Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the past, I already had experience with a magnetic oil drain plug (On an Austin Metro car - The photos below). Metal particles the size of microns line up next to the magnet like hairs (it's metal powder as a result of normal engine wear). This powder cannot be seen with the naked eye, but when the particles are captured by the magnet, they are seen arranged according to the lines of magnetic flux. Does it contribute to improving the life of the engine? It would be correct to assume so, even though it is not a big drama. [LINK to HAYNES | Austin Metro - Wikipedia]
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle
Gesture Font Art Automotive design Rectangle
Font Parallel Document Paper Number

So I bought one from WEMOTO - Link to the part I bought.
Photo gallery
Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Software
Household hardware Fastener Gear Nickel Screw
Automotive tire Household hardware Nickel Cylinder Gas
Automotive lighting Font Gas Jewellery Metal
Household hardware Fastener Nickel Screw Gear
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Fender Gas Automotive exhaust

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Reactions: Mory and goool89

· Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Please update this next time you change your oil, with pictures of the magnetic bolt(y)
Get a spoiler: The outcome is known. I already experienced it decades ago with my Austin Metro. And today you will find a bunch of pictures and movies on the Internet, two of which I brought you doun here. Micron chips of metal, in a completely negligible amount, dust of metal, arranged in the form of "hairs" according to the magnetic field of the magnet. This metal dust comes from normal wear of the engine, wear that never stops, it's normal, no engine is built to last forever.
The questions that can be asked in addition:
Does the oil filter stop these micron metal particles?
Answer:
Yes, the oil filter stops them.
2. Can those microscopic metal particles that circulate in the oil cause wear in the engine?
The answer:
No, the oil that is sprayed in the engine is oil after filtering. The oil in the pan is "used" oil that is waiting there for a new lubrication cycle. All the oil that the oil pump pushes to the moving parts of the engine is filtered in the oil filter.
3. Does the magnet catch aluminum chips?
Answer:
No, the magnet only captures ferromagnetic materials.
4. So why should we use a magnetic drain plug?
The answer:
Most manufacturers think this is completely unnecessary. The manufacturer uses a magnet only where there is no filter, as for example in the oil found in the drive shaft. If there are microscopic particles that the filter did not stop, they are so small, and in such small quantity, that their effect on wear is completely negligible. How insignificant is that? The amount of metal powder that the magnet captures in 5000 km is nothing from nothing, not even a gram of powder. when you wipe the head of the magnet it stains the wiping rag with a metallic black color, so psychologically it seems like a lot, but it is nothing from nothing.
5. So why do I use a magnetic plug?
The answer:
I bought it in a moment of enthusiasm when the motorcycle just arrived to me, to "spoil" the engine. Then it got lost, and this week I found it, and I'm no longer as enthusiastic and excited as I was two years ago (because I've had the motorcycle for two years now), but I said to my self,"Hey what the hell am I doing with it", and I put it on the motorcycle. It's such a hobby. It took me a while to remember who I bought it from (WEMOTO)... it's all about OCD:coffee:(y)

• Helpful
Reactions: goool89
1 - 4 of 4 Posts