Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking to get a bike for about 3 or 4 months, I was planning to get a Cbr250r next month, but now I must wait till next year due to some unforeseen circumstances. I was at my local dealer looking and asked about the first maintenance. I was told "The first maintenance is unnecessary and Honda has people over do maintenance. It's not necessary to do it until 3000 miles. No one here will do it until they have to. If you want the valves adjusted then we will gladly do it and charge you for it" By this time I am in complete shock that someone would tell me this. I am now afraid to buy a bike there due to having maintenance done(Will they actually do it or just say they did it and charge me for it?) and the other shop is 50 miles away.This place also wants to charge me for a freight charge, the bike is sitting in the showroom!

Hi, I am Shawn BTW.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sorry about the dealer. Here we sit in the middle of a crappy economy, and people dont want the work. Will they actually do the work? that is also a valid question. there are many styles of valve train and motorcycles, this one is simple and basic mechanically. This is how they keep the price low. I would not overlook the valve adjustment on the breakin service, many people here have stated their valves were out of spec.

I hope your problems resolve and you get your bike. Go talk to the other dealer, see how they are. I have a dealer 1 mile away or less, and I drove abot 22 miles to a dealer I like. Best to you Shawn.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Do the service

My valves were out of spec and the bike had a lot more power after the first service.

I highly recommend it.

'njoy,
awk

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
We need more valve clearance threads.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
my valves were in spec i was told after the first service...i was charged $140 for the valve check...thats on top of the $130 for oil change n misc charges,taxes... $270 is a huge hit in the wallet for me....i think i will not take it back to them again untill the 24000 mile valve check...ill do oil changes and other things myself from now on till then..im a lot cheaper than the $70 hour dealers charge

·
Registered
329 Posts
I booked the first service for thursday morning: the dealer guy was uncertain about the valve check
though I strongly underlined that it has to be done.
He vaguely responded "we will check in the manual"...
This dealer staff doesn't have much reputation about accuracy and I am a little concerned
but can I go somewhere else without making warranty void?

·
Registered
681 Posts
It's amazing to me that dealers don't know the maintenance schedule for the bikes they sell. Seems like that should be service 101 for any dealer.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I posted about this in another thread but my dealer (Cool Springs Honda) that I purchased from said 1. The valve check isn't due until 16,000 miles and that if I requested them to do it they would. 2. If they did have to adjust the valves it would cost me almost 600 bucks out the door for all of the valve checks, cable adjustments oil filter, oil labor blah blah blah.. I obviously pushed back and said this is a single cylinder motor with 4 valves and that they must be thinking about all of the other CBR schedules. The maintenance guy looked at me and says "your bike is a CBR." I said he was crazy and that it was absurd to charge someone the same amount for a single cylinder 250 as they would a 4 cylinder 600 or 1000 cc... Then I left.

I called Sloan's Honda yesterday afternoon and the service manager answered, I told him what i wanted and he simply said let me look at the manual and came back and said that $275 would cover everything including valve check and adjustment if need be.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I checked mine myself. I was lucky the were in spec but that + oil change only cost me $25

1 - 11 of 11 Posts