Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure about other countries. But in Malaysia, we frequently have bad weather. If it rains, and I use my bike (lets say everyday) do I need to lube the chain everyday after the ride?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Lube it whenever you think it needs it, or if it's rusty or kinked. Other wise about every 500km or every other tank of gas.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I'm with Brian - if you wait to see rust, it's too late.

When you come back from riding in good weather, take a minute to inspect the chain. If it looks or feels dry (no lube) - lube it. Because of the wet weather you'll have to do that at least once a week to keep it from rusting. Don't forget to hit the backside of the plates as well.

I use a wax lube that goes on wet and dries to leave a light wax film. That's about all you need. You are preventing the plates from rusting and lubing where the rollers contact the sprockets. The rest of the chain is lubed internally.

Jay

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Chain should alway look 'wet'
use Motul chain lube, its nice clear stuff.

Trolley jack under the rear linkage (Ive a bit of rubber on my jack) to lift the wheel slightly... (if you dont have a race stand, or someone to lean it over for you) while you spin the rear wheel and lube 2 revolutions of the chain.

Best to do it at the end of a ride while the chain is hot.. it wont fling off so much next ride.

A properly serviced chain takes something like 15% of the engine power... a poorly lubed/stretched/overtight one robs heaps more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts