fill it up once a week regardless of what the gague says.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I was barely able to put 2 gallons in after mine started blinking. It's not a big deal since I tend to fill it up once a week regardless of what the gague says.
It's so good on gas that I just don't worry about it. I fill it whenever is convenient lmao. Typically once a week as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't particularly care for the bar gauge, either, but as pointed out the bike gets such good gas mileage that I don't obsess over it. Like a lot of other owners, my 6th bar indicating full rarely comes on (and if it does, it doesn't stay on long) even when I fill the tank almost to the bottom of the cap. With a 200+ mile range, I don't worry about when the low level bar starts to blink either. I fill the tank when it's convenient, usually once a week. These are tiny trade-offs to getting three times more mileage out of the bike than my other vehicles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've only filled mine up twice so far, both time the last bar was blinking and both times i put in almost exactly two gallons in. Even going with fairly conservative 50 mpg, that's still 70 miles left of riding given a 3.4 gal tank. I'm just going to reset my trip odo every time I fill up and refill every 160 mi or so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
When you all fill up, how do you know its full?

Does the pump actually auto-shut off, or do you all wait untill you can see it to the bottom of the cap line?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've only filled mine up twice so far, both time the last bar was blinking and both times i put in almost exactly two gallons in. Even going with fairly conservative 50 mpg, that's still 70 miles left of riding given a 3.4 gal tank. I'm just going to reset my trip odo every time I fill up and refill every 160 mi or so.
To me it's the opposite. While it's not accurate, I prefer having the gauge to not having it and having to use the tripmeter method. On longer trips away from cities, a 70 mile reserve after the blinking starts sounds like a nice cushion to have.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I just filled mine up for the second time yesterday afternoon. I actually got all 6 bars this time on the fuel gauge. I was just short of 67 mpg but I'm sure I ended up with a fuller tank than last time so that number is probably a little lower than what I had in reality.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Just filled up: it took 12 litres (filled to the cap)while last bar was blinking for about 10km.
So 1,5 litres of blink blink seems accurate enough to me.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I noticed also, the gage is non-linear and reads quite conservatively. In my GIVI box I carry 350ml of gas in a camping fuel bottle, so I'll run it dry one time to see how far I can get on a tank; then report back

·
Registered
221 Posts
Filled mine up just yesterday and juts barely got 2.5 gal in. Capacity is 3.43 gal, so 1 light blink blink = ~1.5 gal. So I guess we will have like 100 miles when it starts to blink?

Does eveyone hold there bike strait up when filling or on the kickstand like I do?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Rick; good plan can't wait to see the results.

Pgkool; I personally fill while sitting on the bike holding it straight up. Let's you get the most in there AFAIK.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts