Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday I took my bike to dealer for it first maintenance ( 1K km) first they told me that was needed to make it at 500kms for "safety reasons":confused: then they said it is necessary to take it again at 2000 kms and then at 5000 kms, is that right ???? I read that second schedule maintenance is at 6000 and third at 12,000. Do you keep as per maintenance manual recomendations?

·
Registered
152 Posts
first service after 1000KM or 1 month.
then 12000KM
i can give you advice do the second service at 6000KM or earlier you will know when time to change the oil when gear will start to be clunky

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The dealer told me to come in at 600 miles and the next would be at 4000. What do they check?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I asked them that, they said....it´s because is a 250 !!!! that´s why we have to check it before !!! i really don´t think they know more than japanese,
So I´ll follow HONDA maintenance manual.

·
Registered
282 Posts
my owners manual says first service 1000km, then 12000km, but as Strelok89 said, I also did a service at 6 months/6000k mark.
your owners manual will tell you what they should be checking.

@Strelok89 my username is no reference to you, it is a computer game reference(S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl to be exact) :D

·
Registered
501 Posts
Of course some dealers going to try & get you in there more than you need. Its the way the dealers work. Some go by the book & some dont. They play on peoples fears that bike will have problems for one reason or the other. Go by the manual for which country you live in.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Of course some dealers going to try & get you in there more than you need. Its the way the dealers work. Some go by the book & some dont. They play on peoples fears that bike will have problems for one reason or the other. Go by the manual for which country you live in.
I agree..... there is not a lot of work in a cheapish, low maintenance motorcycle for the dealer and the grease monkeys they employ. Some will try to generate a bit more. Heck, some riders on this forum advocate doing a lot more than is specified, often for little real reason other than that it is relatively cheap..... It may increase the service life of the machine a bit, but is it cost effective?

In the end it is your money, your choice.

For years I have just done what is specified, and anything additional as required. Occasionally I do something in advance to ensure reliability, before a long journey, or to cover a period when I know I will have limited access to a workshop.

·
Registered
152 Posts
my owners manual says first service 1000km, then 12000km, but as Strelok89 said, I also did a service at 6 months/6000k mark.
your owners manual will tell you what they should be checking.

@Strelok89 my username is no reference to you, it is a computer game reference(S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl to be exact) :D
the meaning of strelok is marksman my nick name is from online games

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My manual says to bring it to the shop @ 600 miles. They told me it will cost $280 to basically change the oil, the filter, and inspect some "stuff". <-- Is THAT REALLY what's going to happen??? I don't know how to change the oil yet but I will learn if it means saving $250!!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Their supposed to inspect & adjust the valves at the 600 mile also.
In my opinion I would learn to do the oil change yourself, you will save yourself alot of money.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, thanks for all your advice !!!!!!
my first check ( 1000 km) cost me only $29.50, oil change +filter + general revision, chain lub etc.
I´ll stay as per service manual.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
My manual says to bring it to the shop @ 600 miles. They told me it will cost $280 to basically change the oil, the filter, and inspect some "stuff". <-- Is THAT REALLY what's going to happen??? I don't know how to change the oil yet but I will learn if it means saving $250!!!!
Its the valve clearance check after the engine is run in., you only have to get it done at 600 miles and then 2 yrs later @ 16,000 miles.
2hr job @ $75- $100 per hour (Not sure of USA labour charge rates)
We all have to do it, the salesman should have told you at point of sale.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Its the valve clearance check after the engine is run in., you only have to get it done at 600 miles and then 2 yrs later @ 16,000 miles.
2hr job @ $75- $100 per hour (Not sure of USA labour charge rates)
We all have to do it, the salesman should have told you at point of sale.
Yea he mentioned a price but I wanted to make sure he was being legitimate by comparing with others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It might be worth trying to pin down the service department as whether that price includes adjusting the valves(changing out shims) or just checking the clearance. Perhaps it doesn't make a difference, but I thought I read on this forum that checking the valves wasn't too challenging, but actually changing the shims can be be fairly challenging to get decent access.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Simple, just ask them for the figures.

Am sensing dealers in the rest of the world should not have a licence to sell hondas.. seem so much mistrust. it would not happen here, they'd be out of business real quick by customers and Honda.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As per Honda, the service interval in India is 6,000 km though engine oil change is only on alternate service i.e. every 12,000 km.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My first service which was yesterday at 1050km was 247.33 including oil and filter, and everything he even emailed me with what he adjusted on the valves, and cleaned er up for me!!!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'm thinking I will probably take it up there around 900 miles. 600 is right around the corner and I think everything is good to go.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Simple, just ask them for the figures.

Am sensing dealers in the rest of the world should not have a licence to sell hondas.. seem so much mistrust. it would not happen here, they'd be out of business real quick by customers and Honda.
That seems to be the idea. I just can't seem to justify $300 for a visual inspection and perhaps a looksie at the valves.

What if I were to avoid this entirely?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts