Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On hitting the front brakes at low speed and just before the bike comes to a halt there is juddering. My bike is the ABS model, is this common for bikes with ABS? Is this something that needs to be checked?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
ABS works by the pistons grabbing and releasing repeatedly extremely fast every second...sounds like this might explain the juddering at low speed your experiencing...I
think it's normal but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask someone in the service dept where you bought the bike from to get their opinion.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
ABS works by the pistons grabbing and releasing repeatedly extremely fast every second...sounds like this might explain the juddering at low speed your experiencing...I
think it's normal but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask someone in the service dept where you bought the bike from to get their opinion.
ABS should never normally activate unless the wheel is slipping.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ya like others have mentioned, if it's the ABS engaging then that is not normal. The ABS should only do something if the sensors are reading different speeds from the front wheel and the rear wheel. It's not terribly uncommon for ABS tone ring to get damaged or a wheel speed sensor to go bad. Now this isn't something I've seen happen on these bikes but the principal is the same on all ABS equipped cars or bikes. Take a visual look at the little wheel like thing by the brake rotors (tone ring). Make sure it's straight and all the little lines on it are straight as well.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Also, ABS wont work below a certain speed on some systems, Check the manual and see if thats the case with the cbr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This morning I took my bike out for a spin and did not experience any judder. I think I need to check to make sure everything is alright to make sure everything works in an emergency.

·
Registered
44 Posts
haah my car does this, havent had it checked out. (car also has abs but like said, abs shouldnt be doing anything unless slamming on brakes (to stop it from skidding))

·
Registered
999 Posts
If the road surface is very uneven, lots of bumps, ripples, etc.., anything that can make the front or rear bounce around, it can make ABS do erratic things.

It's still worth having it checked out. If for nothing else, peace of mind.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the road surface is very uneven, lots of bumps, ripples, etc.., anything that can make the front or rear bounce around, it can make ABS do erratic things.

It's still worth having it checked out. If for nothing else, peace of mind.
The surface was even and after the 2 times I experienced it, there has been no repeat. I have written to Honda Motorcycles in india, let us see hat they have to say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The surface was even and after the 2 times I experienced it, there has been no repeat. I have written to Honda Motorcycles in india, let us see hat they have to say.

Honda India called and asked me to hand over my CBR250R to a dealer of theirs in Chennai, India. The bike was returned this evening, I was told that they had to clean the brake pads in the front. I am told that there were small pieces of stones (very small more so like grains of sand) and that this might have caused the judder. Is this possible? When I asked if this is common I was told NO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Completely normal!!! I tested the ABS today at work. I work at a Toyota dealer fixing cars I took the bike out for a spin and when I returned I drove into one of the service bays around 10mph and grabbed the front brakes hard right before I hit a patch of oil, and it worked perfectly, it juddered, sure... But it never lost traction or felt out of control. Be happy your ABS works, have fun grabbing the front brakes hard and going through dirt water and oil too.
Note: If you don't have the ABS version, exersize caution when using front brake in slippery conditions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts