·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Nice fab!

Gotta see the shop now. ;)

·
1,305 Posts
Nicely done, looks good.

how much weight can you carry/ hows the handling affected?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice fab!

Gotta see the shop now. ;)
Mostly done with flatbed die making tools (steel rule die). A regular sheet metal shop would probably laser + press brake.

how much weight can you carry/ hows the handling affected?
Probably only 5-10lb each - they're not as sturdy as I would like. I can't bend anything thicker than ~.060. I might have somebody try to make me a couple in .125.

Note: the bike is surprisingly asymmetrical.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Since somebody asked over on ADV, figured I'd post how I mounted the tunnel bag too. I didn't use the adapter pad, I just used the straps with d-rings wrapped around the points that the pillion seat hooks on to. The extra thickness doesn't seem to affect how the pillion seat attaches. The back, obviously, is just tied down.

Also, plenty of revisions to get the final pattern for those things. Laser cutters make this so much easier...

I also just did a Stuff Capacity test. Three changes of t-shirts, underwear, and socks, plus a pair of shorts in one. Bulky hooded sweatshirt and a pair of pants in the other. Just about fills both cases up without pressing everything down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you have attachment points to the frame? If so where? Are you attached through the same 4 bolts of the grab bars? Can I see a picture of how it's mounted under the pillion seat without the bags and everything else in the way?

Also a side picture of the mount with the pillion seat removed, I want to see how you're clearing the small slot between the rear seat and the plastics.

Also it looks like you've drilled some holes through the fender plastics? Are you re-enforcing them in any ways?

·
Registered
232 Posts
So when are you putting these mounts into production ?????? LOL. Cause I just might want a set !!

That is one sweet setup....perfect for travel !!! Looks clean and simple to use ! Just what I need for "touring" on the CBR250r !!!!! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Do you have attachment points to the frame? If so where? Are you attached through the same 4 bolts of the grab bars? Can I see a picture of how it's mounted under the pillion seat without the bags and everything else in the way?

Also a side picture of the mount with the pillion seat removed, I want to see how you're clearing the small slot between the rear seat and the plastics.

Here are some screen grabs from eDrawings. I can send the whole assy file if you want to take a look. Crappy quality, didn't feel like rebooting to windows to open solidworks.

Also it looks like you've drilled some holes through the fender plastics? Are you re-enforcing them in any ways?
Just big fender washers.

So when are you putting these mounts into production ?????? LOL. Cause I just might want a set !!
Never. They're simply not good enough. If somebody can figure out a good way to mount saddlebags to this thing I'll buy it to replace mine. These are adequate, but not production worthy. They require relocating the exhaust, and I can't push them out far enough to clear the caliper on big bumps because then they will be unbalanced and the torque will bend the mounts. Right now they hang sort-of balanced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts